Joey Barton is a very naughty boy. Discuss.

Fugazi

having a player on your books who has a record of attacking people for no good reason, including players from his own team, to the extent that he stubs a cigar out on one of their eyes, isn't the best advertisement for attracting new players here.

Didn't stop us signing him though did it.............

having a player on your books who has a record of attacking people for no good reason, including players from his own team, to the extent that he stubs a cigar out on one of their eyes, isn't the best advertisement for attracting new players here.

Didn't stop us signing him though did it.............

'that's all behind him, joey barton is making a fresh start, he won't let newcastle down'

Rugby players do worse on the pitch.

Reality check needed, it is brutal, yes. But all this role model shite is exactly that - shite.

I am my 3 yr old sons role model, i'll teach him right from wrong  and anyone who thinks footballers, who generally have nothing at all in common with the man on the street (or in the stands), should be put on a pedastal as figures of virtue need there fucking head looked at.

Guest Petay

I posted this when were were first linked, crikey, I did't expect to be so emphatically backed up by a player's actions.

I think this deserves its own thread but I've not posted enough so feck it I'll stick it in here.

I want to pose the question of is signing Joey Barton moral?  Football clubs many people are quick to point out are NOT just businesses they are part of the fabric of people's lives and upbrings.  People can even use a football club to form some sort of identity, this can be especially true of Newcastle fans (in case anyone was wondering I am a one).  Because of this can we look at the signing of Barton along purely footballing lines as in he's a pretty good player?  A disciplinary record like his would prevent him holding a job in the public sector and in many private business.  For me I can't justify the signing of Barton because of this.  So lets start a debate, oh and if any clever admin type person wants to stick this in a thread on its own with a poll that would be groovy.

i find this highly absurd. he's not on a rugby pitch, he just attacks two people he doesnt know for nowt. you wouldn't go up to someone you don't know, running at full pelt, and perform a two footed sliding tackle on them, just cos it happens on a football pitch,

Reality check needed, it is brutal, yes. But all this role model shite is exactly that - shite.

I am my 3 yr old sons role model, i'll teach him right from wrong and anyone who thinks footballers, who generally have nothing at all in common with the man on the street (or in the stands), should be put on a pedastal as figures of virtue need there fucking head looked at.

Difference circumstances in rugby tbf.

Agree about footballers as role models, not sure how anyone can expect a player who is from an impoverished background and then gets thousand of pounds a week hoyed at them to be great role models.

I don't like Barton in the slightest but we'd be mad to sack him unless we could hold onto his registration because if we sack him he'll be quid’s in.  Some other club will sign him without having to pay a fee and no doubt he'll get another signing on fee.

If we sack him the football club will be the only ones to take a financial hit.

Just seen the footage of Bartons assault. What a worthless character and it saddens and angers me to see him wearing my beloved black and white. As in life decent people need to stand up for what's right and principled even if, as in this case, there is a financial hit. Barton will never change for he doesn't possess the self-awareness to reform himself so it's up to Newcastle itself to change. No more buying shiesters, wankers, thugs, egotists, idiots, lard arses or anyone with dubious history or background. As he emerges through that prison gate there should be a representative from NUFC waiting for him with a letter from the Chairman telling him his contract has been terminated immediately and not to set foot within a light year of St James Park...

You know, I've been going back and forth on this one, but after seeing the footage and especially after reading the post quote, I have to agree. Something about the way you put it, I guess. Losing him wouldn't be the worst thing that happened, and he doesn't deserve to wear a Newcastle shirt.

Guest Heneage

Out of curiosity, if say I had a job at Currys, and I fought on the street did  small jail sentance would they sack me?

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I am my 3 yr old sons role model

God help him. And they wonder why you can't walk down the street without getting raped by a minor these days

I'm wondering where all of this reaction is coming from?

We've known for ages he was up on the Dabo case charges, and regardless of whether he pleaded guilty or not, he was still in jail to start with.

To be honest, like many others, that footage isn't as bad as I thought it would be to be honest.

It was a needless, savage attack, but it could've been worse.

Ive seen the video umpteen times and to be honest you all must live sheltered lives. There has been worse assaults i would wager last Friday/Saturday nights and there will be worse this Friday/Saturday night in any given city in the UK that you care to Name. He did not knife him, did not stamp on his head,  did not jump on his head when unconcious, he did not as part of a gang kick the living sh**e out of him.

I dont know who his victim was but as far as i am aware he was certainly no innocent bystander who Barton just happened to decide to lay into, so to state as James did that he will be booed out of respect of the victim is ridiculous.

I dont know what was said to Barton to provoke the assault but obviously something was. Not that i am saying that he was right to do what he did , we have laws against assaulting other people and for this incident he was arrested and charged for assaulting the guy but please dont paint the victim as a Mother Theresa character.

The victim was even pushed away at one point and came back to shout his mouth off which provoked another assault.

Did Barton have a criminal record before this conviction , i am asking because i truly do not know, not what the press have reported about his misdemeanors in the past but a fully fledged Police record. He has been found guilty of this particular assault and been given six months inside and he is now serving his time and paying his debt to society. Some might say if he did'nt have a criminal record prior to this sentence he has already been singled out for being a hight profile footballer and given a far harsher sentence then some with far more previous convictions are going to get for assaults that they carry out or have carried out which are probably far worse than what we have witnessed on the CCTV footage.

