Jermain Defoe & Shaun Wright-Phillips

Guest microbar

Guest microbar

Todays Sun By Shaun Custis

JERMAIN DEFOE and Shaun Wright- Phillips were last night queueing up to join Kevin Keegan’s Newcastle revolution.

Tottenham striker Defoe and Chelsea wideman SWP would relish the free- flowing, attacking football that has become a trademark of Keegan’s teams.

New Toon boss Keegan, who has £20million to spend, told players to expect changes.

He said: “If new players are coming in and you are worried about that then you should not be here. You should want good players at this football club.”

Keegan dropped the bombshell to his Toon squad at training yesterday.

A Newcastle insider said: “It wasn’t like a big speech by the manager or anything but it sounded like he would be making a few changes.

“With only a couple of weeks left in the transfer window, he has not really got time to assess what is already there. He has to make some quick decisions.”

Defoe, 25, and Wright-Phillips, 26, are the sort of players Keegan admires although their wage demands and asking prices may be barriers.

But Keegan has been promised the freedom to go for the players he wants most.

Defoe is struggling to establish himself under new Spurs boss Juande Ramos, while Wright-Phillips may relish the chance of guaranteed first-team football.

Jermain Defoe is bordering on unrealistic? There are three better striker than him at the club already.

i just cannot figure this one out - who is the third?

owen and martins... and then?

but i also agree with adam - we don't need another striker of this stature, so only if owen or martins is sold.

Defoe is struggling to establish himself under new Spurs boss Juande Ramos,

Yeah, there's a reason.  Up and comers and not has-beens or never waseses please.

while Wright-Phillips may relish the chance of guaranteed first-team football.

That would be more like it, think the lad's still got some potential to realise.

Guest johnson293

£20m would just about get SWP.

Thats one of my 'worries' about this 'blank cheque' thats being reported, however accurate.

While its great having a Billionaire owner, I'd hate to think we were suddenly gonna get taken to the cleaners for players, just because we have (allegedly) a load of money to spend - also hope we dont end up with players coming for the money anymore.

Lets hope Keegan can sell the club to players like he used to ,and we dont simply try and turn into another chelsea.... spunking money on fees and wages, just because we can.

But, I would welcome SWP here - and if its true that Ian Wright (jokingly) commented even he would join Keegan as No.2, then he may also have influence in any decision the lad might make. Suppose its just whetehr Chelsea would be prepared to let him go at all?

Jermain Defoe is bordering on unrealistic? There are three better striker than him at the club already.

Viduka. He will need to be replaced soon but currently i would rather have him in the team than Defoe.

Viduka. He will need to be replaced soon but currently i would rather have him in the team than Defoe.

What did Viduka do, since his arrival... Yeah I know about his ability to hold the ball up, but it's very ineffective. I am disappointed with him so far...

If it bears any factor on the SWP story, his dad Ian Wright was on Talksport a few months ago talking about teams he wished he'd played for.

He said his biggest regret was never playing for "Newcastle United", and said that the passion of the fans and how much it means to everyone here were the reasons.

mouthwatering... :-)

Both players yes, imo Defoe is not at better player than Owen, but Owen is always injured and when he's not injured, he's playing like s****. SWP would be a great sign as well, but I fear Chelsea would demand much more than he's worth.

Dont fear lads Believe

HAHAHAHA