Alan Smith

tmonkey

I can't remember which game mate, I just hope the fact he has been dropped can put an end to the talk of his contract saying he has to play when fit.

Agreed. It's clearly bollocks.

So many cliches:

KK Influence Starting To Show - Smudge

By Craig Hope

ALAN Smith believes that the influence of Kevin Keegan is starting to tell despite the Magpies' continuing search for a first win under the new boss.

The Geordies were denied what would've been a deserved three points against Blackburn Rovers on Saturday with visiting keeper Brad Friedel producing a string of top drawer saves before Matt Derbyshire snatched a winner at the death.

But, with Keegan now more than six weeks in to his second managerial stint on Tyneside, Smith feels that the effect of a change in training and tactics is beginning to show out on the pitch.

"The more and more we work together the more influence the manager is having," the 27-year-old told Newcastle World TV.

"We are getting fitter and there is a camaraderie and that's something the gaffer has emphasised since he came in.

"Everyone is playing for each other and that stands us in good stead.

"It is a time where we have to stand up and be counted, go out in front of 52,000 people and prove our worth.

"We've got to show to everyone that we want to fight for the cause."

Smith, who has experienced the pain of top flight relegation with hometown club Leeds United in 2004, knows that Newcastle could be sucked into a basement battle if they don't start to get some much-needed points on board.

"It's getting tight but you always knew it would do," he added.

"We looked at our home games as ones that were winnable, and one was against Blackburn.

"We've deserved criticism on occasions this season and we're all big enough to accept that.

"It's up to us as a team, as players, and as people to sort that out."

Smith is average.  Not as bad as some of you make out.

Depends what you mean by average. He's not a Premiership player in a month of Sundays.

I actually think he's a better-than-average player considering his work rate, physicality, decent all-around technique etc. Purely based on aggregate individual ability he's probably better than the average Premiership player.

He just doesn't have a position. He can't play as a striker because Ferguson's failed experiment and a career-threatening injury completely ruined his goal-scoring instinct, can't play as an attacking midfielder because he doesn't have the vision, and can't play as a hard-tackling defensive midfielder because he was never properly programmed with the requisite defensive skillset.

If he wants to be a valuable asset to any Premiership side, his best bet is to stay at Striker and train intensively in shooting so he can get that spark back. For now, he's a classic example of "jack of all trades, master of none."

He's neat and tidy, that's just about all that can be said of him. Doesn't offer you anything that wouldn't get from a League 1 midfielder or striker, apart from even less goals.

I don't even buy the work rate argument personally and I haven't for a while. Only time he looks interested in putting the effort in is when the opposition have the ball and there's a chance to make a moronic tackle. Doesn't chase down lost causes, doesn't break his back to get forward on the break, doesn't make efforts to make meaningful runs into space, just happy to stand as close to the centre half as possible until we lose the ball then he's away, studs flying. Doesn't put in close to the effort of a Bellamy or even a Scott Parker. There was certain games in his first season where Parker would be doing the jobs of the other nine outfield men. I'd be happy for Smith to do his own, he can't even manage that.

I actually think he's a better-than-average player considering his work rate, physicality, decent all-around technique etc. Purely based on aggregate individual ability he's probably better than the average Premiership player.

He just doesn't have a position. He can't play as a striker because Ferguson's failed experiment and a career-threatening injury completely ruined his goal-scoring instinct, can't play as an attacking midfielder because he doesn't have the vision, and can't play as a hard-tackling defensive midfielder because he was never properly programmed with the requisite defensive skillset.

So you think he is  better than average Premiership player who cant play as a striker, attacking midfielder or defensive midfielder. So just where should this "better than average Premiership player" play?

Not sure he can be better than average if he cant play in any position to me that makes  him pointless.

So you think he is  better than average Premiership player who cant play as a striker, attacking midfield or defensive midfielder. So just where should this "better than average Premiership player" play?

Not sure he can be better than average if he cant play in any position to me that makes  him pointless.

Let me rephrase that.

His goal-scoring ability/First touch in front of goal is better than that of the average midfielder.

His passing ability/vision/defensive instinct is better than that of the average striker.

So aggregating everything, he's better than average. Unfortunately, when you look at those abilities individually none of them are good enough to excel in their respective positions.

And before you say how that's "meaningless because he's still shit," I'm not implying that he's good or anything. Just that it's kind of unfortunate because he's been fucked over developmentally.

Let me rephrase that.

His goal-scoring ability/First touch in front of goal is better than that of the average midfielder.

His passing ability/vision/defensive instinct is better than that of the average striker.

So aggregating everything, he's better than average. Unfortunately, when you look at those abilities individually none of them are good enough to excel in their respective positions.

And before you say how that's "meaningless because he's still s***," I'm not implying that he's good or anything. Just that it's kind of unfortunate because he's been f***** over developmentally.

Been fucked over developmentally!!!! Your having a laugh he was with the best kids & coaches in the country at Lilleshall. Went back to one of the best youth systems in the Uk at Leeds. He got to work under Fergie. He should be like Pele man.

Fergie realised he was a crap striker, so he moved him into midfield because of his qualities, realised he was crap there so sold him to us.  He has been shite for us all season even Ashley has dumped wearing his shirt.

His goal-scoring ability is better than that of the average midfielder.
Who are these midfielders?

