Closed doors match this week

Dave

Some players feel like they've been around forever. Milner will be one of those. He'll be turning 28 and you'll be going, 'Jesus Christ, I'm pratically dead.'

Milner looks like a 1940s footballer, though. He's 80 years old in my book.

he plays like one too.

I'm a massive Milner fan. If you took a straw poll of Villa fans asking how many would want us to re-sign him in January, I reckon it would be 80 percent in favour at least.

£10m  O0

Guest The Libertine

Newcastle midfielder Damien Duff made his comeback after injury on Thursday, playing the full 90 minutes of a behind-closed doors friendly match.

Duff also scored in a 4-1 win against an inexperienced Hartlepool United side.

.com

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2007/12/14/damien-closes-in-on-return-61634-20248127/

Damien closes in on return

Dec 14 2007 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

DAMIEN Duff made a scoring return to action for Newcastle in a behind-closed-doors friendly yesterday – but neither he nor Brazilian defender Claudio Caçapa will play at Fulham tomorrow.

Damien Duff

United manager Sam Allardyce was delighted to see the pair come through the game against a Hartlepool United XI unscathed, but he will not take a chance on either of them as the Magpies look to rediscover their winning touch on the road against a Fulham side with one of the worst home records in the Premier League.

Duff will not even travel to the capital so that he can work on his fitness on Tyneside, while Caçapa will only be considered for a spot on the bench as Allardyce looks ahead to a gruelling Festive fixture list.

“The game will come a week or two too early for Damien because he is well short of match practice,” said Allardyce, who warned the Magpies that Fulham are a far better team than their lowly league position would suggest.

“He came through the game well and scored, but we’re not going to take any silly risks. He is just really happy to be out on the pitch again and the light at the end of

the tunnel is a really big one for him now. I’m sure he’s very relieved and we are looking forward to having a fit and firing Damien Duff available for selection.

“I don’t know when that will be. He needs another couple of behind-closed-doors games before he can be considered for the first team and the problem is the reserve league shuts down for Christmas. We’re desperately trying to get some games for him.”

Caçapa will be in the squad which travels to London this afternoon, but the Brazilian will not come straight back into the team, even though his manager is adamant the blunders in his last game – the 4-1 home defeat to Portsmouth on November 3 – are long forgotten.

He said: “That game is so far gone, it has gone down the River Tyne, into the sea and it’s on its way to bloody France now. We will not be talking about that again.

“Caçapa looked good and he will be back in the squad on Saturday. But I can’t see him starting the game, he’s still a little rusty and he’s short on match practice.

“Like Duffer, he needs a bit longer yet, but it will be great to be able to use them at some point over the busy Christmas period because the squad is going to be stretched.”

Allardyce hopes to add to his squad in January, but while he would like to sign Manchester United centre-back Wes Brown, he said: “I don’t know if Wes Brown will be allowed to leave Manchester United in January, I’m not convinced he will, so for the moment, we are having to look at targets elsewhere.”

Fulham have won just two games at home in the league all season and are only kept out of the relegation zone by their superior goal difference to Sunderland. Newcastle, meanwhile, have won just once on the road so far under Allardyce and the Newcastle boss knows something has to give tomorrow.

He said: “I think Fulham are a better team than their league position suggests. They have been in the lead a lot this season and drawn games they should have won and lost games they should have drawn. They have conceded a lot of late goals, but they are close to being a top-half-of-the-table side in my opinion. They are a bit like us because we could be in a higher position than we are for the same reason. We’ve been talking about the need to be better at the back all season, in fact we’re sick of talking about it.

“It’s time to go out there and do it on the pitch.”

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2007/12/14/damien-closes-in-on-return-61634-20248127/

DAMIEN Duff made a scoring return to action for Newcastle in a behind-closed-doors friendly yesterday but neither he nor Brazilian defender Claudio Caçapa will play at Fulham tomorrow.

Damien Duff

United manager Sam Allardyce was delighted to see the pair come through the game against a Hartlepool United XI unscathed, but he will not take a chance on either of them as the Magpies look to rediscover their winning touch on the road against a Fulham side with one of the worst home records in the Premier League.

Duff will not even travel to the capital so that he can work on his fitness on Tyneside, while Caçapa will only be considered for a spot on the bench as Allardyce looks ahead to a gruelling Festive fixture list.

The game will come a week or two too early for Damien because he is well short of match practice, said Allardyce, who warned the Magpies that Fulham are a far better team than their lowly league position would suggest.

He came through the game well and scored, but were not going to take any silly risks. He is just really happy to be out on the pitch again and the light at the end of

the tunnel is a really big one for him now. Im sure hes very relieved and we are looking forward to having a fit and firing Damien Duff available for selection.

I dont know when that will be. He needs another couple of behind-closed-doors games before he can be considered for the first team and the problem is the reserve league shuts down for Christmas. Were desperately trying to get some games for him.

Caçapa will be in the squad which travels to London this afternoon, but the Brazilian will not come straight back into the team, even though his manager is adamant the blunders in his last game the 4-1 home defeat to Portsmouth on November 3 are long forgotten.

He said: That game is so far gone, it has gone down the River Tyne, into the sea and its on its way to bloody France now. We will not be talking about that again.

Caçapa looked good and he will be back in the squad on Saturday. But I cant see him starting the game, hes still a little rusty and hes short on match practice.

Like Duffer, he needs a bit longer yet, but it will be great to be able to use them at some point over the busy Christmas period because the squad is going to be stretched.

