Newcastle United 2 - 1 Birmingham - 08/12/07 - Post match reaction from page 19

JH

I'm not watching the Last Word or anything, actually i've seen hardly any punditry this weekend, but really - what evidence is there to suggest our's wasn't a penalty? The fact that the ball was over-run a bit? It's a seriously, seriously weak claim. A goalscoring opportunity was denied and the defender was miles away from the ball. Erm, penalty!

The defender got a touch of the ball before he got Martins.

With his other leg

Penalty is as clear as day

I'm not watching the Last Word or anything, actually i've seen hardly any punditry this weekend, but really - what evidence is there to suggest our's wasn't a penalty? The fact that the ball was over-run a bit? It's a seriously, seriously weak claim. A goalscoring opportunity was denied and the defender was miles away from the ball. Erm, penalty!

With his other leg

Penalty is as clear as day

He got a touch with the ball, then he followed through and took out Martins. The ball was out of Martin's reach, they've been given before but we can count ourselves lucky on that occaison.

Ya he got the ball with his left foot but he took him down with his right foot!So therefore there was contact that hindered Oba when he tried to shoot

Ya he got the ball with his left foot but he took him down with his right foot!So therefore there was contact that hindered Oba when he tried to shoot

Tried to shoot? The ball was yards away from Martins. The defender took the ball, it bounced off Martins, travelled out of reach, and the defender's trailing leg took Martins out.

No doubt about contact, but penalty? Debatable.

If his legs were 4 yards long you'd have a point. :)

Yes I was sitting in the Leazes as well at the front and me and everyone around me was shouting for a penalty. I just don't get this argument saying it was a soft pen, the guy brought his right leg around to trip Oba up, if it had been outside the area it would have been given as a free kick so why not a pen? Can you remember Shearer not getting a penalty at Old Trafford? Because the ball was going away from him, no-one then was saying it shouldn't have been a penalty - we were all screaming. A foul inside the box is a penalty, or have I got that wrong?

Yes I was sitting in the Leazes as well at the front and me and everyone around me was shouting for a penalty. I just don't get this argument saying it was a soft pen, the guy brought his right leg around to trip Oba up, if it had been outside the area it would have been given as a free kick so why not a pen? Can you remember Shearer not getting a penalty at Old Trafford? Because the ball was going away from him, no-one then was saying it shouldn't have been a penalty - we were all screaming. A foul inside the box is a penalty, or have I got that wrong?

In that case, virtually every corner played into the box should result in a penalty. The defenders always 'foul' their opponent but how often do you see it given?

Tried to shoot? The ball was yards away from Martins. The defender took the ball, it bounced off Martins, travelled out of reach, and the defender's trailing leg took Martins out.

No doubt about contact, but penalty? Debatable.

Ya maybe he wouldnt have being able to get the shot off since the ball was 10 yards away! :blush:

But if that was a foul outside the box it would be a clear free kick!

If his legs were 4 yards long you'd have a point. :)

:blush:

haha, how can anyone say that wasnt a pen, the ball could have been sailing up the pitch from our goal kick and that would still be a blatant, intended trip by the defender, unless his leg suffered and in-voluntary spasm and shot towards martins, give it a rest man, thats a penalty

At the end of the day, the defender got the ball before he got Martins. Martins was not in control of the ball, nor would he have had the defender not followed through and took him out.

Yes the handball later on was a blatent penalty, but this was not.

At the end of the day, the defender got the ball before he got Martins. Martins was not in control of the ball, nor would he have had the defender not followed through and took him out.

Disagree. Aye, he got the ball first off, but the trailing leg quite clearly tripped him as he went for the ball. It doesn't matter whether he would have got the ball or not.

Isn't football great?

Disagree. Aye, he got the ball first off, but the trailing leg quite clearly tripped him as he went for the ball. It doesn't matter whether he would have got the ball or not.

Isn't football great?

If it had have happened in the other box, I'd have been livid. Contact was made but it didn't stop Martins from getting a shot off - he was nowhere near the ball and could never have reached it. The contact made no difference to the run of play and we were fortunate it was given. Not complaining about it and can see why people are saying it was a penalty, but I wouldn't have been surprised if the ref had waved play on. 

are you saying if i dis possess an attacker with one foot, kicking the ball away, towards goal, so neither of us have clear possession, and then proceed to hack the attacker down with my OTHER leg, stopping him from competing for the ball, then that isnt a penalty?

Isn't football great?

If it had have happened in the other box, I'd have been livid. Contact was made but it didn't stop Martins from getting a shot off - he was nowhere near the ball and could never have reached it. The contact made no difference to the run of play and we were fortunate it was given. Not complaining about it and can see why people are saying it was a penalty, but I wouldn't have been surprised if the ref had waved play on.  

Same here, but I agree with him. It doesn't matter whether the ball had gone or not.

If it had have happened in the other box, I'd have been livid.

If it had happened in the other box, I honestly believe the ref would have waved play on. Sometimes they're given, sometimes they aren't. That's why we're lucky we got it.

If it had have happened in the other box, I'd have been livid.

If it had happened in the other box, I honestly believe the ref would have waved play on. Sometimes they're given, sometimes they aren't. That's why we're lucky we got it.

We agree. :)

Same here, but I agree with him. It doesn't matter whether the ball had gone or not.

But in the eyes of the law, it does matter. If Martins doesn't have control of the ball, the player is not denying Martins an opportunity to score/shoot. The fact that he kicked the ball away means that there's a possibility it wasn't a penalty.

I'm not complaining about it, nor am I disputing it was a foul, because it was. But the player appeared to have won the ball first, something the ref didn't see, but if he did see it, I don't think he'd have given it.

Isn't football great?

I think it does matter but there you go. Certainly not going to fall out with anyone over it...  :lol:

It was given, we scored from it and won the game. End of story. :)

I was wondering about the Reading pen yesterday and that thread a while back about tugging someone's shirt outside the box but continuing holding it while crossing into the box. Although the cameras finally showed the offence was inside the box, could it not have still be given as, although the initial contact was outside the box, it seemed to me that Carragher had continued to foul Gunnarsson inside the area?

are you saying if i dis possess an attacker with one foot, kicking the ball away, towards goal, so neither of us have clear possession, and then proceed to hack the attacker down with my OTHER leg, stopping him from competing for the ball, then that isnt a penalty?

Thats exactly right. Its not about getting the shot on. It's about competing. Just like you get fouls pulled up for off the ball obstruction. IIRC one of our players got booked for that in the same game (or Arsenal?).

What about this scenario:

The player is one on one with the keeper, and is very close to the touchline. The player kicks the ball a bit too hard in front and overruns it as he is tripped by the keeper. The attacker wouldnt get the ball in a million years, but the penalty is given every time.