The booing perspective - Joey Barton has his say on us...

Benwell Lad
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Spot on, when Barton shows some regret for the crimes he has committed and starts to show a bit of humility I maight start taking anything he says seriously.

Something he has actually done if you read this months FourFourTwo.

Sorry, not everyone reads FourFourTwo, should they be booed?

Spot on, when Barton shows some regret for the crimes he has committed and starts to show a bit of humility I maight start taking anything he says seriously.

There was an in depth interview with him and excluding the upcoming cout case which he isn't allowed to discuss, he went through a list of all his past misdemeanours, and admitted he was wrong in his actions.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Teamtalk

But Frank Gilmour, chairman of the Independent Newcastle United Supporters' Association, believes Barton should shut up or risk facing the fans' frustrations himself.

"If (Barton) says we don't have the right to criticise, then he wants to learn," said Gilmour. "He obviously knows nothing about the north-east and its passion for football. That performance was from a clueless manager who did not know what he was doing, that was the fans' opinion.

"For (Barton) to come out and say that, he has lost it.

"He has been at the club five minutes and hasn't put in a good performance yet. For him to then turn around and criticise the fans is totally wrong. He should have kept his mouth shut.

"He will learn what happens after you criticise Newcastle fans. It takes a long, long time for us to forgive. I would be very, very surprised if he doesn't get a reaction at Blackburn."

Gilmour believes fans have been patient with Allardyce but insists there is a growing sense among supporters that the former Bolton boss is struggling.

"I was one of the fans who shouted 'you don't know what you're doing'," Gilmour added.

"We know how the game should be played - not as well as managers because they get paid a lot of money to actually organise the teams - but we could see that the balance was not right (against Liverpool) and that was an absolutely shocking performance."

:blush: Embarrassed for the club that this man is the voice of the Independent supporters, and embarrassed for myself to be associated with him as a supporter

There was an in depth interview with him and excluding the upcoming cout case which he isn't allowed to discuss, he went through a list of all his past misdemeanours, and admitted he was wrong in his actions.

I was thinking more along the lines of the crimes he's been committing on the pitch a la his level of performance.

I was thinking more along the lines of the crimes he's been committing on the pitch a la his level of performance.

I was talking to thenorthumbrian who clearly believes that Barton's past actions are relevant.

As for Barton's performances, I seem to remember the likes of Wayne Rooney and David Beckham playing poorly for months after breaking a metatarsal.

It is a difficult injury to come back from and immediately find form.

Guest Geordiesned

I'll reserve my judgement on Barton as a person until after a verdict is delivered in his court case.

As a player, he showed at Man City that he's undoubtedly a very talented player but he's showed nothing yet at Newcastle and if anything has been very poor.

I hope Barton doesn't get stick tbh.  I don't think it was a great move to say it, but he's sort of right, and i respect him for speaking out.

Do you think he will?

The opinion on here is quite divided so it's definitely a possibility.

Teamtalk

But Frank Gilmour, chairman of the Independent Newcastle United Supporters' Association, believes Barton should shut up or risk facing the fans' frustrations himself.

"If (Barton) says we don't have the right to criticise, then he wants to learn," said Gilmour. "He obviously knows nothing about the north-east and its passion for football. That performance was from a clueless manager who did not know what he was doing, that was the fans' opinion.

"For (Barton) to come out and say that, he has lost it.

"He has been at the club five minutes and hasn't put in a good performance yet. For him to then turn around and criticise the fans is totally wrong. He should have kept his mouth shut.

"He will learn what happens after you criticise Newcastle fans. It takes a long, long time for us to forgive. I would be very, very surprised if he doesn't get a reaction at Blackburn."

Gilmour believes fans have been patient with Allardyce but insists there is a growing sense among supporters that the former Bolton boss is struggling.

"I was one of the fans who shouted 'you don't know what you're doing'," Gilmour added.

"We know how the game should be played - not as well as managers because they get paid a lot of money to actually organise the teams - but we could see that the balance was not right (against Liverpool) and that was an absolutely shocking performance."

:blush: Embarrassed for the club that this man is the voice of the Independent supporters, and embarrassed for myself to be associated with him as a supporter

"He doesnt know what he is doing.... we know how the game should be played"

Arrogant idiot.

The lads got booed off at half-time against an excellent Villa side, so those saying the boos follow a poor performance are wrong.

Players get jeered after 2 minutes of the game for mistakes (every match), so those saying the boos follow a poor performance are wrong.

The crowd want a decent craic on a saturday afternoon. If we're winning, its great to be vocal in support of the team, if we're not then the next best thing is to jeer and boo. People took a perverse pleasure and were laughing at the songs at the end of the Liverpool game.

I have read the Barton article, he is pretty much right but used a poor set of words to describe what has been happening.  "Vicious" is way over the top.

