Martin Jol

Flip

Would any of you take him?

I would, he took Tottenham to two straight 5th places and except this season had a good manager career. He has won titles in Holland and i think he would do a good job, better then Hughes or Redknapp.

Dont get me wrong i would love Mourinho but at the moment he looks like the best of the realistic ones.

No thanks, would rather bend over backwards until the end of the season to get " The Special One "

You'd be right to want Mourinho, he's a fantastic manager, but with all the will in the world, he's not going to take the job is he?

I would, he took Tottenham to two straight 5th places and except this season had a good manager career. He has won titles in Holland and i think he would do a good job, better then Hughes or Redknapp.

Dont get me wrong i would love Mourinho but at the moment he looks like the best of the realistic ones.

No thanks, would rather bend over backwards until the end of the season to get " The Special One "

You'd be right to want Mourinho, he's a fantastic manager, but with all the will in the world, he's not going to take the job is he?

No he isnt unfortunately

Hiddink it is then

No he isnt unfortunately

Hiddink it is then

Now, that's a bit more realistic.

No. Finished 5th twice yes, spending more than everyone bar Chelsea in the process. Tactically he was absolutely clueless and had no idea what a defence was. Poor mans Keegan.

Hughes and Redknapp are better managers.

O0

Can't believe anyone would prefer to have him over Redknapp, one of the great old time wheeler dealers.  As having a soft spot for Newcastle, I'd hate to see him become the new manager.  Now if Wenger left, I'd be happy to see him join the scum up the road.  Nuff said?

I like his funny voice.

Do you ever listen to (the now discontinued) Danny Baker and Danny Kelly podcasts?

They did one about two months ago where DB started it with a fucking brilliant impression of Martin Jol.

Aye, I caught a few. Didn't hear that one, though.

No he isnt unfortunately

Hiddink it is then

Now, that's a bit more realistic.

reckon he would do better as well

Can't believe anyone would prefer to have him over Redknapp, one of the great old time wheeler dealers. 

For every good player there has been a Marco Boogers, Paulo Futre and Florin Raducioiu....

tbf.. no there's not... Harry has been successful in the transfer market consistently...

Hughes > Redknapp = Martin Jol

Can't believe anyone would prefer to have him over Redknapp, one of the great old time wheeler dealers. 

For every good player there has been a Marco Boogers, Paulo Futre and Florin Raducioiu....

and Amdy Faye, Ivica Mornar, Valery Mezague...

I could name you half a dozen poor singings from any of the managers of the top four (exclude Grant for Jose).

btw Faye seemed like a good player when he was at P'Mouth because he had a very simple role.

Wenger had Christophe Wreh!  Redknapp's overall record is a lot more hits than misses.

Wenger had Christophe Wreh!  Redknapp's overall record is a lot more hits than misses.

Jeffers is the example I use to prove that Wenger is not God. The swift mention of any combination of Viana/Boumsong/Owen/Luque/Smith makes me shut up swiftly.

Uncle Alan is now hinting at Martin Jol!:

The man from Pompey - he says no!

Jan 12 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

HARRY REDKNAPP stunned the football world today when he turned down the chance to manage Newcastle United to stay at Portsmouth.

And it left United fans wondering just where the club will turn to next.

But undoubtedly many of those fans will want Alan Shearer, boosted by unconfirmed reports that the United legend was ready to take over.

Yet it did not appear as if Shearer was on owner Mike Ashley’s radar after he was not informed of Sam Allardyce’s sacking – and only heard about it when the news filtered through to his Barbados base from sources inside St James’s Park.

I was one of the few journalists to speak to Redknapp yesterday, and when I put the phone down I was of the opinion that I had been talking to the next manager of Newcastle United.

But his wife Sandra is his rock and his sons Mark and Jamie are always consulted in any major decision in the Redknapp household – and there was a family decision on the south coast last night.

Yet Harry joked that his two bulldogs were his big concern.

And I joked with him that Tynemouth beach was as good as any on the south coast.

But after a family meeting last night Redknapp informed the media in Portsmouth that he was staying at Fratton Park.

However, United fans are more concerned with who will now arrive in the hot seat at St James’s Park after the No 1 target has turned his back on the club.

Shearer will be very much to the fore, even though some supporters feel that he lacks the experience to take over one of the biggest jobs in football.

The impression I get from some of the fans I have talked to is that they don’t want Shearer to take over at this moment in time because they love him so much they don’t want him to fail.

Funnily enough, the word Shearer and the rest of the former United contingent have been hearing across in Barbados is that Martin Jol has been very much in United’s thoughts.

Indeed, last Friday night Jol’s No 2 at Spurs Chris Hughton was making inquiries about what life was like on Tyneside.

But the ball is very much back in the court of Mike Ashley and his chairman Chris Mort.

Guest alankhaw

I cringe when this guy does interviews. He always thinks his team should have got something out of the game when they didn't deserve to

I cringe when this guy does interviews. He always thinks his team should have got something out of the game when they didn't deserve to

One of the most honest managers in the prem, I've never heard him make excuses, lots of negatives could be levelled against him as a manager making excuses isn't one of them.

Jol got a horribly raw deal at Spurs to be fair, they were consistantly improving until his realtionship with the board went tits up.

Wanted Elano instead of Bent as well, apparently.

I reckon there are better candidates out there, but Jol wouldn't be bad at all and would certainly bring the attacking football Ashley seems to want.

Won't be him though I don't think.

Guest Slagter_Palle

I'd rather take Vicente Del Bosque.... He's avaible, won everything with madrid, knows what it takes at the absolute top level in europe.