Alan Smith

tmonkey

This deal to sign Smith must have went as far as any to convince him that the policy of signing older players on ridiculous wages had to end. He likely listened to Allardyce advice and ok'd the signing. Lesson expensively learned.

Smith, Guthrie, Best and Loven must go towards saving the Club the thick end of £90k /£100k per week. That'll easily cover Debuchy and De Jongs wonga with pennies to spare.

This deal to sign Smith must have went as far as any to convince him that the policy of signing older players on ridiculous wages had to end. He likely listened to Allardyce advice and ok'd the signing. Lesson expensively learned.

Smith, Guthrie, Best and Loven must go towards saving the Club the thick end of £90k /£100k per week. That'll easily cover Debuchy and De Jongs wonga with pennies to spare.

Not to mention the contributions we're paying to Xisco if we somehow manage to offload him. Forster too, but can't see him being on much.

Guest palnese

We still have to replace the likes of Best, Ranger, Loven, Guthrie, Smith etc. Our squad is already way too weak, and it will cost a lot to replace them.

I bet it costs less to replace them. Why do you think we are signing players like Amalfitano?

Its because they are good AND cheap. Wouldn't shock me at all if Ranger is on more money than what Romain will get when he arrives.

I don't think our squad is too weak. Granted, we need another striker, full back, CM and CB. But apart from those four positions (which we seem to be making an effort to fill), I think we're ok. Guthrie has been replaced by Amalfitano, and we played most of last season with no Ranger, Smith or Lovenkrands (inury) in the squad.

Guest Realist

We still have to replace the likes of Best, Ranger, Loven, Guthrie, Smith etc. Our squad is already way too weak, and it will cost a lot to replace them.

2011-2012 (league only, from .cock)

Nile Ranger: 0 appearances

Alan Smith : 2 substitute appearances

Peter Lovenkrands: 2 starts, 7 substitute appearances

Danny Guthrie: 13 starts, 2 substitute appearances

Leon Best: 16 starts, 2 substitute appearances

Best will be the only miss.

Guest palnese

2011-2012 (league only, from .cock)

Nile Ranger: 0 appearances

Alan Smith : 2 substitute appearances

Peter Lovenkrands: 2 starts, 7 substitute appearances

Danny Guthrie: 13 starts, 2 substitute appearances

Leon Best: 16 starts, 2 substitute appearances

Best will be the only miss.

We didn't play in Europe last year, and got knocked out fairly early in both cups. We need a lot more quality in our squad if we want to compete in all four competitions this season.

The likes of Vuckic, Abeid, Ferguson and Sammy should step it up, which will help our squad in the cups etc. Hopefully we can replace a few of those from within.

Still a month to go...

True. What is that ridiculous condition regarding players at the end of their contract?  That the club they are leaving has to pay a months salary after the end of their contract unless they sign with a new club? I can't see Smith signing with the MK Dons (or whoever) until the 1st of August.

Still a month to go...

True. What is that ridiculous condition regarding players at the end of their contract?  That the club they are leaving has to pay a months salary after the end of their contract unless they sign with a new club? I can't see Smith signing with the MK Dons (or whoever) until the 1st of August.

Obviously more to help lower league players when they're looking for a club as they get nowhere near the cash Smith would be getting.

I've got one more can of Strongbow in the fridge, guess tonight's as good as reason as any to crack it open. Thank fuck we're finally getting rid of him. First half of the Championship aside, he's really done fuck all and has been comfortably one of the worst players to put on a black and white shirt in recent memory.

I've got one more can of Strongbow in the fridge, guess tonight's as good as reason as any to crack it open. Thank fuck we're finally getting rid of him. First half of the Championship aside, he's really done fuck all and has been comfortably one of the worst players to put on a black and white shirt in recent memory.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSya06tiOKXnnabvwGKL9Zz_v8W3GJ3_G4e2UiNb08IiJKpX_J3DQ

Guest neesy111

I don't think our squad is too weak. Granted, we need another striker, full back, CM and CB. But apart from those four positions (which we seem to be making an effort to fill), I think we're ok. Guthrie has been replaced by Amalfitano, and we played most of last season with no Ranger, Smith or Lovenkrands (inury) in the squad.

:thup:

:thup:

We were also eliminated from all the cups fairly early and had no European football. So i think we do need a couple more squad players if we want to be competitive.

Who the hell did Smith come off the bench against? Seriously don't remember him last season.

He came off the bench against Fulham at SJP. Almost f***ed up a 2-0 lead  :lol:

When he lost the ball in our half, urgh scary stuff.