Ashley has failed Newcastle United.

Parky

If we go down it is Mort and Ashley's fault no one else's. Discuss.

I'll discuss it if we go down. Until then it's a moot point.

Whether we go down or not from this point on will have very little to do with what Ashley & Mort do now. That is in the hands of the manager, the players, and the other teams in the scrap. It is the decisions they have already made which have put us in the position where relegation is a distinct possibility. It's like saying it's okay to drink drive if you don't kill anyone.

The decisions at the start of the season were cautious, which was understandable if frustrating for us as supporters.

The decisions in January were high risk, showed a lack of understanding of the seriousness of the situation, and are deserving of criticism whatever the outcome.

Keegan had 9 days to try and sign players in the transfer window. importantly, players that he wanted. At that point relegation was not on the radar and the decision was made to wait till the summer to get genuine targets which was sensible what we are seeing now is people coming out of the woodwork armed with a shitload of hindsight, now that we have failed to pick up points.

yes it was if you had opened your eyes

The point still stands.

The point he had 9 days?

Fuck me.

He had half the window.

If he didn't know what he was doing he should never have been made manager of a club who desperately needed to sign players.

This is what I mean when I talk about people armed with shitloads of hindsight.

Its nothing to do with hindsight, i was happy to have KK back as i thought we'd get a good chunk of players in to the club, not just in the summer but in the window. We want 3 players is what we were told all window, i was led to believe we'd get them.

Nowt to do with hindsight, everything to do with being let down.

absolutely, and didnt' KK say after his first home game in charge that he WOULD bring in 3 players before the end of the deadline.

Its nothing to do with hindsight, i was happy to have KK back as i thought we'd get a good chunk of players in to the club, not just in the summer but in the window. We want 3 players is what we were told all window, i was led to believe we'd get them.

So you thought a manager who had been out of the game for 3 years would have identified transfers before coming here?  That's what you are virtually saying because managers identify targets before the window, not during and Keegan in all fairness probably wasn't doing that as he wasn't in management.

Are you really saying a club our size had no idea or shortlist or targets or dossiers on anybody when KK arrived?? I don't believe it.

And if that was the case hiring a manager like KK at that time can be seen as nothing other than a gamble whatever the underpinning sentiments.

Absolutely, after all, this amount of "non planning" should have been a thing of the past after the only chairman in the world who didn't have "plans" had left the club ie the fat bastard

Serious question now then NE5, which part of the past season bothers you? Not giving Allardyce more money? The timing of his sacking? Him being sacked? Bringing Keegan in instead of someone else? Now considering Keegan has said it was his decision not to bring anyone in, what decision by the board has bothered you? 

The very nature of the

Whether we go down or not from this point on will have very little to do with what Ashley & Mort do now. That is in the hands of the manager, the players, and the other teams in the scrap. It is the decisions they have already made which have put us in the position where relegation is a distinct possibility. It's like saying it's okay to drink drive if you don't kill anyone.

The decisions at the start of the season were cautious, which was understandable if frustrating for us as supporters.

The decisions in January were high risk, showed a lack of understanding of the seriousness of the situation, and are deserving of criticism whatever the outcome.

Keegan had 9 days to try and sign players in the transfer window. importantly, players that he wanted. At that point relegation was not on the radar and the decision was made to wait till the summer to get genuine targets which was sensible what we are seeing now is people coming out of the woodwork armed with a shitload of hindsight, now that we have failed to pick up points.

Weren't you advocating signing Benjani in the transfer window? He looks a proper pile of shit tbh.

The very nature of the

Weren't you advocating signing Benjani in the transfer window? He looks a proper pile of shit tbh.

Ameobi and Viduka are just what we need like.

What a difference Benjani's made to City tbf. For the first time this season they actually look fairly shit.

mackems.gif

Oh well, if you insist, the new board have done everything right apart from not telling us we're all mugs for buying from the club shop and not sportsdirect.com

We should be top of the league next week now.

Mort/the club put a slight spin at the time on Mike digging deep to pay £45 million off the clubs debt but as it has now become clear he had to due to the fact Fred negioated a belter deal or the bank insisted on it as soon as the "FAT BASTARD  mackems.gif" fucked off the new owners who ever they were had to stump up the £45 million witin 60 days. Who knows how much would of went towards team investment if Mike didnt HAVE to stump up this money.

