Chelsea 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 29/12/07 - post match reaction from page 28

Dave

Given

Beye      Cacapa         Taylor        N'Zogbia

Faye

Smith                 Butt

Milner           Martins                Duff

Would be my guess. Three holding midfield players effectively.

Mine too, on the ball anyway. If we are to have any chance they need to play the ball on the floor.

With that trio in central midfield, we will be utterly incapable of playing the ball on the floor.

It's unfathomable isn't it. We cannot, we just simply CANNOT play long high balls if Martins is our lone striker.

I just can't see the merit in changing the personnel and setup so drastically from game to game, it really confuses me.

It's been a pretty busy period so maybe it was to keep the team relatively fresh.

Then again, the team that played away to Wigan was so pathetic that the team needed a bit of a shakeup too.

Both fair points, but it's hardly going to help the team gel is it?

Fully expect them to run around like they've never met each other again today.

The wings are the key to this team. Faye and Butt will be destroying, and our wings are Beye/Milner and Zog/Duff. Hilario is shit, so if Smith gets forward to challenge for crosses we could cause trouble.

Given

Beye      Cacapa         Taylor        N'Zogbia

Faye

Smith                 Butt

Milner           Martins                Duff

Mine too, on the ball anyway. If we are to have any chance they need to play the ball on the floor.

With that trio in central midfield, we will be utterly incapable of playing the ball on the floor.

Faye will make us a bit better, simply because he is so strong on the ball and isn't afraid to lose it and so he doesn't rush into the first available long ball. It won't be perfect but it will be better than it has been recently.

Given

Beye      Cacapa        Taylor        N'Zogbia

Faye

Smith                Butt

Milner          Martins                Duff

It's unfathomable isn't it. We cannot, we just simply CANNOT play long high balls if Martins is our lone striker.

Surely its simple. Get it low and fast as possible to the wingers, fullbacks overlap, smith joins the attack, goal!!

In reality its Hoof it to martins and errr yeh that'll do..

I just can't see the merit in changing the personnel and setup so drastically from game to game, it really confuses me.

It's been a pretty busy period so maybe it was to keep the team relatively fresh.

Then again, the team that played away to Wigan was so pathetic that the team needed a bit of a shakeup too.

You surely can't be suggesting that we play the same personnel / formation as away to Wigan just to give some consistency though?

If they play that dire we need to make changes. If we don't change things then nothing will change. I think the problem is the formation though, and a 4-5-1 is not going to be productive. Ever.

I have to say though, even though Martins is up front on his own, I still think he prefers this to playing out wide. He should therefore be more effective or at least more of a threat.

He essentially played upfront alone all last season, with either Sibierski or Dyer just off him and he did alright as far as scoring goals goes.

You surely can't be suggesting that we play the same personnel / formation as away to Wigan just to give some consistency though?

If they play that dire we need to make changes. If we don't change things then nothing will change. I think the problem is the formation though, and a 4-5-1 is not going to be productive. Ever.

Looks like we're trying something we've not tried before this season, and with players in positions they've not played in.

Given

Beye      Cacapa        Taylor        N'Zogbia

Faye

Smith                Butt

Milner          Martins                Duff

Faye will make us a bit better, simply because he is so strong on the ball and isn't afraid to lose it and so he doesn't rush into the first available long ball. It won't be perfect but it will be better than it has been recently.

Whether he's afraid of it or not, he'll still lose it constantly.

Chelsea press very well when they don't have the ball, so to have success against them you need to have either players in midfield who are good at quick, one-touch passing football. We don't.

Alternatively you need a target man who you can play direct balls to and have him link the play with players coming from deep. We have Martins up front on his own...

I'd have played Smith up front personally, hope we do. Maybe Martins on the right, Duff on the left and Milner in midfield looking to get forward while Butt and Faye hold.

Looks like we're trying something we've not tried before this season, and with players in positions they've not played in.

Well nothing we've tried so far this season has worked, so why not?