Joey Barton is a very naughty boy. Discuss.

Fugazi

He's scum but we knew about the Dabo incident before BS bought him & a phone call to Stuart Pearce would have confirmed his guilt. If we were going to sack we should have done it after he got banged up. Too late now; we cann hardly sack because of something we knew about but let him stay after an incident when he was employed with us.

WTF was BS thinking when he bought him? Anyway he's our player & let's face it we are a bit short of them.

Guest Jungle Barry

As I remember there was always rumours of Shearer lamping such and such on the training ground

Dyer

Bellamy

Harper

All unsustantiated of course and probably bollocks

Have to say that reflecting upon the whole Barton debacle today I came to the conclusion that though his behaviour was and has been totally unedifying and brings the club into disrepute - this is nothing compared to what Bowyer (and Woodgate as well) did to Leeds before ending up here and causing trouble with Dyer...and yet they all were allowed a second, third, whatever chance...and then you think about Dennis Wise (whatever happened to him, by the way, can't help wondering where he ended up?) and that incident with the taxi...and as others have said, Shearer and Gillespie...and suddenly the "incovenient truth" genie pops up to say "Hello everyone!"...it's not black and white is it, more sort of shades of grey...

Have to say that reflecting upon the whole Barton debacle today I came to the conclusion that though his behaviour was and has been totally unedifying and brings the club into disrepute - this is nothing compared to what Bowyer (and Woodgate as well) did to Leeds before ending up here and causing trouble with Dyer...and yet they all were allowed a second, third, whatever chance...and then you think about Dennis Wise (whatever happened to him, by the way, can't help wondering where he ended up?) and that incident with the taxi...and as others have said, Shearer and Gillespie...and suddenly the "incovenient truth" genie pops up to say "Hello everyone!"...it's not black and white is it, more sort of shades of grey...

one incident with woodgate wasn't it ? as for bowyer there were many saying we shouldn't sign him. dennis wise chinned a taxi...bit different to stubbing a cigar out on someones eye,knocking out a team mate and punching him while semi-concious,then getting caught brawling in the street.

How long should Shearer have got for his assault on Keith Gillespie if that had been caught on camera?

And that was for only flicking bottle top's

Double standards

Keith Gillespie was a grown man that, by all accounts, was begging for it. Shearer didn't continue to hit him after he had knocked him down. Shearer didn't go around getting pissed and in fights all the time. He was a model professional 99% of the time.

Barton has beaten the s*** out of a 16 year old outside McDonalds, and continued to lay into Dabo as he lay semi conscious on the ground.

It's not double standards because they're two very different cases.

I hope that bit is tongue in cheek.

Nope. Gillespie was in his 20s while the kid on the video was exactly that, a kid.

Why not bring in Keane and Alfie Haaland. He finished his career, wasn't pissed and was caught and watched by millions.

All Barton has done is get pissed and smacked some kid, which btw he got/served 6 months for. Not drink driving then killing somebody, snapping somebodies leg etc.

Life moves on.

Why not bring in Keane and Alfie Haaland. He finished his career, wasn't pissed and was caught and watched by millions.

All Barton has done is get pissed and smacked some kid, which btw he got/served 6 months for. Not drink driving then killing somebody, snapping somebodies leg etc.

Life moves on.

The guy does it again and again and again though. If it is an isolated incident you can forgive or forget it. The cigar in the eye, the taxi driver, and now that you mention it he did run someone over and broke their leg a few years ago. He has shown no signs of changing as he's got older.

Life moves on.

pretty sure he was once caught on camera throwing a punch at someone after merely being called a name,he missed aswell if i remember correctly.

Life moves on.

pretty sure he was once caught on camera throwing a punch at someone after merely being called a name,he missed aswell if i remember correctly.

If Barton kit the back of the net with equally devastating accuracy and consistency as he hit Ousmane Dabo or that other lad in Liverpool city centre, I think a lot of people's attitudes on here towards whether we should get rid of him or not would be rather different. :nods:

Did Dennis Wise get anything for busting Callum Davidson nose and jaw during his time at Leicester?

don't think so but if he done it another 3 times i reckon action may have been taken.

Guest Ian56

Newcastle as a club and institution has reached an important point in it's history I feel. A turning point away from the excess of the old regime to a more diligent and considered approach to how the club is run in future. This approach should also be based around principle, morals and the standing of our club within the world game. How the board deals with Barton will reflect on our ability to attract the kind of player in the market who we should be signing. If Barton stays it will reflect not only badly on the board but also Keegan. In this keegan needs to show leadership not only for the well being of the club but how we are perceived in the game. Recent history has seen Newcastle as a ship of dubious characters who have not only insulted our support but the memory of the true greats who have worn the black and white. As a club we need to break this pathetic cycle of "give the guy one more chance" excuse for immoral behaviour. Barton and his ilk will never change for the simple obvious reason that he never has before. There can be no "but..." We have to do this now or at the first home game of the season when Barton runs out onto the pitch those that we trust to do their best for Newcastle United haven't learned a thing from the past...