People are fed up of negative football. FED UP.

I hope Barton doesn't get stick tbh.  I don't think it was a great move to say it, but he's sort of right, and i respect him for speaking out.

Do you think he will?

The opinion on here is quite divided so it's definitely a possibility.

I think he will. With any luck it'll just be a little tongue-in-cheek booing.

Admin - feel free to merge with current thread if appropriate.

Everyone's gonna have a view on this emotive issue - whats your's?

Rules;

Poll can't be viewed until vote received and;

Voters can change their vote if they wish.

That is all.

When a bunch of players is looking second best against every side they play, it's better to do your talking on the pitch. Do that and you have evry right to expect the plaudits. To keep playing shit and then expect the fans to be patient is unrealistic and not constructive either. You can't have it both ways.

He's talking bollocks in all honesty. How were the fans to blame for 3-0 down in 11 minutes? How does he explain being totally insipid on the road? How do Barcelona and Real cope under the pressure of some of the most demanding fans in the world?

I thought Joey Barton didn't make excuses, doesn't sound like that to me.

spot on.

not really too bothered by his comments tho, the SJP crowd are more vicious than most, but the other side of the coin is that when things are going well there's no where better to play your football, it is just more intense here, good and bad, than at man city or fulham or wherever. some have called it a latin temperament but it's not quite that bad, but the truth is the likes of joey barton have to get used to it and learn how to use the crowd to their effect. tho he mentions kluivert (wrongly), even he had a good rapport with the fans imo.

the only thing i have an issue with is barton seemingly using this as an excuse and the veiled threat that "if you go out there against arsenal with that atmosphere, we'll lose". that's pretty pathetic.

Dont use "vicious".  We are not Vicious supporters.   Cynical is a better word to describe the current mood of the fans.

I dunno. Some of the booing was pretty nasty, tbh, and some fans really had a go a Allardyce.

Dont use "vicious".  We are not Vicious supporters.  Cynical is a better word to describe the current mood of the fans.

I dunno. Some of the booing was pretty nasty, tbh, and some fans really had a go a Allardyce.

I feel sorry for Allardyce, but he's took it on the chin so fair play to him. Joey's gob seems a lot bigger than his talent so  I'd really rather he kept it shut until he can back his words with some performances.

Aye a few agitated people were up on their feet venting but the not  all 50,000  of us.  The media will latch on to such a word and make it sound like all Newcastle fans are vicous horrible supporters who will spit in a nuns face, given the chance. 

Joey Barton decides to turn tables on Newcastle’s ‘vicious’ fans

Jason Mellor

Living in the heart of the city, where he regularly mingles with Newcastle United supporters, Joey Barton might have been advised to refrain from using such terms as “vicious” and “baying for blood” when it comes to describing the club’s loyal followers.

However, far from being the latest foot-in-mouth outburst from a young man well known for shooting from the lip, the emotive language has been employed as part of an impassioned plea for change to the 52,000 souls he feels have become more of a hindrance than a help to the team in which they invest such emotional capital.

the only quality that has singled out Newcastle as a big club during the near four-decade search for a significant trophy

“I came to the club expecting this famous crowd getting behind us, but I’ve yet to see that. Instead, it’s been vicious,” he said. Normally, [the Newcastle crowd]such a critique of a body of support that has generally earned widespread respect would be met with stunned silence.

Barton has been stunned by the vibes exuding from the stands “I don’t think I’ve heard a crowd this vicious,” he said. “There is a fear factor. During the Liverpool game Peter Crouch came up to me and said the same thing.

“You look at the calibre of players here over the last ten years, like Patrick Kluivert, Jermaine Jenas and Scott Parker, and this crowd has been vicious enough to eat players up. They are top, top players and they didn’t do so well here.”

Jenas was keen to escape the “goldfish bowl” of life in the North East.

Barton, who hopes to earn a recall to the midfield today in front of 6,000 travelling supporters away to Blackburn Rovers, said:

“I understand the fans’ frustration, but the foreign players hear the jeers and boos and it must be really difficult for them. They’ve come here and played 13 games and already the crowd are baying for blood.”

everyone under-estimates our crowd

I understand where Joey is at: he has moved club, his old club are doing a lot better without him, the new chap running the show at City scores & creates goals like he never will. We know Barton is mentally weak & has a lashing out mentality & this his anger release. I am taking it with a pinch of salt as I would rather he fired a broadside in the papers rather than kick an opponent & get sent off. Today we travel to Blackburn a ground if I remember correctly where the Man City fans chanted "YOUR NOT FIT TO WEAR THE SHIRT" now that's really viscous

What? So it's ok for you to hit your lass so long as your neighbour is beating her?

At what point did I say that?

You didn't, it's called an analogy. What I'm trying to get across is that you're condoning something which many find unacceptable on the basis that someone else has done/is doing it to a greater degree.