Three of the laziest strikers in the PL?

Parky

Viduka, Martins and of course Owen.

It always strikes me, especially in close games like today how none of our strikers put pressure on the players in the opposition half (Smith does of course but that is another thread).

Looking at ManU and Everton today for example Tevez and Rooney continually re-cycle and harass in the midfield and the best example is of course Andy Johnson. Other that come to mind immediately are Kuyt and Voronin...Always rotating and putting pressure on the opp def and deep midfield.

Ours on the other hand just jog a little toward someone near them etc...

Anyway something that has been niggling me for some time. :razz:

I think there's a conspiracy between the other 19 teams in the Premiership to beat us. Every time one of our attacker jogs towards their defender, they hoof it up, aiming for our central defenders, then our central defenders robotically head it towards the center of the park and their midfielders pick up the ball and go on the attack. It's quite ingenious actually. Credit to every team who's used this insanely awesome tactic on us :thup:

I think there's a conspiracy between the other 19 teams in the Premiership to beat us. Every time one of our attacker jogs towards their defender, they hoof it up, aiming for our central defenders, then our central defenders robotically head it towards the center of the park and their midfielders pick up the ball and go on the attack. It's quite ingenious actually. Credit to every team who's used this insanely awesome tactic on us :thup:

You see a lot more than you let on innit?

i don't think any of them are that lazy, martins is constantly closing down defenders on the ball and often forcing them into errors. viduka isn't the most mobile off the ball but not for lack of effort - he's just old and cumbersome, and on the ball you can see how hard he tried to find space and create openings, not just for himself. owen, well that's not his style and if he's out and about working outside the box then he's wasted. smith works hard but is totally devoid of quality.

andy johnson is a hard worker but yakubu is a far better player even tho he is relatively lazy. voronin works hard but bellamy is a better player (and works just as hard). kuyt is a harder worker than torres but no-one would ever pick him over the spaniard. i do agree that we lack a bit of presence upfield but i would never want it to be there at the expense of quality. obviously if we can pick up an anelka or mccarthy then great but i think we have a good bunch of strikers here, only the manager has failed to get the best out of them.

Martins isnt lazy, he just isn't intelligent footballing wise. Hell of a player physically, but his anticipation is poor, and he never gambles on balls across the 6 yard box.

Martins isnt lazy, he just isn't intelligent footballing wise.

Exactly... which in turn forces him to put in more effort than he should.

Calling him lazy is a bit ignorant tbh.

Martins isnt lazy, he just isn't intelligent footballing wise.

Exactly... which in turn forces him to put in more effort than he should.

Calling him lazy is a bit ignorant tbh.

Ok he's fucking lazy and thick as shit. Better? :razz:

I don't think MArtins or Smith are lazy, they just aren't good strikers, to different degrees.

Viduka is lazy, we all know he is. But as soon as he signed for US, suddenly he became great. Because we're fucking stupid - for proof, see acceptance/resignation of shite like yesterday, instead of demanding Fat Head's big fat head on a pole, to be shown to all players for motivation.

No one is saying Smith is lazy are they? Martins is, however. His mythical workrate is just that, mythical.

i see him doing loads of running. Mind, its when he thinks he is going to get the ball. And the actual running is shit, he createds no space for himself or draws no-one away with him to make space for others. But he DOES run around.

He doesn't do much running over the 90 minutes. Fact. He makes the odd headless chicken run now and again. Perhaps it's more down to stupidity than laziness. Not worth arguing over which given 99% of the running he does do is completely ineffectual anyway.

Martins doesn't strike me as lazy, aprticularly. Not the most intelligent, but he works across the front line pretty well, pulls wide, and generally finds a few chances for himself (he certainly doesn't get provided any).

He doesn't do much running over the 90 minutes. Fact. He makes the odd headless chicken run now and again. Perhaps it's more down to stupidity than laziness. Not worth arguing over which given 99% of the running he does do is completely ineffectual anyway.

Our strikers are pretty much all shit in their own ways - Martins is ineffectual and random, Viduka is lazy and creats nothing for most games, Smith is shit, Owen is made out of spun sugar, and Ameobi is so laughably bad it makes my back-bottom hurt.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Our strikers are pretty much all shit in their own ways - Martins is ineffectual and random, Viduka is lazy and creats nothing for most games, Smith is shit, Owen is made out of spun sugar, and Ameobi is so laughably bad it makes my back-bottom hurt.

:lol: :lol: :lol: hilarious but true also!

Guest takeawayboy

I think half the problem is Sam doesnt know how to get the best out of his players. Any forward needs decent service. We've 1 of the best leftsided attacking midfield players playing at left back, a great winger in milner who's best crosses are with right foot playin on left. creative midfielder from turkey who warms the bench for 70odd minutes.

We could have Torres upfront for us and we'd make him look shite!

Viduka, Martins and of course Owen.

It always strikes me, especially in close games like today how none of our strikers put pressure on the players in the opposition half (Smith does of course but that is another thread).

Looking at ManU and Everton today for example Tevez and Rooney continually re-cycle and harass in the midfield and the best example is of course Andy Johnson. Other that come to mind immediately are Kuyt and Voronin...Always rotating and putting pressure on the opp def and deep midfield.

Ours on the other hand just jog a little toward someone near them etc...

Anyway something that has been niggling me for some time. :razz:

Spot on there like.....we need to strengthen in the summer imo. We need at least 2 natural finishers as we only have 1 atm and he's a lazy cunt who's constantly injured

C'mon...! Berbatov?! C'MONNN!

Great player with excellent skill, but too temperamental - would have him if we could sign him AND Ashton, but if it was one or the other, I would have Ashton.

Over a Prem Season, he will give more to the team than Berbatov.