Chelsea 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 29/12/07 - post match reaction from page 28

Dave

Guest Knightrider

I'd take Martins off, put Smith up top and bring Owen on. Push Smith right up and let Owen feed off any flick-ons or loose balls.

I think that the African Nations could do Martins the world of good, get him some regular games and some confidence back

He'll come back claiming he's the ANC top goalscorer, when in reality he didn't even get a game as he got lost on his way out of the airport.

Hasn't he claimed to be going to Nigeria to play internationals before, but not turn up, and reappear in the Italian mountains a day or so later?

Martins is desperately short on confidence, anyone can see that. Let's get him some chances, starting with pushing Charlie up (a radical idea I've just had) and pulling off the clown in front of him.

Or, put on one of our strikers who does have composure in front of goal...

Thing is though, none of our other strikers would have even got in a position like Martins did in those two instances as it was pure pace which got him the time/space.

Problem is though, Martins gets there, then doesn't have a f*cking clue what to do when he gets there. Change to 4-4-2, and go for it.

You're not wrong, definitely not. He's bound to stick one away though, surely? If it stays like this until 65 minutes, then I think you'll get your wish, but Smith won't be one of the players to make way. Martins + Faye/Butt.

Naaah, that would be TOO attacking for good old Sam. More likely Duff or Milner off with Martins. ;)