Peter Crouch

Kev

People need to face facts. We're a mid table club with aspirations of moving into the top half. We have a manager who is possibly way past his sell by date and an owner who at present time seems more focussed on balance sheets than football teams. We have no chairman at present and have a set up that, at best, seems a little odd.

If Peter Crouch really wants to ditch Liverpool and Champions League football to end up with our rag bag club then i would gladly shake him by the hand.

Anyone who thinks this is a ragbag club with an over the hill manager should probably join Crouch at Portsmouth. There's a nice lttle club with shed for a ground that can easily accomodate a few more supporters. Plus they've got a jowelly faced cunt for a manager whose wife tells him where he can work :thup:

I believe in my club, but the people saying only a mug would choose Pompey over us are deluded, tbh.

People need to face facts. We're a mid table club with aspirations of moving into the top half. We have a manager who is possibly way past his sell by date and an owner who at present time seems more focussed on balance sheets than football teams. We have no chairman at present and have a set up that, at best, seems a little odd.

If Peter Crouch really wants to ditch Liverpool and Champions League football to end up with our rag bag club then i would gladly shake him by the hand.

Anyone who thinks this is a ragbag club with an over the hill manager should probably join Crouch at Portsmouth. There's a nice lttle club with shed for a ground that can easily accomodate a few more supporters. Plus they've got a jowelly faced cunt for a manager whose wife tells him where he can work :thup:

I believe in my club, but the people saying only a mug would choose Pompey over us are deluded, tbh.

Aye, especially when their posts are less than accurate when it comes to facts... :razz:

Aye, especially when their posts are less than accurate when it comes to facts... :razz:

what facts are those

what facts are those

Not referring to you, mate. Hence why you weren't in that quote list. TRon's "25,000" comment when their ground only holds 20,000 and when he says they've got plenty of empty seats when I'm fairly sure I remember their ticket uptake for each game being right up there with us, not to mention the fact that they're desperate to build a new stadium to fulfill ticket demands.

Guest Sniffer

Some players will choose portsmouth because they are afraid of the pressure here. It's an easier option for them but I don't think Crouch is one of them. If KK could sell it to him I think he'd come especially as Viduka won't be back until Christmas at the earliest if he has the op.

what facts are those

Not referring to you, mate. Hence why you weren't in that quote list. TRon's "25,000" comment when their ground only holds 20,000 and when he says they've got plenty of empty seats when I'm fairly sure I remember their ticket uptake for each game being right up there with us, not to mention the fact that they're desperate to build a new stadium to fulfill ticket demands.

he's not too far out though, pompey is a canny little town and the supporters are quite good, but they [and Southampton] aren't that substantial in numbers to sustain being a top club. Without serious cash injections they will possibly bomb when Redknapp calls it a day. Building a new stadium will be nice but so far as numbers go I don't see any point in them building a stadium bigger than about 35000 at the most, and thats being generous.  Crouch, being British, will know this. The only way he would prefer pompey to us IMO is because he's played for Redknapp before.

No to Crouch - persoanlly think he flatters to decieve. He's distictinly average at every single aspect of his game, but covers his averageness with the odd goal - can easily get marked out a game - not so much when he's coming off the bench and offers something height wise. When he;s played consistenlty he's had a pretty consisitent habit of going through long long goal droughts.

Would like my strikers to pose more of a threat up front personally.

Would be easier to name the things he excels at. link up play maybe?

Can he not offer something height wise when he starts, no?

Very good first touch, quick feet, good awareness of his teammates runs, handful in the air due to his sheer size.

All useful talents in a target man, which is what we need.

Not a great finisher but he'll chip in with goals here and there.

Again, not world class or anything but I think he'd be a solid signing.

Well if we intend to play carpet football i cant see how his hieght would be that useful - he link up play is his main strength but for me doesnt offer enough as a striker abiloity wise - no pace, no strength, finsihing isnt great, doesnt use his height to his advantage.

Compare him with someone like Adebayor or Drogba then you start to see his fallacies as a target man, hell, compare him to what shearer could offer.

