Newcastle United 2 - 1 Birmingham - 08/12/07 - Post match reaction from page 19

JH

Some people are being too critical about how we played today, after the game on Wednesday winning was more important than the performance.  We’ve played better but we gave so much on Wednesday that today was always going to be a bit of a slog at times.   Some need to remember the reasons given by Wenger for them not getting 3 points against us.

We did enough in the first half today to have had the game in the bag and we let Birmingham have more of the game in the second half but the players still had the desire and balls to go on and get the points.

We’ve had a good two games and taken 4 points from them, I’m happy with that.

Some people are being too critical about how we played today, after the game on Wednesday winning was more important than the performance.  We’ve played better but we gave so much on Wednesday that today was always going to be a bit of a slog at times.  Some need to remember the reasons given by Wenger for them not getting 3 points against us.

We did enough in the first half today to have had the game in the bag and we let Birmingham have more of the game in the second half but the players still had the desire and balls to go on and get the points.

:thup:

Oba scored the pen. He can be a bit eratic at times but he does seem to have a cool head for pens. Not as cool as nobby, but you have to atleast acknowledge he had the bottle to step up and take it.

So cool he smashed it out of the stadium at Goodison?

The key to being a good penalty taker is technique.

Roberto Baggio also had no coolness under pressure as he missed a penalty in the World Cup final, never mind the countless other times he took them in high pressure situations and scored, he also lacked technique.  :thup:

I'd personally let Milner take the penalties.

I think Milner was the only one to miss in the shootout at Watford and Shearer missed a good amount but its one of those urban myths that he never missed any.

Wolves 2004, Blackburn in the cup at home and away at Birmingham etc

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/ShearerGoalDetail/0,,10278~757307,00.html

Aye he was. Good penalty tbh, just a stunning save.

Some people are being too critical about how we played today, after the game on Wednesday winning was more important than the performance.  We’ve played better but we gave so much on Wednesday that today was always going to be a bit of a slog at times.  Some need to remember the reasons given by Wenger for them not getting 3 points against us.

:thup:

:thup: :thup:

I think Pearson said that Wednesday was "emotionally" hectic. I think that takes more out of it than just the pure physical aspect playing  agame like that against the best team in England/Europe(?) at the minute.  To be able to come through today against a Birmingham team, that basically had nothing to lose therefore could play free from any pressure, deserves some credit.

We got what we wanted. A win and 3 points. Lets enjoy a Saturday night for a change

Guest JamesyJazz

We beat a team on a wave resurgant optimismn,lead on by a new manager armed with a recent victory,upbeat,confident and up for victory!

Again the the black n white troops played their part,with graft,grind and passion 'till they'd won the game!

We may not be gorgeous in our game as yet,but by hell !I can see the passion and commitment to the shirt we all desire.

Give 'em time and support,we can do it!

I think Milner was the only one to miss in the shootout at Watford and Shearer missed a good amount but its one of those urban myths that he never missed any.

Forgot the Fulham one at home. Nearly cleared the stand with it.

i'm actually in disbelief that this urban miss exists, the guy must have missed at least 10 in his time here

After watching the first half of Football First, I don't see where all this bias-ism is coming from. We should have been at least 3-1 up at half time.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

We had 14 shots on goal, hit the post twice had two cleared off the line (practically) and milners edge of the box shot. We played well and deserved the win.

i'm actually in disbelief that this urban miss exists, the guy must have missed at least 10 in his time here

Urban myth (sic)? What's that then?

Urban myth (sic)? What's that then?

i could almost claim i did that on purpose

Relatively few early leavers today as well. Get it right up you if you did !!!

I left early. The bairn was shivering like fuck. Canny few left for similar reasons. As well as it being a shit game.

There's no way that we were lucky to win. It was thoroughly deserved. Statistics don't mean everything, but 17 shots against 6 pretty well reflects the way we created the vast majority of the chances.