Mort/the club put a slight spin at the time on Mike digging deep to pay £45 million off the clubs debt but as it has now become clear he had to due to the fact Fred negioated a belter deal or the bank insisted on it as soon as the "FAT BASTARD  mackems.gif" fucked off the new owners who ever they were had to stump up the £45 million witin 60 days. Who knows how much would of went towards team investment if Mike didnt HAVE to stump up this money.

Didn't we get any telly money?

Mort/the club put a slight spin at the time on Mike digging deep to pay £45 million off the clubs debt but as it has now become clear he had to due to the fact Fred negioated a belter deal or the bank insisted on it as soon as the "FAT b******  mackems.gif" f***** off the new owners who ever they were had to stump up the £45 million witin 60 days. Who knows how much would of went towards team investment if Mike didnt HAVE to stump up this money.

Yes.

What a difference Benjani's made to City tbf. For the first time this season they actually look fairly shit.

mackems.gif

Oh well, if you insist, the new board have done everything right apart from not telling us we're all mugs for buying from the club shop and not sportsdirect.com

We should be top of the league next week now.

I can see what that has to do with Benjani.

Well done for coming across as a fruitcake.

The big tv money doesn't come in until the end of the season.

Rubbish.

The fault is the man who employed Souness followed by Roeder followed by Allardyce.  If Shepherd had employed a top European manager after Robson, to take over an excellent group of players, we would have moved forward and upwards. Instead, Souness was given the job.

Ashley and Mort would have to take some responsibility if we go down. Ashley bought the club in the summer and it was his decision to keep Allardyce on and then not give him much financial backing. This was despite the fact that many clubs around us were investing more heavily. It was also Ashley/Mort's decision to adopt a cautious approach in the transfer market so that players were sold before players came in resulting in transfer targets being missed. It was Ashley/Mort's decision to sack the manager despite not having a replacement lined up. And when their first choice turned them down it was their decision to take the risk of appointing a manager who hadn't managed a club for 3 years. And it was their decision to do this in a transfer window at a time when the club was not mathematically safe from relegation.

Whatever anyone may think of those decisions Ashley and Mort have to held responsible for the consequences of making them. 

and there you have it.

Although some people would watch us sliding down to the 3rd division and just as long as he doesn't call our women dogs or say we are idiots for buying 40 quid shirts [i mean who is daft enough to pay 40 quid for a football shirt] then he'll be better chairman and owner  than the fat b****** and the Halls.

Just for the record I didn't intend my post to be a ringing endorsement of the old board by the way. It's just a list of decisions Ashley/Mort have made that have imo played a huge part in where we find ourselves now. Some of the more "questionable" decisions they have made are almost direct repeats of decisions made by the old board that (admittedly with hindsight) we now know to have been highly damaging mistakes.

Rubbish.

The fault is the man who employed Souness followed by Roeder followed by Allardyce.  If Shepherd had employed a top European manager after Robson, to take over an excellent group of players, we would have moved forward and upwards. Instead, Souness was given the job.

Ashley and Mort would have to take some responsibility if we go down. Ashley bought the club in the summer and it was his decision to keep Allardyce on and then not give him much financial backing. This was despite the fact that many clubs around us were investing more heavily. It was also Ashley/Mort's decision to adopt a cautious approach in the transfer market so that players were sold before players came in resulting in transfer targets being missed. It was Ashley/Mort's decision to sack the manager despite not having a replacement lined up. And when their first choice turned them down it was their decision to take the risk of appointing a manager who hadn't managed a club for 3 years. And it was their decision to do this in a transfer window at a time when the club was not mathematically safe from relegation.

Whatever anyone may think of those decisions Ashley and Mort have to held responsible for the consequences of making them. 

and there you have it.

Although some people would watch us sliding down to the 3rd division and just as long as he doesn't call our women dogs or say we are idiots for buying 40 quid shirts [i mean who is daft enough to pay 40 quid for a football shirt] then he'll be better chairman and owner  than the fat b****** and the Halls.

