Why are there no decent English managers?

OzzieMandias

There's been all this talk about how there aren't enough good English players, the Premiership is to blame, blah blah blah.

But I think the bigger question is: Why are there no decent English managers? That the most credible English candidates are Allardyce or Redknapp is, well... incredible. Since Bobby Robson eased out of day-to-day football, there is no English manager in work who can claim a place at the games's top table.

It's not a new problem, either.

Last English manager to win the domestic league? Howard Wilkinson in 1992.

Last English manager to win a European trophy? Bobby Robson in 1997. And before that you have to go back to the mid-1980s to find one. The last English manager to win what's now called the Champions League was Joe Fagan in 1984.

So what's up with that?

There's been all this talk about how there aren't enough good English players, the Premiership is to blame, blah blah blah.

But I think the bigger question is: Why are there no decent English managers? That the most credible English candidates are Allardyce or Redknapp is, well... incredible. Since Bobby Robson eased out of day-to-day football, there is no English manager in work who can claim a place at the games's top table.

Last English manager to win a European trophy? Bobby Robson in 1997. And before that you have to go back to the mid-1980s to find one. The last English manager to win what's now called the Champions League was Joe Fagan in 1984.

So what's up with that?

They all try and play safe football defensive tactics

So what's up with that?

they have no choice realy, people want them out after 13 games so they are shit scared of losing! ;D (i'll keep that for the other thread)

So what's up with that?

Why are there no English managers who are more tactically adept?

one of the reasons i guess is because we have been a bit pre-historic over here in the past, using old methods and being stuck in our ways, and the continental approach was adopted, and succeeded, and we havnt caught up yet?

if fergie had been born 100 miles south we wouldnt have this issue! :nope:

There's no decent English managers because the Premiership is dominated by money the big 4 are not prepared to give the job to an Englishman.

Also chairman seem afraid to take punt on a young English manager and instead go for guys who have been there before. If I was a chairman of a Premiership club the first 4 names on my list would be Ince, Boothroyd, Wise and Shearer

There's no decent English managers because the Premiership is dominated by money the big 4 are not prepared to give the job to an Englishman.

Also chairman seem afraid to take punt on a young English manager and instead go for guys who have been there before. If I was a chairman of a Premiership club the first 4 names on my list would be Ince, Boothroyd, Wise and Shearer

Not prepared because they are not good enough.

You're chairman of a good Prem team.  You'd go for those 4 over people like Capello and Mourinho who are available?

Don't think so some how.

So what's up with that?

walking into a line of fire here but i honestly feel people like allardyce are getting that way.

problem is, the paul jewels etc of this world will never get a chance at a 'big club', i.e the top 4.

i guess its a knock on of having what has been the best leagueu in the world, all of teh best foriegners want to play here, so we sign them, same thing with the top gaffers.

its another reason why we dont have many english playing abroad, they all want to play here.

one of the reasons i guess is because we have been a bit pre-historic over here in the past, using old methods and being stuck in our ways, and the continental approach was adopted, and succeeded, and we havnt caught up yet?

At one point I would have blamed the European ban after Heysel -- and note that Joe Fagan, Howard Kendall and Keith Burkenshaw all won European trophies right before the scousers' night of shame.

But hell, it's been, what, 17 years now?

if fergie had been born 100 miles south we wouldnt have this issue! :nope:

True. But you can also wonder what it is about the Scottish system that the English system hasn't got?

Exactly, it's a circular argument.

So what's up with that?

walking into a line of fire here but i honestly feel people like allardyce are getting that way.

problem is, the paul jewels etc of this world will never get a chance at a 'big club', i.e the top 4.

i guess its a knock on of having what has been the best leagueu in the world, all of teh best foriegners want to play here, so we sign them, same thing with the top gaffers.

its another reason why we dont have many english playing abroad, they all want to play here.

I'm in fucking tears here, thanks  mackems.gif

So what's up with that?

Glenn Roeder - 2006 Intertwobob Cup.  :thup: 

Boothroyd - Got Watford to the Premiership. When they got the Premiership they spent no money and there best player was out for the season. Back in the Championship and are currently top.

Ince - Managed to keep a Macclesfield side up that looked doomed. Now at MK Dons and in his first season is currently top of League 2.

Wise - Fought hard against relegation last year. Now in League 1 and sitting in 5th despite having 15 pionts deducted, selling thier best players and spending nearly nothing. If they hadn't had the 15 piont deduction they would be 10 pionts clear at the top.

Shearer - Untried but so was Roy Keane, surely a chairman in the top two divisions should have a punt.

Top 3 have sohwn they are good managers and should really be given a shot at a big club.

So what's up with that?

Watching from afar, at Bolton, the main thing I liked about him was that he seemed unafraid to think about the game, and adopt new-fangled methods that might have been laughed at not too long ago. I remember looking at Wenger and his studious image and thinking: Are the foreign managers being successful because they don't have any stupid prejudices against approaching the job with your intellect.

Unless they prove themselves at a lower level first. If Allardyce was successful here...?

Ferguson had to make his mark first at Aberdeen.

Very true. But then again, chicken and egg, how come none of the top gaffers are English?

And we've only had a league that can attract the biggest fish for the last five-ten years. We've had no decent English managers for a lot longer than that.

You dont seriously think those manages should be given a job by the top 4??

None of them have proved anything at all.

Maybe not the top 4 but certainly teams in the top 10.

Again difficult to agree when there are better managers who would do a better job.

I would be furious if one of them was given our job.

You dont seriously think those manages should be given a job by the top 4??

None of them have proved anything at all.

Maybe not the top 4 but certainly teams in the top 10.

Again difficult to agree when there are better managers who would do a better job.

I would be furious if one of them was given our job.

To be honest I'd be pretty content with Boothroyd as our manager, probobly Shearer as well. If Wise and Ince get thier sides promoted this year then I think any doubts I have about them would go.