Alan Smith

tmonkey

No team ever stayed up by running round a lot. Give me Viduka with a pair of lead boots on ahead of Smith anyday and twice on Sundays. I realise Vids is crocked but there are at least four players who should be playing up front ahead of him. I'd even pick Zamblera before him, at least there is some chance he may resemble a footballer.

No team ever stayed up by running round a lot. Give me Viduka with a pair of lead boots on ahead of Smith anyday and twice on Sundays. I realise Vids is crocked but there are at least four players who should be playing up front ahead of him. I'd even pick Zamblera before him, at least there is some chance he may resemble a footballer.

Our work rate drops visibly once we concede though. It's not a defence of Smith, more an indictment of the rest. It's the only reason I can see for him getting picked week in week out.

Guest Phil K

A certain type on here seems to be the No 1 fan of Smith - you his dad, "Janitor" ? 100% effort means absolutely sweet FA if it isnt accompanied by a modicum of ability, or actually having a positive as opposed to negative effect on the teams performance

How many chances does he get FFS ??

Smith doesn't even come up to zero on that. He's been an absolute disaster (I hate to say I told you so - but I TOLD YOU SO)

More of a hindrance than a help, and I'd class Butt only fractionally ahead of him.

Guest Phil K

Yeah - one of the fellers on here said "Haven't we been over this ?" and he's right.:deadhorse:

But still....grrrr......

Guest Phil K

Ever since the janitor went on holiday with him to florida, he's been bumming him. Even copied his hair, the big hom.

Tongue in cheek or in the know, Wullie ?

:D

I don't care for all this excuse-making on his behalf. Great, he tries 100% - I'd rather have a player who tried 5% and actually did something once in a while. The fact that some of our other players don't give as much and run around as much as him is totally immaterial. The plain fact is that he is useless. A half'fit, unmotivated Mark Viduka, with 3 goals to his name or whatever it is, has already scored 3 goals or whatever it is more than Smith will probably ever score for us. Giving 100% isn't a solid enough basis to get in the team, everybody should do it regardless. The fact that some don't while he does speaks more about our desperate transfer policy than it does as a justification for picking him. There is no justification. He is crap. Nobody can dispute this.

Ever since the janitor went on holiday with him to florida, he's been bumming him. Even copied his hair, the big hom.

Tongue in cheek or in the know, Wullie ?

:D

Tongue in cheek literally?

He's been awful this season but I didn't expect any better from him, he was just a poor signing from the day he put pen to paper and lacked any of the qualities we should have been looking for in a player back in the Summer.

Fat Sam is to blame for that of course but it doesn't mean people shouldn't feel resentment seeing a player of his ability level getting picked every week.

I felt sick when we signed him, couldn't believe we wasted that kind of money, but even I thought he'd do better than this.

Beyond any fear i had for him. Fears about Barton, Owen, Duff, Enrique plus a host of others came true as well. We just bring out the very worst in players, the possible worst case scenarios we bring to the boil, were cursed.

I guarantee if Smith went to Boro or Sunderland he'd have looked a tidy player. Nothing great but i bet he'd be scoring goals and looking like someone worth some money.

He's been awful this season but I didn't expect any better from him, he was just a poor signing from the day he put pen to paper and lacked any of the qualities we should have been looking for in a player back in the Summer.

Fat Sam is to blame for that of course but it doesn't mean people shouldn't feel resentment seeing a player of his ability level getting picked every week.

I felt sick when we signed him, couldn't believe we wasted that kind of money, but even I thought he'd do better than this.

Beyond any fear i had for him. Fears about Barton, Owen, Duff, Enrique plus a host of others came true as well. We just bring out the very worst in players, the possible worst case scenarios we bring to the boil, were cursed.

I guarantee if Smith went to Boro or Sunderland he'd have looked a tidy player. Nothing great but i bet he'd be scoring goals and looking like someone worth some money.

I doubt it like.

I doubt it like.

Good for you.

There's zero logic to your statement. Those two are almost exactly as bad as us yet you guarentee he'd have looked decent for them. Good for you too.

There's zero logic to your statement. Those two are almost exactly as bad as us yet you guarentee he'd have looked decent for them. Good for you too.

You thought he was a good player and would surprise a few people with his 'ability' when we signed him.

You thought he was a good player and would surprise a few people with his 'ability' when we signed him.

I did indeed and I was completely wrong wasn't I? I fully admit that. I thought he was a canny forward who, although not prolific, would be a decent target man. I still thought he should be number 4 striker though behind Owen, Viduka and Martins (not necessarily in that order). What worried me was that I knew he wouldn't be no. 4 after Allardyce had spent £6m on him.

I did indeed and I was completely wrong wasn't I? I fully admit that. I thought he was a canny forward who, although not prolific, would be a decent target man. I still thought he should be number 4 striker though behind Owen, Viduka and Martins (not necessarily in that order). What worried me was that I knew he wouldn't be no. 4 after Allardyce had spent £6m on him.

All i'm saying is that player you thought was canny would have been canny somewhere else, a smaller club (one with less expectations) would have appreciated the workrate of him, would have different pressures etc...The turmoil this club brings on itself is un-parallel to any other out there. Right now Sunderland are happy to be in a relegation fight and not to be KO'd and with no hope, they'd appreciate Smith running around looking like he's doing loads of work and for that it would present him totally different chances a different style of play and even some confidence and support, something he's not had and never will get here. That's my logic, i don't think there's zero in that at all. Right now he's worth fuk all to this club, but i think there are Prem teams in a relegation battle who'd love to have Smith and Smith would be looking good in their team.

The point scoring does go too far on here at times, I'm as bad as anyone but it really does spoil the board.

Have you met Mr. Kettle?

All i'm saying is that player you thought was canny would have been canny somewhere else, a smaller club (one with less expectations) would have appreciated the workrate of him, would have different pressures etc...The turmoil this club brings on itself is un-parallel to any other out there. Right now Sunderland are happy to be in a relegation fight and not to be KO'd and with no hope, they'd appreciate Smith running around looking like he's doing loads of work and for that it would present him totally different chances a different style of play and even some confidence and support, something he's not had and never will get here. That's my logic, i don't think there's zero in that at all. Right now he's worth fuk all to this club, but i think there are Prem teams in a relegation battle who'd love to have Smith and Smith would be looking good in their team.

Fair enough. I think he'd have struggled wherever he went. He looks finished to me.

The point scoring does go too far on here at times, I'm as bad as anyone but it really does spoil the board.

1st time i've done it tbf, and this was for a reason as when Smith signed Alex thought he was a player, and all i'm saying he could still have been that player if he moved somewhere else.

And if you want to be like that, you still rate Taylor :razz:

In a trench now, fuk am i surrendering.

:razz:

I'm just joking man :thup: