Do we really want Shearer ?

Benwell Lad

From SSN:

Alan Shearer is ready to talk to Kevin Keegan about the possibility of becoming his number two at Newcastle.

The Toon legend says he is keen to be involved at St James' Park again.

"If he were to ring me and ask to speak to me, I would certainly speak to him; I'd be foolish not to," he said.

"I was never really a serious possibility [for the manager's job] because they were looking for experience."

However, he added: "I haven't really seen myself as a number two."

Shearer is still keen to manage Newcastle at some stage, but hopes Keegan, who previously bossed United from 1992-97, is successful enough to delay that eventuality for some time to come.

"It remains an ambition to manage it some day - when that will be I don't know," he continued.

"I hope and pray that he [Keegan] does well because I'm a fan at the end of the day.

"The place will be rocking.

"The fans have what they want. They want entertainment, passion and commitment, and they haven't seen it of late.

"They will go forward and score goals and I'm sure they will concede a few.

"I was surprised [by the appointment] but Newcastle have that power in his [Keegan's] heart. He wants to do so well for them.

I don't like the bits in bold...

I want him personally. But only if KK is 100% comfortable with this arrangement.........

Most definitely. Which he will be if it happens. I doubt KK would agree to return if he wasn't going to be making decisions such as this one.

If Shearer doesn't come in, it's not the end of the world and we might even be better of for it.

If he does, and people back it, then it's the icing on the cake.

I want him personally. But only if KK is 100% comfortable with this arrangement.........

Most definitely. Which he will be if it happens. I doubt KK would agree to return if he wasn't going to be making decisions such as this one.

If Shearer doesn't come in, it's not the end of the world and we might even be better of for it.

If he does, and people back it, then it's the icing on the cake.

I personally have doubts about AS as a No.2. His ego is too big and he is too much of a schemer and he never was a team player.

Get proper fcuking job Alan. Prove yourself and come back in 3 years.

....oh stop leaking things to the press via your mates. >:(

Shearer and Keegan are two big personalities that would clash.

My favourite wouold be Coleman, because for me he would has similiar enthusiasum, passion as Keegan and is also direct and honest.

A great pair!  :yikes:

I have an odd theory about Shearer. He will takeover at Southampton soon, when George Burley leaves to become Scotland manager, will take them to the Premiership but leave for Blackburn when Sir Alex Ferguson retires and Mark Hughes takes over Manchester United. Will then leave Blackburn for Newcastle, when the post becomes open, as he'll have experience and be a proven manager by then. Or maybe not...

Guest johnson293

My favourite wouold be Coleman, because for me he would has similiar enthusiasum, passion as Keegan and is also direct and honest.

Only thing about Coleman - would he be prepared to be a No.2 (again?) since having the main job at Fulham and Sociedad? He may still think he's good enough for a main managerial post somewhere.

Only thing about Coleman - would he be prepared to be a No.2 (again?) since having the main job at Fulham and Sociedad? He may still think he's good enough for a main managerial post somewhere.

Man U's number 2, Quieroz (spelling ?) was Real Madrid's manager and went back to be Fergi's assisstant again...Brian Kidd too had to go back and be an assisstant after unsuccessful career in managment.

I have an odd theory about Shearer. He will takeover at Southampton soon, when George Burley leaves to become Scotland manager, will take them to the Premiership but leave for Blackburn when Sir Alex Ferguson retires and Mark Hughes takes over Manchester United. Will then leave Blackburn for Newcastle, when the post becomes open, as he'll have experience and be a proven manager by then. Or maybe not...

Good theory.

He also may have summat to do with FS.

You heard it here first.

Guest zerocipher

Gotta agree with you one this. A giant clash of egos we dont need anymore now that FFS is gone.

Why is he so willing to take this job when it came available but wont be so keen to take any other lower league job? Im sure there would be plenty of teams who'd want him.

I imagine if he doesnt get back into the club in one form or another he'll profess his happiness at doing his media work. "I have a contract to honour etc etc".

I think if Shearer was going to come into the club as manager this would be the best way to do it for him, If he doesnt want to manage a lower league team (though i dont know where that statement has came from, As Alan himself said his dream was to manage one day and not necessarily Newcastle) then having him as Kevin Keegans number two for a couple of years could be the only way in for him at Newcastle.

After Keegans momentum runs out hand over the reigns to Shearer and let him have a stab at the job.

Guest icemanblue

Chris Coleman is being touted as assistant.

TBH that clearly a better appointment than Shearer.

No continuity plan though. Would you want Coleman to take over from Keegan?

The club have made it so that there's nowhere o go if Keegan leaves, so we need to get an assistant in place who can take over.

Get Shearer in!

No, but i want whats best for the club now, not in 3 years or so. KK & AS are too similar, and i pick up vibes that the pair aren't exactly best friends which worries me, i think Shearer could try n be a snide at some point, rock the boat and try to get in there early.

Coleman wouldn't do that, and Coleman has recent EPL experience.

Know Coleman well do you?

You trying to say Coleman would try to undermine KK and unsettle his position so he could get the toon job?  mackems.gif

Jesus Christ.

Not at all.  Just seemed that you were making a few too many assumptions.

The club have made it so that there's nowhere o go if Keegan leaves, so we need to get an assistant in place who can take over.

Get Shearer in!

No, but i want whats best for the club now, not in 3 years or so. KK & AS are too similar, and i pick up vibes that the pair aren't exactly best friends which worries me, i think Shearer could try n be a snide at some point, rock the boat and try to get in there early.

You trying to say Coleman would try to undermine KK and unsettle his position so he could get the toon job?  mackems.gif

Jesus Christ.

So you agree with my 'assumption' yet pulled me on it anyway?

Arguing for arguing sake tbh.  :rolleyes:

Guest icemanblue

Get Shearer in!

Jesus Christ.

Never said I agreed. Didn't want an argument either.

You're fun though.

Get Shearer in!

Jesus Christ.

Never said I agreed. Didn't want an argument either.

You're fun though.

Then why quote me? Or is this another one of the great attempts to wind me up?  mackems.gif

:lol:

Lets hope he gets unvieled on friday afternoon alongside keegan.

I have it on good authority, from one of the blokes who was in shot on TV last night as Keegan, Ashley and Mort entered the directors box, that that is EXACTLY what is going to happen.

Why is he so willing to take this job when it came available but wont be so keen to take any other lower league job? Im sure there would be plenty of teams who'd want him.

I imagine if he doesnt get back into the club in one form or another he'll profess his happiness at doing his media work. "I have a contract to honour etc etc".

Because he loves the club enough to want to be involved? I love the fact that he only wants to be involved with us. Reminds me of when he turned Man United down.