Graham Poll: Encroaching on pens

Keefaz

Just on MOTD2 saying that the punishment for encroaching on a penalty isn't a re-take but to give the opposition a free-kick! No one wonder no one gives it!

its one of those things thats highly irritating yet never given, along with foul throws, which just dont seem to matter anymore, i reckon a player could haul it in over arm nowadays and they wouldnt pull them on it

Just on MOTD2 saying that the punishment for encroaching on a penalty isn't a re-take but to give the opposition a free-kick! No one wonder no one gives it!

its one of those things thats highly irritating yet never given, along with foul throws, which just dont seem to matter anymore, i reckon a player could haul it in over arm nowadays and they wouldnt pull them on it

They've also slackened off on the "goalkeepers moving off their line when a penalty is taken" rule too imo

They've also slackened off on the "goalkeepers moving off their line when a penalty is taken" rule too imo

That's because every goalkeeper has to go forward before he dives, it was a crazy rule. You should be allowed one step forward.

If the player scores the penalty, the kick is retaken.

If the player misses (in the case of the Spurs) then an indirect freekick to the opposing team is given.

However, if the encroaching is done by a member of the goalkeeper's team, if the penalty is scored, it stands. If it isn't scored, it's retaken.

If the player misses (in the case of the Spurs) then an indirect freekick to the opposing team is given.

However, if the encroaching is done by a member of the goalkeeper's team, if the penalty is scored, it stands. If it isn't scored, it's retaken.

Poll implied that a free-kick would've been given yesterday when the penalty was scored if the ref had chosen to act on the encroachment. What are the chances Graham Poll could be wrong about something like that?

That's because every goalkeeper has to go forward before he dives, it was a crazy rule. You should be allowed one step forward.

No you shouldn't. The penalty is awarded 12-yards from goal and is meant to award the attacking team. If a keeper wants to move forward at a penalty then they should start a yard behind the line and take a step forward upto the line.

Poll implied that a free-kick would've been given yesterday when the penalty was scored if the ref had chosen to act on the encroachment. What are the chances Graham Poll could be wrong about something like that?

Mowen's right, he was talking about that specific case. The laws of the game (sadly I know them :lol:) state that if the penalty was scored, it wouldn't matter as Defoe would have been irrelevant. The fact that the keeper saved, brought the other players into play.

Random question... am i right in thinking that players are not allowed to go any further than the D, thus actually giving that line an actual purpose?

(I had an oral football exam last year, that was the only question i didn't know - 'what is the D for?')

Random question... am i right in thinking that players are not allowed to go any further than the D, thus actually giving that line an actual purpose?

(I had an oral football exam last year, that was the only question i didn't know - 'what is the D for?')

Yep, it makes sure all players are at least ten yards away from the penalty spot.

Its all irrelevant anyway. Can anyone expect any official to carry out even the most basic of law keeping in light of yesterdays offside fraud.

It aint the first time its happened to us either.Does anyone remember Alan Smith scoring for Leeds against us on a Wednesday night at St. James,when he was offside for the whole of an attack.

FOOTBALL HAS TO BE CORRUPT FOR THIS TO KEEP HAPPENING IN FAVOUR OF SUPPOSED TOP 4 CLUBS!

Its all irrelevant anyway. Can anyone expect any official to carry out even the most basic of law keeping in light of yesterdays offside fraud.

It aint the first time its happened to us either.Does anyone remember Alan Smith scoring for Leeds against us on a Wednesday night at St. James,when he was offside for the whole of an attack.

FOOTBALL HAS TO BE CORRUPT FOR THIS TO KEEP HAPPENING IN FAVOUR OF SUPPOSED TOP 4 CLUBS!

Alan Smith? Scoring? At SJP?

*cheeky wink*

What i hate isn't encroaching on pens, but dummying them, or halting run ups.

I agree. It's fucking cheating. Keane does it all the time.

Yes, I was about to add 'like that cunt Keane does' but laziness overcame me. I am sure it used to be illegal, but it seems to happen all the time now.

What i hate isn't encroaching on pens, but dummying them, or halting run ups.

I agree. It's fucking cheating. Keane does it all the time.

I was always under the impression that it was a 'clean' run up and strike at goal.

As i said, it always used to be but seems to be ignored.

John Aldridge started it.

*cheeky wink*

I know but lets be fair,Chelsea have 3 points more this period than they should down to dodgy officials.1 yesterday and 2 against Villa.

*cheeky wink*

I know but lets be fair,Chelsea have 3 points more this period than they should down to dodgy officials.1 yesterday and 2 against Villa.

Surely 2 yesterday and 1 against us?

You are right, btw

*cheeky wink*

Surely 2 yesterday and 1 against us?

You are right, btw

Yes you are correct,the way you said.Villa would have won and we would have drawn.Beer for you isn't it.