Allardyce hopes to add to his squad in January, but while he would like to sign Manchester United centre-back Wes Brown, he said: I dont know if Wes Brown will be allowed to leave Manchester United in January, Im not convinced he will, so for the moment, we are having to look at targets elsewhere.

Fulham have won just two games at home in the league all season and are only kept out of the relegation zone by their superior goal difference to Sunderland. Newcastle, meanwhile, have won just once on the road so far under Allardyce and the Newcastle boss knows something has to give tomorrow.

He said: I think Fulham are a better team than their league position suggests. They have been in the lead a lot this season and drawn games they should have won and lost games they should have drawn. They have conceded a lot of late goals, but they are close to being a top-half-of-the-table side in my opinion. They are a bit like us because we could be in a higher position than we are for the same reason. Weve been talking about the need to be better at the back all season, in fact were sick of talking about it.

Its time to go out there and do it on the pitch.

I think Sam needs a geography lesson.

He said: “I think Fulham are a better team than their league position suggests. They have been in the lead a lot this season and drawn games they should have won and lost games they should have drawn. They have conceded a lot of late goals, but they are close to being a top-half-of-the-table side in my opinion. They are a bit like us because we could be in a higher position than we are for the same reason. We’ve been talking about the need to be better at the back all season, in fact we’re sick of talking about it.

Sounds like Sam is going to give them far to much respect and play a cautious game.

Oh dear.

That was my initial thought too. :(

Hope not.

maybe he just wants his players to stay on their toes and battle hard again!

but sadly this probably means no milner/zoggy wing combo

That was my initial thought too. :(

Hope not.

maybe he just wants his players to stay on their toes and battle hard again!

but sadly this probably means no milner/zoggy wing combo

Left-wing. ;)

Hope he goes with the same side, but for Faye.

Some players feel like they've been around forever. Milner will be one of those. He'll be turning 28 and you'll be going, 'Jesus Christ, I'm pratically dead.'

he plays like one too.

I'm a massive Milner fan. If you took a straw poll of Villa fans asking how many would want us to re-sign him in January, I reckon it would be 80 percent in favour at least.

Aye but do Villa fans hate 95% of the squad and right players off after 3 bad games 20 minutes?

Heard that Faye isen´t include in the squed. Otherwise I hope exacly like you that we play with the same team. We need stability.

This will be a really battle. Hope the guys are up for it!

DAMIEN Duff made a scoring return to action for Newcastle in a behind-closed-doors friendly yesterday but neither he nor Brazilian defender Claudio Caçapa will play at Fulham tomorrow.

Damien Duff

The game will come a week or two too early for Damien because he is well short of match practice, said Allardyce, who warned the Magpies that Fulham are a far better team than their lowly league position would suggest.

He came through the game well and scored, but were not going to take any silly risks. He is just really happy to be out on the pitch again and the light at the end of

the tunnel is a really big one for him now. Im sure hes very relieved and we are looking forward to having a fit and firing Damien Duff available for selection.

I dont know when that will be. He needs another couple of behind-closed-doors games before he can be considered for the first team and the problem is the reserve league shuts down for Christmas. Were desperately trying to get some games for him.

Caçapa will be in the squad which travels to London this afternoon, but the Brazilian will not come straight back into the team, even though his manager is adamant the blunders in his last game the 4-1 home defeat to Portsmouth on November 3 are long forgotten.

He said: That game is so far gone, it has gone down the River Tyne, into the sea and its on its way to bloody France now. We will not be talking about that again.

Caçapa looked good and he will be back in the squad on Saturday. But I cant see him starting the game, hes still a little rusty and hes short on match practice.

Like Duffer, he needs a bit longer yet, but it will be great to be able to use them at some point over the busy Christmas period because the squad is going to be stretched.

Allardyce hopes to add to his squad in January, but while he would like to sign Manchester United centre-back Wes Brown, he said: I dont know if Wes Brown will be allowed to leave Manchester United in January, Im not convinced he will, so for the moment, we are having to look at targets elsewhere.

He said: I think Fulham are a better team than their league position suggests. They have been in the lead a lot this season and drawn games they should have won and lost games they should have drawn. They have conceded a lot of late goals, but they are close to being a top-half-of-the-table side in my opinion. They are a bit like us because we could be in a higher position than we are for the same reason. Weve been talking about the need to be better at the back all season, in fact were sick of talking about it.

Its time to go out there and do it on the pitch.

I think Sam needs a geography lesson.

Its possible that what happened against pompey has floated down the tyne and into the north sea  and with a strong current could take it on to the beaches of normandy which by the way is on the coast of france or do you think france is in the pacific ?

Will be interesting to see how Owen fits into the team that has got us results of late.

Unless there is a striker lined up for Jan you are going to have to get used to the idea, aren't you !?

Once Martins departs, there is no alternative unless you want to see Smith & Viduka-when fit- playing up front....

And as for 'results of late', I don't think a draw at home, albeit to Arsenal(and Boro showed that our result wasn't exactly earth-shaking - they did better against Arsenal than we did, both in playing terns AND result), and a last-minute win over Brum are signs that we can now be choosy about leaving the likes of Owen out of the team when fit...unless we get a result at Fulham, there will be MORE agonizing this week..

Until we are in a position to sign a REALLY decent striker, Owen will remain the best bet for goals that we have - INCLUDING Martins - if he is fit ; Like it or lump it.

he plays like one too.

Agreed Brummie - funny how he did well at Villa but doesn't look the same player at SJP...!

Anyone got any ideas why...!??