Not someone id want to lead the front line to be honest. Easily marked out the game.

Some players will choose portsmouth because they are afraid of the pressure here. It's an easier option for them but I don't think Crouch is one of them. If KK could sell it to him I think he'd come especially as Viduka won't be back until Christmas at the earliest if he has the op.

thats about the size of it

Guest BooBoo

Crouch gets the unfair label of being a poor-target man due to his height, when it's not his game at all.

Yep, in fact he bags more "Christ did you see that!" goals than the supposedly "class" Oba Martins.

what facts are those

he's not too far out though, pompey is a canny little town and the supporters are quite good, but they [and Southampton] aren't that substantial in numbers to sustain being a top club. Without serious cash injections they will possibly bomb when Redknapp calls it a day. Building a new stadium will be nice but so far as numbers go I don't see any point in them building a stadium bigger than about 35000 at the most, and thats being generous.  Crouch, being British, will know this. The only way he would prefer pompey to us IMO is because he's played for Redknapp before.

None of that changes the fact that what he posted was essentially bollocks, like, even if it fits your agenda.

That aside, I do hope we're still capable of attracting players like Crouch here ahead of clubs like Portsmouth, and I certainly don't buy into the thought that there's "no chance" a player would ever come here now ahead of their like (Villa, Spurs, Everton, etc.) even if all things were equal (wages, transfer fees, etc.) I just think for Crouch, personally, we'd be behind Pompey if it came to the crunch.

On top of Redknapp, they've just won the FA Cup, finished top 8 and are in the UEFA Cup and they might be able to offer more wages than us these days, rightly or wrongly.

Kenwyne Jones has had one good season, and it wasn't even that good, was it? 7 freaking goals. Crouch scored 12 for Southampton when they were relegated and he's improved since then. And Kenwyne Jones would cost a hell of a lot more than £8m.

the thing with that season at Southhampton that i awlays thought at the time is that he scored loads of goals from the penno spot - would be interesting to see how many goals he did score from 12 yards.

Put Jones in a good side and i think he'd be quality - he has immense strength his hold up play is some on the best in the premiership in my opinion and he's confident and seems to have decent techincal ability.

Sunderland were crap this season and didnt link up with him at all - prime example was at SJP where the irsih Puskas struggles to get anywhere near him even though he'd be retaining possesion in our final 3rd p[retty easily. Give him more support and i think he'd be useful for any side.

Like you say - price and goals scored would be an issue as would him playing for the unwashed but id take a punt if he was anywhere near Crouchs price bracket.

He could be the Emile Hesky to Michael Owen except with more of a goal threat even though this year says otherwise.

what facts are those

None of that changes the fact that what he posted was essentially bollocks, like, even if it fits your agenda.

That aside, I do hope we're still capable of attracting players like Crouch here ahead of clubs like Portsmouth, and I certainly don't buy into the thought that there's "no chance" a player would ever come here now ahead of their like (Villa, Spurs, Everton, etc.) even if all things were equal (wages, transfer fees, etc.) I just think for Crouch, personally, we'd be behind Pompey if it came to the crunch.

On top of Redknapp, they've just won the FA Cup, finished top seven and are in the UEFA Cup and they might be able to offer more wages than us these days, rightly or wrongly.

what agenda ?

I just think that he would be mad to choose pompey before us, for footballing reasons. They won't stay where they are without serious cash injections.

what facts are those

On top of Redknapp, they've just won the FA Cup, finished top seven and are in the UEFA Cup and they might be able to offer more wages than us these days, rightly or wrongly.

what agenda ?

I just think that he would be mad to choose pompey before us, for footballing reasons. They won't stay where they are without serious cash injections.

NE5:

Opinion, sorry.

I disagree entirely on the football reasons thing, to be honest, and they're owned by Gaydamak, who isn't short of a bit of cash.

He wants to recruit experienced Premier League players who are on the fringe of the England side - and Crouch fits the bill perfectly.

Keegan also reckons he can persuade stars who are not playing regularly that they stand a better chance of impressing England chief Fabio Capello with first-team football at Newcastle than sitting on the bench elsewhere.

