Stephen Carr

oldtype

ok, last time I made a thread like this it was titled "Titus Bramble," so take this with a grain, nay, a pound of salt but...

Last season, Carr hardly deserved to be called a footballer. He was overweight, out of shape, slow as f***, and his defensive skills weren't all that hot to begin with.  He was completely useless and a liability to the club.

He seems to be the one man who has seriously benefited from Big Sams new(or is it "old" now?) fitness regime. He's definitely back in shape and seems to have gotten a bit of his pace back. He's been shaky at the back at times but he's become capable of making those bombing runs that he used to do at Tottenham pre-knee injury again.

Now I'm hardly saying that he's suddenly a top-class or even an above-average premiership right back, but I think we just might be able to stop thinking about him as dead weight but rather as decent cover for Beye. Probably another 1~2 years from him at most(when's his contract up) but I think he can be a squad asset to us now.

Yea I have to agree based on last nights performance, nothing amazing but was solid enough and made some good overlaps with milner. Decent cover, not the best defender but decent cover for beye.

don't think we need Chimbonda tbh. Beye is just fine at right back and he's a complete tosser that would probably demand massive wages because he has it in his mind that he's one of the best right backs in Europe (to be fair, he might not be wrong.)

I think Geremi+Taylor+Carr all being able to play in the position will be good enough backup for now, since Beye isn't really the injury-prone type.

He's already 30 though, so should look at getting a promising young right back in the summer.

Guest Ridzuan

I have always supported him even though I know he doesnt play well most of the time.He is not a great player but he is sure reliable.

Guest Ridzuan

I have always supported him even though I know he doesnt play well most of the time.He is not a great player but he is sure reliable.

Are you talking about Carr or Beye here?

Stephen Carr.Beye is just class.

Wouldnt you say if he doesnt play well most of the time he is pretty unreliable?

I used to think all Carr need was motivation. Im not suprised he never lived up to the hype here, despite the injuries he never had any competition, like Babayaro when you know your walking into the team every week you lose desire whether you like it or not.

As per usual Carr has been injured, so hasnt had the chance to compete with Beye, if he stays fit, competition and maybe Keegan motivating him maybe he could learn to live again. But I think its way to late, although his pace the last couple of games has suprised me.

I think Carr has never been much worse than average. I think he's become a hate figure because of his surly demeanor. He's made himself an easy scapegoat for our defensive woes over the years with his fitness/attitude but theres no way he cost us more goals than Boumsong/Bramble.

He's slow and he resorts to pulling players shirts. That said Geremi, Car maybe Edgar too and Taylor can all deputise for Beye at RB so we are not desperate right now but should be on the look out for a young up and coming kid.