MON - Shearer for England

Mr. Snrub

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_2919810,00.html

Alan Shearer has been tipped to take over as the next England manager by Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill.

The former England and Newcastle striker, who has no managerial experience, has emerged as one of the contenders to replace axed boss Steve McClaren.

O'Neill, who ruled himself out of the running on Friday as he is committed to his Villa Park role, believes Shearer is the ideal candidate.

The Football Association have vowed to take their time over finding a replacement for McClaren in the wake of the dismal Euro 2008 qualification campaign.

Support

And O'Neill told the News of the World: "I think the set-up is geared up for Shearer and there would be a ground-swell of support for the idea from the normal fan.

"Holland are happy with Marco van Basten and the Germans were always content with Jurgen Klinsmann.

"It's a route the FA haven't been down before but both Klinsmann and Van Basten have been successful and you can't ignore the idea."

I agree with him and can see it happening tbh.  Think it would be perfect job for Shearer.  Young, motivated, clearly loves the national team and will have the respect of all the players.

I give you this quote from Wednesday night at half-time.

"We need to foul one of them, rattle 'em, anything to get the crowd going"

Inspiring, Al.

Not as stupid as it sounds, actually.

Surely the FA will sit up and take notice that other countries are doing it and it is working.

I am of the opinion that the manager should be English and they aren't exactly a number of good English managers floating about.

Doing what?

Hiring ex-players who are young and hungry for success and passionate about the job.

Being passionate isn't enough as England's continued failure stands testament. Success doesn't come with huff and puff and high tempo either...It comes with insight and a good understading of the modern game. Shearer doesn't have that yet.

Hiring ex-players who are young and hungry for success and passionate about the job.

Being passionate isn't enough as England's continued failure stands testament. Success doesn't come with huff and puff and high tempo either...It comes with insight and a good understading of the modern game. Shearer doesn't have that yet.

On what evidence is there to base this on?

Guest pikapig

it's not a sure win formula, just look at steve stauton.

For what the obvious?

For what the obvious?

Answer the question Parky.

On what evidence are you using for your judgement that Shearer doesn't have good insight and understanding of the modern game?

For what the obvious?

On what evidence are you using for your judgement that Shearer doesn't have good insight and understanding of the modern game?

Well he hasn't even had one coaching job yet.

Coaching badges aren't all their cracked up to be as we are witnessing with SA. :angel:

What evidence do you have that he does posess the requred knowledge...?

Yeah I thougt so. bluerazz.gif

For what the obvious?

Coaching badges aren't all their cracked up to be as we are witnessing with SA. :angel:

Did I ever say he did though Parky? You're just jumping to conclusions based on no concrete evidence.

Michael Owen, also gave his backing to the top scorer in Premier League history.

"Alan would certainly command the respect of the team," the injured Owen said in the News of the World.

"I haven't spoken to him so I don't know whether he wants it or not. Anyone with that experience and ability would automatically have the respect of the dressing room.

"It comes down to whether the FA would appoint someone without managerial experience."

linky

For what the obvious?

Did I ever say he did though Parky? You're just jumping to conclusions based on no concrete evidence.

The evidence is there if you read the post instead of trying to be clever dick.  :razz:

Holland are happy with Marco van Basten

:nope:

Only reason that he isn't already slaughtered (like Advocaat during Euro 2004) is because he is one of the best NL players ever.

Strange tactics, replacing RvN, van Bommel, Seedorf for Dutch league players and changed it back after another bad perfomance, plays vd Vaart as a right winger, terrible macthes and only qualified because of a weak group H.

Most likely he will be replaced after Euro 2008 and hardly no Nl will regret that.

Clever way for MON to deflect the attention away from himself.

Shearer as the next England manager is total nonsense. We cant afford to take a chance on a person with no managerial or coaching experience whatsoever.

The next manager has to be proven at international level or at least have had success in european club competition.

Havent got a clue who mind but we have to take the time to find someone.

Clever way for MON to deflect the attention away from himself.

Shearer as the next England manager is total nonsense. We cant afford to take a chance on a person with no managerial or coaching experience whatsoever.

The next manager has to be proven at international level or at least have had success in european club competition.

Havent got a clue who mind but we have to take the time to find someone.

You'd think so wouldn't you.

Can't believe anyone would even consider this when someone like Capello has expressed an interest.

Capello also has negatives though?

Real Madrid sacked him even though they won the league because they didn't think his football was entertaining. He plays very defensive football. Can England fans tolerate that?

He has a reputation for falling out with players. That could be a good thing, or it could equally be a bad thing. He dropped Beckham for ages when he was in form, just because he had signed up for LA Galaxy. Then he went back on the decision.

He doesn't speak English. He can learn that, but at the moment it is a negative.

He also has a reputation for having a huge ego. Also could be a good thing, but as we are feeling with Allardyce, maybe not.

There is a possibility or suspicion that he may have been involved in the Juventus match fixing scandal when they won the Italian title but were disqualified. I don't know for sure if he was, but any suspicion would go against him with the FA wouldn't it?

Club football does not always translate to International football.

I'm not saying he would be not be a good choice, maybe he would, but it is not quite as black and white as some think it is.

Can't believe anyone would even consider this when someone like Capello has expressed an interest.

Real Madrid sacked him even though they won the league because they didn't think his football was entertaining. He plays very defensive football. Can England fans tolerate that?

He has a reputation for falling out with players. That could be a good thing, or it could equally be a bad thing. He dropped Beckham for ages when he was in form, just because he had signed up for LA Galaxy. Then he went back on the decision.

He doesn't speak English. He can learn that, but at the moment it is a negative.

There is a possibility or suspicion that he may have been involved in the Juventus match fixing scandal when they won the Italian title but were disqualified. I don't know for sure if he was, but any suspicion would go against him with the FA wouldn't it?

I'm not saying he would be not be a good choice, maybe he would, but it is not quite as black and white as some think it is.

Capello for me is quite simply the best club manager of the past two decades, if he was interested we'd be mad not to pursue.

Capello for me is quite simply the best club manager of the past two decades, if he was interested we'd be mad not to pursue.

He should definately be considered, and the fact he is so interested and sees it as a challenge should go in his favour.

I'm just trying to point out it is not all positives, and as I said in the edit, club football and International football are not the same thing. Sometimes a club manager makes a good international manager, and sometimes not.

Difficult to know when, but I would feel more confident about the choices if more football people were making the decision instead of businessmen which we have at the FA.