But Keegan faces a fight to get his targets through the door at St James' Park this summer. Toon football director Dennis Wise believes the Magpies should go for France hotshot Bafetimbi Gomis.

The London arm of the club's recruitment staff, led by Wise, wants young players in the hope that their value will rocket once they gain exposure in the Premier League.

Crucially, they have the backing of billionaire owner Mike Ashley.

Landing Gomis, however, will not be easy - or cheap. The St Etienne striker, 22, scored twice on his full debut for France against Ecuador and has attracted interest from both Milan clubs.

Newcastle and Manchester City are battling it out for Deportivo La Coruna's £10m-rated Argentine defender Fabricio Coloccini, whose agent will talk with both clubs this week.

:laugh:

what facts are those

what agenda ?

NE5:

Opinion, sorry.

I disagree entirely on the football reasons thing, to be honest, and they're owned by Gaydamak, who isn't short of a bit of cash.

well, aye, obviously. If he intends to do an Abramovic, and sells this idea, then they will attract Crouch and more big players.

what facts are those

what agenda ?

NE5:

Opinion, sorry.

well, aye, obviously. If he intends to do an Abramovic, and sells this idea, then they will attract Crouch and more big players.

:laugh:

Anyone who thinks this is a ragbag club with an over the hill manager should probably join Crouch at Portsmouth. There's a nice lttle club with shed for a ground that can easily accomodate a few more supporters. Plus they've got a jowelly faced c*** for a manager whose wife tells him where he can work :thup:

what facts are those

what agenda ?

Peope are actually discouting the fact that our stadium and crowd base will actually be a huge selling point to a plyer who's used to being at a big club - Portsmouth may be able to offer more next season career wise but im sure he;ll be thinking of the season after that as well....our crowd would be less important to aplayer who knows no different.

Imagine playing in front of 45k rabid fans week in week out, would it be easy to swap that atmosphere for a club with maybe half that capacity and half that passion?

Also Pompey seemd to have hit a pinnacle - even Redknapp admitted that and topping an FA cup and 8th place finish (?) would be near impossible with there limited resources. Its certainly not a club which is geared towards long term success like ours is. there is a reason why we are the 14th richest club in the world and that will work in our advantage.

From watching us play in this 4-3-1-2 formation last season it looked obvious to me that one of our main problems was the lack of width down the right with only Beye offering anything with the occasional burst forward, if you compare that to the left side of the pitch where we had Martins starting from wide left and Barton covering plenty of ground then I think it shows the lack of balance down the right.

What we need is a striker that can pull out wide right but have the physical presence to play the 'big man' if we need to change formation back to a 4-4-2 in a game, Crouch isn't going to offer us this and tbh I don't think he's much better than Viduka when he's on form.

The club should go for Gomis or Darren Bent instead IMO.

From watching us play in this 4-3-1-2 formation last season it looked obvious to me that one of our main problems was the lack of width down the right with only Beye offering anything with the occasional burst forward, if you compare that to the left side of the pitch where we had Martins starting from wide left and Barton covering plenty of ground then I think it shows the lack of balance down the right.

What we need is a striker that can pull out wide right but have the physical presence to play the 'big man' if we need to change formation back to a 4-4-2 in a game, Crouch isn't going to offer us this and tbh I don't think he's much better than Viduka when he's on form.

If anything, that above statement is more evidence that Geremi needs to be replaced.

Hello Baggio. You alright !!

Good point here, Darren Bent - we should pick him up this summer. He guarantees goals and he could play well both as target man or forward.

Altough crouch's freak persona puts you off having him here and vertical stripes would only enhance this, he does seem to be very consistent and isn't too bad a player, he would fit straight into our new formation and isn't bad at holding the ball up which is essential in how we are playing at the moment. At 7-8 million you are getting a prem experienced player who will get you goals and adds another dimension (ha ha) to the team...

The thought of an up and coming youngster who hasn't played in the prem is much more exiting but is also a huge risk... Should we just hedge our bets and go for the certainty or try and hit the jackpot????