How Many League Goals Do You Think Alan Smith Will Score This Season? Answer: 0

The College Dropout

3 this season, 20 next

if he plays 25-30 games, many of which as a striker, and still only scores 3 he shouldn't be allowed to get the chance to reach 20 next season!

He's a decent footballer but the fact Fergie eventually saw him as a defensive midfielder says quite a lot about Smith's lack of goal-scoring instinct.

Always looking for the negative.  :nope:

Perhaps it said something about how Fergie saw his tenacity and leadership qualities, these being very good attributes for that area of the pitch.

That's not looking for the negative, it's just saying it as it is. You yourself have said that he isn't a midfielder despite having those qualities. He's at his best up front but forwards of his type do need to contribute some goals. Around 10 would do, but if he was scoring double figures in a season I doubt Fergie would have wanted to part with him.

He's a decent footballer but the fact Fergie eventually saw him as a defensive midfielder says quite a lot about Smith's lack of goal-scoring instinct.

Perhaps it said something about how Fergie saw his tenacity and leadership qualities, these being very good attributes for that area of the pitch.

That's not looking for the negative, it's just saying it as it is. You yourself have said that he isn't a midfielder despite having those qualities. He's at his best up front but forwards of his type do need to contribute some goals. Around 10 would do, but if he was scoring double figures in a season I doubt Fergie would have wanted to part with him.

Fair enough.

All I'm bothered about is the team anyway. Smith doesn't have to score 20 goals to justify his place, he just needs to be the most effective player at the club in the role he's been given in the last couple of games. If he's given a run in this role and the team improves then he's doing his bit until a better player comes along to take his place.

1, maybe 2 if hes lucky, i dont belive its his job to score. Leave that to Martins.

:yikes: He's a striker mate, a strikers job is to score goals.

Craig Bellamy was a flop here in that case.

1, maybe 2 if hes lucky, i dont belive its his job to score. Leave that to Martins.

Still scored though didnt he?

I always thought and still do, the biggest thing that stops Bellamy being a top striker (apart from injuries!) is his finishing, as he proved last season at SJP with Liverpool.

Fair enough.

All I'm bothered about is the team anyway. Smith doesn't have to score 20 goals to justify his place, he just needs to be the most effective player at the club in the role he's been given in the last couple of games. If he's given a run in this role and the team improves then he's doing his bit until a better player comes along to take his place.

I like Smith upfront, but not on his own. For him to play up top on his own he needs to have at least 3 or so players behind him who are regularly going to score. At Man Utd it worked as the likes of Scholes, Ronaldo and Giggs can always be relied on. If he plays that position for us who is going to score the goals?

There's no point in mentioning things like that to people who can only judge a footballer on statistics.

Fair enough.

I like Smith upfront, but not on his own. For him to play up top on his own he needs to have at least 3 or so players behind him who are regularly going to score. At Man Utd it worked as the likes of Scholes, Ronaldo and Giggs can always be relied on. If he plays that position for us who is going to score the goals?

Well that's the point of that role, isn't it? If the manager wants someone to play that particular role he needs to put the right players in other parts of the team, or not use that type of role at all.

There's no point in mentioning things like that to people who can only judge a footballer on statistics.

The thread is about a statistic - goals. Not his general play.

Still scored though didnt he?

I always thought and still do, the biggest thing that stops Bellamy being a top striker (apart from injuries!) is his finishing, as he proved last season at SJP with Liverpool.

Man invents wheel. Well done.

No it isnt, it is clearly about a player in our squad, no matter how you prefer to dress it up. Hate to join HTL in the football manager chant but it does get fucking dull.

No it isnt, it is clearly about a player in our squad, no matter how you prefer to dress it up. Hate to join HTL in the football manager chant but it does get fucking dull.

The question is "how many GOALS do you think Alan Smith will score" , its not asking about how he will generally perform.

No it isnt, it is clearly about a player in our squad, no matter how you prefer to dress it up. Hate to join HTL in the football manager chant but it does get f****** dull.

The question is "how many GOALS do you think Alan Smith will score" , its not asking about how he will generally perform.

It is. Not all questions asked are in the title of a thread are they? If only life was that simplistic.

Fair enough.

Well that's the point of that role, isn't it? If the manager wants someone to play that particular role he needs to put the right players in other parts of the team, or not use that type of role at all.

Indeed. It wasn't a criticism of Smith, moreso the players around him and the manager.