Barton - aaargh! He should have been sent off, and that would probably have cost us the game. He's lucky that Jerome got up quickly and indicated to the ref that he should be lenient. Barton has got to cut out that sort of petulant stuff.

Smith didn't look as good up front after Viduka came on. He seems to do better as the target man, than playing off the target man. He did a good job in centre mid though.

Milner had a very good game, I thought. His decision-making has improved a lot.

And Martins shouldn't be taking the penalties.

There's no way that we were lucky to win. It was thoroughly deserved. Statistics don't mean everything, but 17 shots against 6 pretty well reflects the way we created the vast majority of the chances.

Barton - aaargh! He should have been sent off, and that would probably have cost us the game. He's lucky that Jerome got up quickly and indicated to the ref that he should be lenient. Barton has got to cut out that sort of petulant stuff.

Smith didn't look as good up front after Viduka came on. He seems to do better as the target man, than playing off the target man. He did a good job in centre mid though.

Horrible tackle, this makes 2 red cards he should have gotten already in the 8(?) games he has played so far.

Smith has played two games in a row without a booking  :yikes: (should have been booked in the Arsenal game though)

I think Barton is getting better every game he plays, just give him time.

Barton was very poor today imo.

I agree, for the Fulham game I'd definitely drop Barton and Roz, and bring in Emre? and Faye if fit.

The last 20 minutes of the first half were edge of the seat stuff. I thought we dominated against Birmingham and should have been 3-1 up (Martins chance from an N'Zogbia freekick, Milners chance from a freekick and Milners shot which hit the bar). We upped the tempo and Birmingham struggled to get hold of the ball, it would have been interesting to have seen possession statistics for the last 20 minutes of the first half. The second half was not as quick or exciting as the players started to tire and a few sloppy errors started to occur. The link up play down the left hand side between Milner and N'Zogbia was promising, maybe why Enrique has been left out recently?

I think a fair few left before the end, but not like Liverpool or Portsmouth. Beye was the star performer and deserved his goal. I don't think Barton should have been sent off after seeing it on TV, in the stadium and from my view I thought he should have, but he clipped Jeromes heel (hardly any contact).

Guest Eires No. 1

Terrible game to watch.  Eventually reverted to 442 (abid wingers on wrong side) and had Birmingham by the short n Curlies.  Players knew ther job and looked at ease pushing forward.  After the break went  to another system which didnt work.

2 players had ok games Beye and Taylor the rest were substandard.  Rozenthal continued from the Arsenal game ie shocking, too weak in my opinion.  His passing is also getting worse.

Martins continues to frustrate.  If he has this blistering pace when are we going to see it??  You thought if he was that quick then he would want the ball over the top to run into space instead of running up his own arse all the time.  Flatters to decieve, his ball retention is terrible. 

Things looked pretty good when Viduka and Smith played up front, but Viduka got no support in the 2nd half.

But 3 points, so who cares...... O0

Ps Dear Santy please let us play a game with Milner on the right, CNZ on the left with a right back and left back behind them sometime next year Its not rocket science!!  :rolleyes:

I think Barton is getting better every game he plays, just give him time.

Barton was very poor today imo.

I agree, for the Fulham game I'd definitely drop Barton and Roz, and bring in Emre? and Faye if fit.

I'd swap Rozehnal for Emre, and Barton for Enrique then go with 4-4-2

Zogbia - Emre - Butt - Milner

Enrique - Beye - Taylor - Geremi

there is a bigger change today allowing n'zog amd beye to get forward a bit, ie milner covering n'zog and barton droppiung behind beye when he went forward.

signs of being organised, more than i've seen inmust be 2 seasons now.

I don't think Rozenhal should be criticised too much for the first goal. It was a more difficult ball to deal with than first appears. It skidded off the wet turf right into Jerome's stride. Having said that, in general, I think he's far too weak in the air for a Premiership centre back.

I'd agree that Barton is improving, and we should stick with him. He's still not up to full fitness.