So NUFC as an employer does what any other employer would and begins disciplinary proceeding against him whether that would or could include sacking him i do not know but what i do know is that we cannot keep him because we need the bodies in the squad at the moment or we cant keep him until we decide we can do without him and we cannot use his imprisonment to half his wages. We either begin disciplinary proceedings or we dont.

Is it also moral that we should sack him but keep his registration to stop him plying his trade? If he where still a roofer would it be OK for his company to sack him without any formal disciplinary procedure but to also stop him plying his roofing skills with another company?

This is not meant to be a defence of Barton, he seems like a ned/chav whatever you want to call them, as where the "ladies" he was with,  nor his assault but we knew who we where purchasing at the time and most knew what we where getting with the package the cigar incident, Dabo etc etc

This whole incident really came as no surprise to most people but lets keep things a little in perspective.

I dont know who his victim was but as far as i am aware he was certainly no innocent bystander who Barton just happened to decide to lay into, so to state as James did that he will be booed out of respect of the victim is ridiculous.

I was going to say something about that. Not aiming this at James exclusively because he probably isn't the only one thinking of doing it, but I'd be really unimpressed and pretty disgusted if any of our fans actually did that at a game. I don't like the idea of booing anything related to NUFC (I just can't see how it helps the players other than reinforcing how unhappy we may or may not be) though I can understand why people want to and do when we're playing awful. It's not so much that I care about Barton's feelings but more because how exactly would that help the team - in other words, what would be the point? I'm sure Barton is more than aware of the hatred and vitriol he is attracting, he doesn't need his own 'fans' getting on his back during a match especially out of "respect" for his victim. What would you do if Barton happened to score? Boo him anyway amongst all the cheers?

To be honest James I've never had a problem with you and/or your posts until tonight and the above and your ridiculous comment about Nadal never deserving to win a match.

I was going to say something about that. Not just aiming this at James exclusively because he probably isn't the only thinking of doing it, but I'd be really unimpressed and pretty disgusted if any of our fans actually did that at a game. I don't like the idea of booing anything related to NUFC (I just can't see how it helps the players other than reinforcing how unhappy we may or may not be) though I can understand why people want to and do when we're playing awful. It's not so much that I care about Barton's feelings but more because how exactly would that help the team - in other words, what would be the point? I'm sure Barton is more than aware of the hatred and vitriol he is attracting, he doesn't need his own 'fans' getting on his back during a match especially out of "respect" for his victim. What would you do if Barton happened to score? Boo him anyway amongst all the cheers?

To be honest James I've never had a problem with you and/or your posts until tonight and the above and your ridiculous comment about Nadal never deserving to win a match.

:clap:

I'd be disgusted if anyone booed Barton, but we all know they will.

Yes, he's an idiot, and it's not to say I condone what he's done, but what exactly will it achieve?

actually he attacked two people, one of whom was a 16 year old walking past who Barton mistook for someone else, breaking a bunch of the boy's teeth.

actually he attacked two people, one of whom was a 16 year old walking past who Barton mistook for someone else, breaking a bunch of the boy's teeth.

Oh yeah, who told you this?

To be honest never seen that on the video

Oh yeah, who told you this?

was widely reported

As an unidentified man made obscene gestures to “loud and aggressive” Wilson, Barton stormed towards the stranger.

Mr Harris said: “Joey Barton can be clearly seen to punch the male with such force he was literally knocked off his feet.”

Barton, who had consumed 10 pints and five bottles of lager, then straddled his victim and punched him at least four times in the face, before his younger brother dragged him away.

Seconds later Barton, of Fox Bank Close, Widnes, turned on his victim again, hitting him up to 15 times.

Minutes later, the footballer attacked 16-year-old Jordan Spencer, punching him in the mistaken belief that he had slapped Wilson.

As he assaulted him, a member of Barton’s group was shouting: “Stamp on him, Joey, stamp on his head.”

Guest Darth Toon

Before I saw it I was expecting a really savage kicking based on the reports. It's nowhere near as bad as the rags made it out to be. 

I would agree with that - just a load of drunken flailing about as far as I can see.

Very interesting to see the club's reaction now though, if it's true he'll be out for pre-season training then surely sacking him becomes a lot trickier?

Guest nufc_geordie

I'm not condoning what Barton did in any way or form but after watching that clip for the first time ina ll fairness i've seen three year olds punch harder than that and it was no different to what you see in any taxi queue or kebab shop in any city after a normal weekend of drinking.

For such a song and dance to be made of it is a joke, and I still stand by the comments I made earlier on this year that as we signed him knowing full well what had happened with Dabo, and played him after that tarts slapping match in Liverpool, we aren't really in a position to take the moral high ground over this one.

If we really did want to sack him we shouldn't have put him back in the team when he got out of jail after Christmas.

Love it the way some people are suddenly the Krays. I've seen ants punch harder etc..Have a word with yerselves. He punched a random man about 14 times who wasn't fighting back. Disgrace.