Martins

Guest K9

He's f***ing unstoppable when on form. Him, Owen and Xisco as a front 3 would absolutely rocket us up that table

Did you see Xisco in you dreams? I just can not imagin people make stuff up just with names. It is time to appreciate Amobe he have the short now and lets be real..

I think Jonas is more important for Martins' game, he thrives when there is another pacy player creating space for him. they looked excellent against man utd opening day of the season and dovetailed really well again today.

This is true, he always linked up well with Dyer too when he was here.

Fell on his arse :lol: was funny just happy he did not injure himself, he was fantastic last night but still room for improvement, needs to be a bit more mobile antisipate more but fkn hell he caused them all sorts of problems.

He's f***ing unstoppable when on form. Him, Owen and Xisco as a front 3 would absolutely rocket us up that table

Did you see Xisco in you dreams? I just can not imagin people make stuff up just with names. It is time to appreciate Amobe he have the short now and lets be real..

and if the rumours are to be believed, you're back on the boddle

The best player at the club. I said it all along may be many of you don't agree with this but he is top talent and he just turned 24.

He played well tonight and scored the goals - but 'best player at the club' he definitely ISN'T.

When he has scored 20 goals a season for at least 2 seasons(provided he has been fit) THEN you can start making those sort of claims ; he isn't even the best STRIKER at the club Owen is, and has the International goals to go with it.

At 24, he should be almost the finished article.

Not sure what's happening to me, but Martins (and Butt) are winning me over time and time again this season after being two players I never really liked (well, with Oba, just not to the extent that most on here seem to.)

Obviously he's still got his faults, but he's still here and he's still scoring good goals, and that's good enough for me.

The best player at the club. I said it all along may be many of you don't agree with this but he is top talent and he just turned 24.

He played well tonight and scored the goals - but 'best player at the club' he definitely ISN'T.

When he has scored 20 goals a season for at least 2 seasons(provided he has been fit) THEN you can start making those sort of claims ; he isn't even the best STRIKER at the club Owen is, and has the International goals to go with it.

Drogba, Ballack and Deco were far fom the finished article at 24 and only really came to prominance in their late 20's.

I don't really give a shit if he's the fiinished article or not, he just sunk Villa with his 3rd goal in two games so those of us who were making his case are vindicated. At least more so than those who were comparing him to Franz Carr a few pages back.

BTW that doesn't mean he's a world class striker all of a sudden, just one of the best we've got and thank fuck he's here.

Guest Stephen927

I'd like to see him learn a thing or two from the Michael Owen of old. Hanging on the last defender and timing his runs perfectly.

It's not an easy thing to do or teach though.

Guest icemanblue

I don't really give a shit if he's the fiinished article or not, he just sunk Villa with his 3rd goal in two games so those of us who were making his case are vindicated. At least more so than those who were comparing him to Franz Carr a few pages back.

BTW that doesn't mean he's a world class striker all of a sudden, just one of the best we've got and thank fuck he's here.

Summed up me feelings nicely. I'm incredibly happy we have a player like him.

I'd like to see him learn a thing or two from the Michael Owen of old. Hanging on the last defender and timing his runs perfectly.

I'd like to see Owen learn a thing or two from Martins. Being able to shoot with both feet and actually shooting from outside the box once in a while.

They are both different players. It's something we have to accept.

I'd like to see Owen learn a thing or two from Martins. Being able to shoot with both feet and actually shooting from outside the box once in a while.

They are both different players. It's something we have to accept.

indeed

that said, I see his point. If Martins could time his runs like Owen did pre 2003 he'd be absolutely unstoppable

Its impossible to pick a position for him, because in each of the forward roles he has his weakness, i dont think he;s great at running onto the ball, i dont think he enjoys having the with his back facing the goal and i dont think his distribution and decision making is consistent enough. However Id say that id like to see him play the Owen role last season, in the hole where theres space and time to turn becasue its a difficult area to mark. I know we'd get some massive inonsistency out of him be it wild shots or innaccurate passes but i think he'd have the ability to do some good things during the game which could lead to oppurtunities.

With Oba undroppable at the moment and Shola putting in a good shift by all accounts who makes way for Owen? I cant see Kinnear going with 3 up front and i cant see Owen being kept on the bench.

Its impossible to pick a position for him, because in each of the forward roles he has his weakness, i dont think he;s great at running onto the ball, i dont think he enjoys having the with his back facing the goal and i dont think his distribution and decision making is consistent enough. However Id say that id like to see him play the Owen role last season, in the hole where theres space and time to turn becasue its a difficult area to mark. I know we'd get some massive inonsistency out of him be it wild shots or innaccurate passes but i think he'd have the ability to do some good things during the game which could lead to oppurtunities.

With Oba undroppable at the moment and Shola putting in a good shift by all accounts who makes way for Owen? I cant see Kinnear going with 3 up front and i cant see Owen being kept on the bench.

Maybe he'll drop Butt, and play Owen just off the front two with Barton dropping a bit deeper?

Oba Martins looking up after Aston Villa goals

Nov 4 2008 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Obafemi Martins on the ball during the 2-0 win over Aston Villa

NEWCASTLE United goal hero Oba Martins has revealed he is only looking up the Premier League table after polishing off Aston Villa.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/11/04/oba-martins-looking-up-after-aston-villa-goals-72703-22178114/

Summed up me feelings nicely. I'm incredibly happy we have a player like him.

Me too. He can frustrate me at times but as long as he gets the ball in the back of the net I'm happy to have him playing for us.

• 7 months later...

The Bundesliga side, managed by former Bayern Munich boss Felix Magathe, have been credited with an interest in Martins by reports in Germany, but are only prepared to go to 7million.

Brilliant journalism as ever. Magath isn't the manager any more, but has taken over at Schalke + Wolfsburg are said to want offer only 7m Euro, not pound (though the difference isn't that much anymore).

Martins would only be a backup player with them having already Grafite (28 League goals in 25 matches) and Dzeko (26 goals in 32 league games) ,unless latter is sold to Milan or another top club which doesn't look likely at the moment.

Guest ObaStar

The Bundesliga side, managed by former Bayern Munich boss Felix Magathe, have been credited with an interest in Martins by reports in Germany, but are only prepared to go to 7million.

Brilliant journalism as ever. Magath isn't the manager any more, but has taken over at Schalke + Wolfsburg are said to want offer only 7m Euro, not pound (though the difference isn't that much anymore).

Martins would only be a backup player with them having already Grafite (28 League goals in 25 matches) and Dzeko (26 goals in 32 league games) ,unless latter is sold to Milan or another top club which doesn't look likely at the moment.

damm, why cant we have strikers like that