Allardyce interview on SSN

brummie

Anything is possible in football,Chelski fans would'nt of dreamed Jose was to be shown the door..

There are plenty of big name managers that would come if the transfer budget was big enough

Such as? Bearing in mind they only have 13 games to get it right?

That's the whole point that a lot of people are failing to understand. Any other manager worth having will have CHOICES.

Why on earth would they choose a club like ours which has not won anything in years - and are beginning to get a terrible reputation for not giving their managers time to sort things out. Any manager worth their salt will not choose us they will choose a club where they can get time and patience from the fans and have more chance of winning stuff.

give him some time for fucks sake, he'll get there.

You don't know that so why make assumptions?   There is currently no evidence whatsoever to suggest he can turn things around.

Comparing Allardyce to the likes of Moyes and Hughes is stupid as their expectations when they got appointed were not half as high as ours were this season.

you don't know he wont, so are we going to have one of those arguments? surely not.

and there surely is evidence, like our best start in 11 years. and also what he did at bolton, we hvant had a manager with a track record in a good while.

yes we have had 4 very very poor games, but thats not grounds to sack him is it.

if your expectations were higher than those of blackburn and everton then you're an idiot.

then again, after your luque craic that pretty much adds up

Well let's see, they finished 15th the season before Moyes took over, so yeah, at the time I doubt many Everton fans had expectations of anything above mid table.

Complete cobblers.

If we sack him, what exactly will it accomplish? When are people going to realise that this depressing cycle of hire em and fire em is not the answer. What if his replacement makes a hash of it, will we want him out after 13 games?

Two examples- Moyes and Redknapp. Its taken them a good few seasons to mould some strong looking sides but if they'd been at NUFC they would never have had the chance as they would have been sacked yonks ago.

the most sensible post in here.

a third example is hughes.

and if he gets there playing s**** football, i for one couldnt care.

we've played s**** football for years, and lost.

we might as well play s**** football and win.

The thing is we are playing rubbish and losing

hence the words IF HE GETS THERE.

Never having been entirely convinced by Allardyce's appointment (after Christmas last season Bolton were worse than us) I think that he has to be judged a little more easily. 

Constant themes on this board: Taylor is shite, Ramage is shite, Babayaro is shite, Bramble is shite, Carr is fat and shite, Edgar's too young. So Allardyce buys or acquires Beye, Jose Enrique, Cacapa, Rozehnal and Faye. This inevitably means that the defence will take time to gel, individual players to adjust (especially at centre-back). Poor defensive performances have cost us but its part of the process.

Individual players are playing badly; one thing that made me wonder about the outburst on Saturday in respect of the N'Zogbia substitution was that he'd played his worst game for an age; the same rules apply to him as apply to others, if he's not giving you anything in a particular game he's liable to be subbed. That's not to say he was the only one, Emre passed badly, defenders defended badly and the two up front could have sat next to me if they'd asked.

I see a team not functioning as a unit and individual performances suffering as a result. There has been upheaval at the club in most ways. Changes in ownership, changes in personnel and change of manager. Thirteen games is not enough to know whether Allardyce can make it work though and, to be fair to him, his track record says he will get it right. He's not just managing the team, he's also managing the whole process of change that's befallen us.

As I said, he's not necessarily my cup of tea but we've got him and he has to be given time or we're simply propelled into another cycle of change, temporary improvement and then the hard bit, sustaining it all.

You don't know that so why make assumptions?  There is currently no evidence whatsoever to suggest he can turn things around.

Comparing Allardyce to the likes of Moyes and Hughes is stupid as their expectations when they got appointed were not half as high as ours were this season.

And who's bloody fault is that? You can't blame BSA for the fact that a lot of our fanbase is made up of impatient fuck wits.

Given our situation, at least challenging for 6th was the realistic expectation.

Scott, you are highlighting the major problem we have at the club- the weight of overexpectation. How on earth would anyone inherit the holy mess left by Souness, Roeder and Shepherd and turn us into a side challenging for 6th?! I'm all for ambition but make it realistic. What we need to see is the club make steady progress with the limited squad we have and try and establish ourselves in the top half. A more realistic target given the crap we've endured would be about 9th. If supporters cant accept that that represents positive progress then fans like yourself will be let down time after time. Sure the season after this we should be progressing and targetting the UEFA Cup positions but expecting this side to finish 6th this year is madness.

Never having been entirely convinced by Allardyce's appointment (after Christmas last season Bolton were worse than us) I think that he has to be judged a little more easily. 