Just for the record I didn't intend my post to be a ringing endorsement of the old board by the way. It's just a list of decisions Ashley/Mort have made that have imo played a huge part in where we find ourselves now. Some of the more "questionable" decisions they have made are almost direct repeats of decisions made by the old board that (admittedly with hindsight) we now know to have been highly damaging mistakes.

I know. I don't deliberately intend myself to make ringing endorsements of the old board either, but just by pointing out that the things they did do right maybe suggests they did a lot more things that were right than people realise, or in some cases, are prepared to admit and I don't mean you.

I just agree with you completely that, for better or worse, its been Ashleys club since last summer so its all been his responsibility ever since.

If he didn't want Allardyce he should have replaced him, or backed him. It was his choice.

Rubbish.

and there you have it.

I know. I don't deliberately intend myself to make ringing endorsements of the old board either, but just by pointing out that the things they did do right maybe suggests they did a lot more things that were right than people realise, or in some cases, are prepared to admit and I don't mean you.

I just agree with you completely that, for better or worse, its been Ashleys club since last summer so its all been his responsibility ever since.

If he didn't want Allardyce he should have replaced him, or backed him. It was his choice.

he did back him to the tune of what the previous board did on average didn't he ?

Rubbish.

and there you have it.

he did back him to the tune of what the previous board did on average didn't he ?

he also backed him more than Gordon McKeag but didn't break the world transfer record

Well see if he backs his managers more than smaller clubs than us over his whole tenure - like the last board did - and we'll see if he matches those Champions League and European qualifications as a result too.

Rubbish.

and there you have it.

he also backed him more than Gordon McKeag but didn't break the world transfer record

did fat fred break the record every season ? no so why should ashley.

telll you what, put your stats where your gob is and post the season on season net spend since shepherd took over then we'll compare.

The point still stands.

The point he had 9 days?

Fuck me.

He had half the window.

If he didn't know what he was doing he should never have been made manager of a club who desperately needed to sign players.

absolutely, and didnt' KK say after his first home game in charge that he WOULD bring in 3 players before the end of the deadline.

He tried and failed to sign Woodgate, Barnes, Deco and that Croation lad in January.

I agree that we could have done with some new players, but it wasn't as if he sat on his hands and let the window flow by whilst doing nowt

Rubbish.

and there you have it.

telll you what, put your stats where your gob is and post the season on season net spend since shepherd took over then we'll compare.

I added to the last post.

I'm not interested in "net" spend. For starters, the clubs have more money now. I'm more bothered about the clubs league positions

The last board rose to the challenge of their competitors/rivals and beat most of them, by virtue of qualifying for europe more than all of them bar 4. 

Ashley has to do the same.

Rubbish.

and there you have it.

I added to the last post.

I'm not interested in "net" spend. For starters, the clubs have more money now. I'm more bothered about the clubs league position.

The last board rose to the challenge of their competitors/rivals and beat most of them and qualified for europe more than all of them bar 4.  Ashley has to do the same.

How can you say you're not interested in net spend when you've been banging on about it all season?

The point still stands.

The point he had 9 days?

Fuck me.

He had half the window.

He tried and failed to sign Woodgate, Barnes, Deco and that Croation lad in January.

I agree that we could have done with some new players, but it wasn't as if he sat on his hands and let the window flow by whilst doing nowt

that may be true, but I am not going to believe the new owners have the desire to beat our rivals until I see it.

In the meantime, not even signing a loan player or a short term player could yet prove the difference between staying up and going down.

Rubbish.

and there you have it.

Sorry to butt in here but it's difficult to put a comparison like that in context tbh. You'd have to factor in the way revenues available from TV matches etc have grown. FWIW I think the only meaningful comparison of what we spent in the summer and in January is with clubs like Villa, Spurs, Man City maybe even Pompey now. Clubs similar to us.

Rubbish.

and there you have it.

Sorry to butt in here but it's difficult to put a comparison like that in context tbh. You'd have to factor in the way revenues available from TV matches etc have grown. FWIW I think the only meaningful comparison of what we spent in the summer and in January is with clubs like Villa, Spurs, Man City maybe even Pompey now. Clubs similar to us.

yes, that is what I had in mind when I added to the post