Let me rephrase that.

And before you say how that's "meaningless because he's still s***," I'm not implying that he's good or anything. Just that it's kind of unfortunate because he's been f***** over developmentally.

Been f***** over developmentally!!!! Your having a laugh he was with the best kids & coaches in the country at Lilleshall. Went back to one of the best youth systems in the Uk at Leeds. He got to work under Fergie. He should be like Pele man.

Fergie realised he was a crap striker, so he moved him into midfield because of his qualities, realised he was crap there so sold him to us.  He has been s**** for us all season even Ashley has dumped wearing his shirt.

I think Ferguson would be the first person to admit that trying to convert Smith was a mistake. He was never good enough for ManU but if he was sold to a mid-table side before he was fucked around with, I think he'd be a servicable Premiership striker right around now. (No, I don't really have anything concrete to support this.)

His goal-scoring ability is better than that of the average midfielder.
Who are these midfielders?

Regardless of what's happened this season, you'd have to think that he'd score more goals than a random midfielder playing upfront.

Regardless of what's happened this season, you'd have to think that he'd score more goals than a random midfielder playing upfront.

He hasnt scored more than any player who has scored a goal never mind a midfielder upfront.

maybe should play a few reserve games to maybe get some kind of how-it-feels-to-score-a-goal feeling. if not I agree that he should be standing every day, every hour and minute at the training ground for the rest of the season and just shot and head balls - played in by Milner....

Guest toonlass

maybe should play a few reserve games to maybe get some kind of how-it-feels-to-score-a-goal feeling. if not I agree that he should be standing every day, every hour and minute at the training ground for the rest of the season and just shot and head balls - played in by Milner....

Maybe he should be dropped for a proper striker or midfielder.

So many cliches:

KK Influence Starting To Show - Smudge

By Craig Hope

ALAN Smith believes that the influence of Kevin Keegan is starting to tell despite the Magpies' continuing search for a first win under the new boss.

The Geordies were denied what would've been a deserved three points against Blackburn Rovers on Saturday with visiting keeper Brad Friedel producing a string of top drawer saves before Matt Derbyshire snatched a winner at the death.

But, with Keegan now more than six weeks in to his second managerial stint on Tyneside, Smith feels that the effect of a change in training and tactics is beginning to show out on the pitch.

"The more and more we work together the more influence the manager is having," the 27-year-old told Newcastle World TV.

"We are getting fitter and there is a camaraderie and that's something the gaffer has emphasised since he came in.

"Everyone is playing for each other and that stands us in good stead.

"It is a time where we have to stand up and be counted, go out in front of 52,000 people and prove our worth.

"We've got to show to everyone that we want to fight for the cause."

Smith, who has experienced the pain of top flight relegation with hometown club Leeds United in 2004, knows that Newcastle could be sucked into a basement battle if they don't start to get some much-needed points on board.

"It's getting tight but you always knew it would do," he added.

"We looked at our home games as ones that were winnable, and one was against Blackburn.

"We've deserved criticism on occasions this season and we're all big enough to accept that.

"It's up to us as a team, as players, and as people to sort that out."

For me this article pretty much sums up why the useless plank keeps getting in the team. We are in a battle or whatever cliche you want to use, and day to day on the training ground KK/allardyce/whoever would be seeing Smith's undoubtedly great attitude.

His "sir yes sir!" approach to training must just convince the management that hes really up for it and motivated and consequently they pick him. Its an incredibly dated and sunday league approach to picking a player but it is the only logical reason i can see for him getting in the team on a weekly basis, ahead of the quieter players/less hard working players like Emre.

I think it's probably more to do with people like Viduka having a shit attitude. Smith gets picked by default. I can understand the decision though.

But in Martins we have an explosive, pacy striker who can score goals from inside or outside the box with his left or right foot, and he's also pretty good in the air.

There is no logical explanation for Martins not being picked over Smith.

And while i'm on a rant, if Keegan is prepared to let us drop into the bottom 3 and possibly get relegated because he refuses to pick Viduka due to a bad attitude, despite the fact that he represents a far more potent threat on goal than Smith ever will, then he should leave.

By all means kick Viduka out in the summer, but we need him right now (bad attitude or not). We all know that Viduka would have buried that header against Blackburn -  the one that Smith ballooned over the bar from 3 yards out. He'd probably have helped himself to a couple more as well such was our dominance.

But in Martins we have an explosive, pacy striker who can score goals from inside or outside the box with his left or right foot, and he's also pretty good in the air.

There is no logical explanation for Martins not being picked over Smith.

And while i'm on a rant, if Keegan is prepared to let us drop into the bottom 3 and possibly get relegated because he refuses to pick Viduka due to a bad attitude, despite the fact that he represents a far more potent threat on goal than Smith ever will, then he should leave.

By all means kick Viduka out in the summer, but we need him right now (bad attitude or not). We all know that Viduka would have buried that header against Blackburn -  the one that Smith ballooned over the bar from 3 yards out. He'd probably have helped himself to a couple more as well such was our dominance.

I would get him on for the last 20 in the upcoming games...Agree to an extent.

The sad thing about Viduka is that, whilst he is a lazy fat bastard, attitude may stink etc. if we were to create a decent half chance I would have more confidence in him burying it than any of our other players at the moment.