Constant themes on this board: Taylor is shite, Ramage is shite, Babayaro is shite, Bramble is shite, Carr is fat and shite, Edgar's too young. So Allardyce buys or acquires Beye, Jose Enrique, Cacapa, Rozehnal and Faye. This inevitably means that the defence will take time to gel, individual players to adjust (especially at centre-back). Poor defensive performances have cost us but its part of the process.

Individual players are playing badly; one thing that made me wonder about the outburst on Saturday in respect of the N'Zogbia substitution was that he'd played his worst game for an age; the same rules apply to him as apply to others, if he's not giving you anything in a particular game he's liable to be subbed. That's not to say he was the only one, Emre passed badly, defenders defended badly and the two up front could have sat next to me if they'd asked.

I see a team not functioning as a unit and individual performances suffering as a result. There has been upheaval at the club in most ways. Changes in ownership, changes in personnel and change of manager. Thirteen games is not enough to know whether Allardyce can make it work though and, to be fair to him, his track record says he will get it right. He's not just managing the team, he's also managing the whole process of change that's befallen us.

As I said, he's not necessarily my cup of tea but we've got him and he has to be given time or we're simply propelled into another cycle of change, temporary improvement and then the hard bit, sustaining it all.

Spot on.

Only 13 games and all you whingers are complaining that he hasn't performed miracles yet, you outta be ashamed!

Given our situation, at least challenging for 6th was the realistic expectation.

No it wasn't.  Look at the teams challenging for 6th, they're cohesive units.  We were and still are as disjointed as they come.  I always thought we'd finish around 10th and get sorted out behind the scenes as that has been fucked for just under a decade. 

The teams above us have stability, something we've sorely lacked.  We're a year behind Villa and if you ask Brummie, I'm sure he thinks they're a year or two behind teams sitting in the top 6 spots. 

Christ on a Vespa, I missed that :lol:

The top 4 is stowed off, there was no chance of us getting there. Spurs in all probability were favourites for fifth and HMP Fratton Park, Everton and Blackburn were all on steady inclines and probably had the next three positions sewed. That leaves us, Wist 'Am, Villa and Citeh, who underperformed last year, to fight it out for the rest of the places. We were arguably in the worst state out of those four clubs.

I think people were really critiscing because of the performance against Liverpool

It was honestly the worst i have ever seen newcastle play

Well i was there and watched the full 90 minutes again last night and tbf until we went one down they didnt really have much of a chance and twice there was a last ditch interception from Carragher then Hyppia stopped Martins and Viduka getting in.

We were terrible from there on in and the second half was dreadful but no worse than Birmingham last year, playing a team light years ahead of Birmingham. I was impressed with Liverpool despite our shitness.

Scott, you are highlighting the major problem we have at the club- the weight of overexpectation. How on earth would anyone inherit the holy mess left by Souness, Roeder and Shepherd and turn us into a side challenging for 6th?! I'm all for ambition but make it realistic. What we need to see is the club make steady progress with the limited squad we have and try and establish ourselves in the top half. A more realistic target given the crap we've endured would be about 9th. If supporters cant accept that that represents positive progress then fans like yourself will be let down time after time. Sure the season after this we should be progressing and targetting the UEFA Cup positions but expecting this side to finish 6th this year is madness.

I think the vast majority of people would have had expectations of a top 8 finish this season, including Ashley, which is fair imo.  When you see clubs in a similar situation to ourselves previous seasons doing so well you can't help but think "Why can't we be doing this?"

We have a squad more than capable of doing so, but because the manager is chopping and changing things so much to accomodate terrible tactics there is no stability whatsoever.

I think people were really critiscing because of the performance against Liverpool

It was honestly the worst i have ever seen newcastle play

Well i was there and watched the full 90 minutes again last night and tbf until we went one down they didnt really have much of a chance and twice there was a last ditch interception from Carragher then Hyppia stopped Martins and Viduka getting in.

We were terrible from there on in and the second half was dreadful but no worse than Birmingham last year, playing a team light years ahead of Birmingham. I was impressed with Liverpool despite our shitness.

Somehow, we were shit, but at 1-0 down I still expected a miracle draw or something.  'Pool couldn't penetrate most of the first half, but scoring as quickly as they did in the 2nd you could see every single player (excluding Beye, maybe) fucking deflate.  The atmosphere went to shit and so did everything else. 

:lol:

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=43872.0

Don't see you laughing at people saying it there.

Yeah you do. Lots of people got carried away (myself included) at that point in time.

'At least challenging for 6th' is still laughable as a 'realistic expectation'. :lol:

No wonder you want him out.