Ashley has failed Newcastle United.

Parky

The fact that they have not tried for any other manager bothers me.

The fact that it seems that their criteria for appointing managers is 'pick a mate' bothers me even more.

The fact that successful managers are never appointed during season bothers me most.

Robson wasn't successful?  If Redknapp can take us to the top four regularly like Bobby did I'd consider him a success,.

Fucking hell again. Big Sam's failure doesn't mean he should be sacked NOW. You can never defend Mort and Ashley for this mess---tell me why we should sack him before we find a replacement?

We have fucked this up again and again and again...

Right.

We'd be far better off giving Sam the time and support that he needed. Or at least demonstrate that the club can stick with a manager through a season.

If season tickets are a concern, fire him before the last game of the season-- when you've taken the time to look for a suitable replacement.

Does any one know of a reason why throughout our premiership history why we only appoint english british managers?  With the exception of Gullit who obviously was familiar with the english league.

I just dontunderstand why throughout our entire history we havent looked to appoint a foriegn manager from a different league and perspective. Not saying that that is the way to success, just that there hasnt been an actively effort to look outside the great bristish borders.

My guess is the whole "understanding the geordie culture bollocks" to be honest, i can also see why Ashley and Mort would buy into that if that is what is being peddled about in the media and by footballing people.

Robson wasn't successful?  If Redknapp can take us to the top four regularly like Bobby did I'd consider him a success,.

If you expect there's another Robson coming, end the discussion now. Robson comes in just because he is a Geordie who is willing to save the club from the mess. It is just a miracle and it ain't going to happen again. To compare Robson with Redknapp is an insult tbh.

The point is, top class managers would never join another club during season unless they are fired. Would you expect someone like Wenger will leave at January to join Barca? Of course you can say it's just a dream to get those managers but then if Ashley isn't willing to try it then why pay so much money just to employ a manager that is the same level as BS but with better attacking style football?

There's no reason why Redknapp can achieve more in here than in Portsmouth. He has even more money to spend there.

Does any one know of a reason why throughout our premiership history why we only appoint english british managers?  With the exception of Gullit who obviously was familiar with the english league.

I just dontunderstand why throughout our entire history we havent looked to appoint a foriegn manager from a different league and perspective. Not saying that that is the way to success, just that there hasnt been an actively effort to look outside the great bristish borders.

My guess is the whole "understanding the geordie culture bollocks" to be honest, i can also see why Ashley and Mort would buy into that if that is what is being peddled about in the media and by footballing people.

english or british ?

f****** hell again. Big Sam's failure doesn't mean he should be sacked NOW. You can never defend Mort and Ashley for this mess---tell me why we should sack him before we find a replacement?

We have f***** this up again and again and again...

Right.

We'd be far better off giving Sam the time and support that he needed. Or at least demonstrate that the club can stick with a manager through a season.

If season tickets are a concern, fire him before the last game of the season-- when you've taken the time to look for a suitable replacement.

yeah i would have kept BSA for the season. but if were not gonna appoint harry because of his goals, lets just point at the lack of goals at SJP for too long now. still a good manager. lets not forget they scored 4 against us, 7 against reading and won 10 out of 11 away games or something ridiculous. i dont think goals will be a problem!

British.

robson worked,dalglish was a good appointment at the time,many thought allardyce was also. it's not the nationalities it's ..it's ...it's necessary to lift the curse by putting milburns statue back at St Jame's

Guest smarty2006

I really hope that Ashley has a "Gem" of a manager in his pocket a million miles from Redknapp. Watching Sky "Breaking News" updates and speculative reporting has winded me up no end.

Non have speculated on a bigger name than Redknapp. Love to see their faces when on Monday morning Jose or Lippi is sitting between Ashley and Mort. Pipe dream I know but to stick up these w*nkers would give me as much enjoyment as a Toon victory!

If you expect there's another Robson coming, end the discussion now. Robson comes in just because he is a Geordie who is willing to save the club from the mess. It is just a miracle and it ain't going to happen again. To compare Robson with Redknapp is an insult tbh.

The point is, top class managers would never join another club during season unless they are fired. Would you expect someone like Wenger will leave at January to join Barca? Of course you can say it's just a dream to get those managers but then if Ashley isn't willing to try it then why pay so much money just to employ a manager that is the same level as BS but with better attacking style football?

There's no reason why Redknapp can achieve more in here than in Portsmouth. He has even more money to spend there.

So what you meant to say was that successful managers are never appoined during the season.. appart from when they are but it won't happen this time because it only happens sometimes? :)

Nah I know what you mean, I just disagree with using the word never.

I wouldnt hold my breath, this has got redknapp nailed on im afraid, its strange because this is the first time in many years where i have actually believed we'd be in a position to appoint a top manager. Part of me thinks im being unrealisitc part of me is seeing it as a realistic option.

I just dont understand what could possibly attract Ashley, maybe lookin at the likes of lippi or jose are a tad unrealisitc but the likes of Houllier, Vn Gaal, havent even been mentioned.

I'm excited by the prospect of Redknapp's appointment as manager not because I think he's the best man for the job, but for the fact that I don't think he'd come here unless he was given an open cheque book and told to create his dream team in black and white stripes.

Whether he's capable of fullfilling the task is another matter and will only be answered in the fullness of time but I think exciting times are upon us, and I find it staggering the amount of negativity on here at the moment.

Guest SeattleToon

We will never get back into the Champions League with a English manager...they all suck. Redknapp is no better than Allardyce or McLaren.

It's not just coincidence that the big four all have non-English managers, that no English manager has won the title since Howard Wilkinson with Leeds in 1991-1992, sixteen seasons ago, and that no English manager has won the FA Cup since Joe Royle with Everton in 1995. English managers just aren't as good as their continental counterparts anymore.

Even Spurs has finally figured this out! Why can't we????

I'm excited by the prospect of Redknapp's appointment as manager not because I think he's the best man for the job, but for the fact that I don't think he'd come here unless he was given an open cheque book and told to create his dream team in black and white stripes.

Whether he's capable of fullfilling the task is another matter and will only be answered in the fullness of time but I think exciting times are upon us, and I find it staggering the amount of negativity on here at the moment.

Another reason not to want him

Imagine a top class manager and what he would be able to attract??

Another reason not to want him

Imagine a top class manager and what he would be able to attract??

i wonder why rochdale or mansfield don't appoint a top class manager if it's that easy

Stupid. Why no grey area? Obviously we are somewhere in between.

exactly and would a lippi/mourinho/hitzfeld/top class manager go to an in between ?

Yes if money is available to make us bigger

Chelsea were an in between before Jose

I'd see Redknapp as an upgrade on Allardyce, if only for the way his teams go out for a win.  I watched Pompy up here and enjoyed the way they played, I've never felt that way about an Allardyce team.

Because we convince them they are committed to getting up there too. We're not that far away man.

i've stated numerous times they'd need the transfer kitty to go with it...it would be nice, i'd be "over the moon" but i can well understand ashley being a bit wary over that sort of cash after throwing £250million already at it and the way some on here are going , that ashley has it wrong by not doing it sound like greedy little kids.