How long should Shearer have got for his assault on Keith Gillespie if that had been caught on camera?

Double standards

Keith Gillespie was a grown man that, by all accounts, was begging for it. Shearer didn't continue to hit him after he had knocked him down. Shearer didn't go around getting pissed and in fights all the time. He was a model professional 99% of the time.

Barton has beaten the s*** out of a 16 year old outside McDonalds, and continued to lay into Dabo as he lay semi conscious on the ground.

Nope. Gillespie was in his 20s while the kid on the video was exactly that, a kid.

So presumably if it had of been an older  bloke Barton did it to, like say Dabo.........................

Double standards

So presumably if it had of been an older  bloke Barton did it to, like say Dabo.........................

You make it sound like i'm condoning what Shearer did, i'm not, i'm just saying it's a different incident and not as bad. Shearer punched Gillespie, Barton knocked both Dabo and the kid to the ground and carried on laying into them, that makes it alot worse in my eyes.

Newcastle as a club and institution has reached an important point in it's history I feel. A turning point away from the excess of the old regime to a more diligent and considered approach to how the club is run in future. This approach should also be based around principle, morals and the standing of our club within the world game. How the board deals with Barton will reflect on our ability to attract the kind of player in the market who we should be signing. If Barton stays it will reflect not only badly on the board but also Keegan. In this keegan needs to show leadership not only for the well being of the club but how we are perceived in the game. Recent history has seen Newcastle as a ship of dubious characters who have not only insulted our support but the memory of the true greats who have worn the black and white. As a club we need to break this pathetic cycle of "give the guy one more chance" excuse for immoral behaviour. Barton and his ilk will never change for the simple obvious reason that he never has before. There can be no "but..." We have to do this now or at the first home game of the season when Barton runs out onto the pitch those that we trust to do their best for Newcastle United haven't learned a thing from the past...

Well said that man.

Totally agree. A stand needs to be made on this IMO.

I'm edging towards Ian56's end of the opinion spectrum tbh. There'd be more of a case for sticking by him if he'd been an asset on the pitch. Which is something, by and large, he hasn't been.

As for the whole thing affecting incoming players; are players really going to be that enticed by the prospect of playing/training with Joey Barton? Regardless of whether or not he completes a jail sentence.

I'm prepared for us to sacrifice some immediate financial disruption if it would give us a better image on the whole; which i think it will do. And like i say, he's been poor for us anyhow. If it gives him a hefty paycheck, then so be it, but the fact of the matter is we've told the turd to fuck off - which would represtent that we're not going to roll over for individuals anymore.

Guest Ian56

Mail linking him with a year-long loan at Bolton with them paying half his wages. Don't know why we'd want to do that.

Serious lack of judgement on both parties if this is true. This situation is no good or benefit to Newcastle United whatsoever. I'm sure I read somewhere that Barton was on £60k a week which is frankly disgusting for someone of limited ability and awareness. Barton is no more than a box to box drone who has neither the wit nor guile for what is required in what should be a multi-faceted midfield system to link up with the front line. Barton has flattered to deceive whenever I'm watched him and will be no great loss despite lack of numbers. Keegan needs to replace Barton with a player that reads the game going on around him and is prepared to dictate the motion of the whole attack - imho Keegan should get Bullard from Fulham.

Mail linking him with a year-long loan at Bolton with them paying half his wages. Don't know why we'd want to do that.

Serious lack of judgement on both parties if this is true. This situation is no good or benefit to Newcastle United whatsoever. I'm sure I read somewhere that Barton was on £60k a week which is frankly disgusting for someone of limited ability and awareness. Barton is no more than a box to box drone who has neither the wit nor guile for what is required in what should be a multi-faceted midfield system to link up with the front line. Barton has flattered to deceive whenever I'm watched him and will be no great loss despite lack of numbers. Keegan needs to replace Barton with a player that reads the game going on around him and is prepared to dictate the motion of the whole attack - imho Keegan should get Bullard from Fulham.

i have a certain ammount of sympathy with your initial feelings but we really could do with a player like barton circa 2005/6. he is a twat who we should get rid of but he is a much better footballer than we have seen.

He should have already been sacked,once he'd been imprisoned.The fact he's admitted his guilt for the Dabo incident means nitsch,as it occurred before his move.He won't be sacked though because if we do someone else will pick him up for free,and its business at the end of the day,he is a commodity,just as Lee Hughes was when released.