Shearer: I have the passion

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

Top Top interview, warranted its own thread

The Sun

NEWCASTLE UNITED run out at home to the strains of ’Local Hero’.

And there is no bigger one at St James’ Park than Alan Shearer.

He has not kicked a ball for them in 21 months but is still held in the same regard as when he donned the famous black and white No 9 shirt.

In a decade he may not have brought the silverware the fans craved. But they came ever so close and while Shearer was banging in the goals — a club-record 206 — the faithful could always dream.

Now many dream of him returning to save the club as a manager.

And the man himself believes he could do the job if asked.

Shearer, 37, said: “It is my club, I scored 206 goals for them and played for them for a decade — I would do anything to help them.

“I might not have managerial experience but I know all about this football club, the fans and the area.”

Yet the club believe his lack of experience counts against him.

This despite the best period in their recent history coming when another man with no managerial experience was at the helm.

Kevin Keegan, like Shearer, had been a hero for the Geordie masses as a player. He even spent eight years playing golf in Spain before returning ‘home’.

Shearer said: “The club have had some unbelievably experienced managers in the past and, for whatever reason, it has not gone well. Just look at Kevin Keegan and the job he did here. Kevin did something special. He is a special person with great charisma.

“He is highly thought of in Newcastle and rightly so because of what he did for the football club.

“Big Sam Allardyce had great experience but, for whatever reason, things did not work out for him.

“Experience does not guarantee you anything, although it does give you a head start.

“It is a very difficult job but also a great job — for me, up there with the England job.”

Shearer has been talked about as a No 2 under an experienced boss like Keegan.

But Shearer said: “I have not spoken to Kevin, nor do I know if he wants the job.

“People have talked about me being a No 2 under an experienced manager

“But if they are after an experienced manager, which they are, he will no doubt have his own man. If he hasn’t, he may not even want me as his No 2. Again, all I would say is that if someone comes in and wants to talk to me I would be willing to help in any way I can.”

Shearer has been upset by reports that his very presence in the North East put undue pressure on Allardyce, who was sacked after only 24 games in charge.

Shearer said: “I was as shocked and surprised as anyone that Sam Allardyce was sacked.

“I have been upset by some reports that I was like a shadow over the manager since I left and that I know everything that happens at the club.

“Let me put this straight once and for all. Since retiring from playing in 2006 I have been to the training ground once — three months after I stopped playing — and I can’t even remember what that was for.

“I’ve never been in the boardroom or in the changing rooms and I have never met or spoken to Mike Ashley. Yes, I still live in the area because I love it here — it’s my home. I also have a box at St James’ Park to watch the games. But I probably only get to do that about once a month because of my work with Match of the Day.

“After the game I get in my car and go straight home. You can ask Sam Allardyce how many times he saw me at St James’ Park and the answer will be ‘none’.

“Glenn Roeder before him will also testify to the fact that I kept myself away from the club — apart from, as I say, watching the odd game.”

Shearer has even gone to the lengths of avoiding a game so nothing could be read into his presence.

He said: “I was going to go to the home game against Arsenal. But there was so much pressure building on Sam I deliberately stayed away.

“I knew if Arsenal scored the cameras would scan to me and I didn’t want that or think it was fair. I always backed Sam, when he was appointed and during his reign. To give him just 24 games is not enough.

“But when you put £280million of your own money into something — like Mike Ashley has — you can make whatever decision you want.

“He did not appoint Sam, which worked against Sam in the end.”

If it is not to be Shearer, who does he want? He added: “I want someone to come in and have a right go — and have the opportunity to put the club where we all want it to be.

“That means challenging in the top six and winning FA Cups. The fans deserve that for their dedication.

“A lot has been made of the way Newcastle play and I know they do like to be entertained. They want to be entertained and get the right result. But even Arsenal sometimes cut their cloth accordingly, like they did at Portsmouth recently, to get a result.”

Shearer has just had a week’s break in Barbados with his wife and friends.

He said: “I went for a quiet holiday and got exactly the opposite. I was only away for seven days and for four of them my phone was going mad.

“I did watch the Newcastle versus Manchester United game there.

“I searched everywhere to find a nice, quiet bar to watch it in.

“Unfortunately, there were six others in there who turned out to be Manchester United fans. I had the mick ripped out of me every five minutes.”

The reaction to him back in Newcastle has been slightly different.

He said: “The fans’ reaction to me has been flattering. I’ve got a tremendous relationship with the fans and always have done.

“It always nice when people say they want you.”

Unfortunately, it would appear the powers-that-be at St James’ don’t.

Guest The Corner

*Sticks fingers in ears* I'm not listening, la-la-la-la-la, f*** off Alan, la-la-la-la-la

No need for the fuck off alan like, insulting

*Sticks fingers in ears* I'm not listening, la-la-la-la-la, f*** off Alan, la-la-la-la-la

No need for the f*** off alan like, insulting

He's pissing me off by playing this game. If he knows he wont get it and he is a fan then he should rule himself out just to stop the twitchy arseholes from heaping the pressure on the next bloke in the event of a bad run of form.

He needs to stop being so egotistical and whoring himself out to The Sun. It'll cause havoc.

He says he's not a shadow over the club, and then declares he wants a job he's not being considered for.......immediately putting pressure on whoever gets the gig.

If he was that bothered about management, he should be managing in the lower leagues like Ince, not fannying about on the tell and playing golf, expecting to walk into our job when it suits him.

Legend he may be, but he's doing himself no favours here.

At least Southgate and Merson will be happy now, for some reason they thought he should have done this months ago, but he is under no obligation to do anything.

He has been on holiday and told us his thoughts on that matter, its not quite a come and get me plea but he say look I am here to listen, also from that article it seems like he will listen to an offer as an assistant aswell.

Why are some people so sure he will fail?

Guest elbee909

At least Southgate and Merson will be happy now, for some reason they thought he should have done this months ago, but he is under no obligation to do anything.

He has been on holiday and told us his thoughts on that matter, its not quite a come and get me plea but he say look I am here to listen, also from that article it seems like he will listen to an offer as an assistant aswell.

Why are some people so sure he will fail?

Why has he been so averse to getting his hands dirty learning the management trade elsewhere rather than farting about on MOTD for the last 2 years or so?

He knows he has influence but rather than build upon that he's relying on it. 

Guest Oz Toon

No need for the f*** off alan like, insulting

He's pissing me off by playing this game. If he knows he wont get it and he is a fan then he should rule himself out just to stop the twitchy arseholes from heaping the pressure on the next bloke in the event of a bad run of form.

He needs to stop being so egotistical and whoring himself out to The Sun. It'll cause havoc.

Yeah well that's your opinion - and not one I agree with.

If Shearer says nothing he is canned by the various wads as leaving a shadow over the club. Others complain he should come out and speak up. Now he has been honest and said I want it and implied he's even consider being no2 blokes you carry on. If the next bloke gets on losing streak then no matter what - the pressure is on, when Shearer was playing it was no different, you don't perform and the crowd turn on you, almost as quickly as you have on one the most faithful servants of our club.

He says he's not a shadow over the club, and then declares he wants a job he's not being considered for.......immediately putting pressure on whoever gets the gig.

If he was that bothered about management, he should be managing in the lower leagues like Ince, not fannying about on the tell and playing golf, expecting to walk into our job when it suits him.

Legend he may be, but he's doing himself no favours here.

Agreed.

God I am so happy my pc blew up when it did, I have missed all of this and its been great, missed all the Sam sacked shite the lot. I may just blow it up again and not fix it until all this is sorted.

Nothing we can do but wait and see what happens, speculating every day will kill you in the end.