Newcastle are not a big club... then why the obsession?

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

The media and rival fans want to make their minds up. If we are this small club with big ideas or not one of the big boys, why the fuck for the past few weeks has the spotlight been on us from all quarters, often daily? When Jol was sacked and replaced by Ramos there was none of this. When Houllier was sacked and replaced by Rafa - likewise. Hell there was none of this when Liverpool got took over. There was none of this when Mourinho got the boot either and there certainly was none of this when England brought in Cappello.

Now I don't consider us a big club like say Liverpool or Man Utd, or even Arsenal. But we are big news and I think I know why. Henry Winter best summed it up. We are probably the last true to ourselves type of club and fans left and everyone not part of it can't help but feel not only intrigued but envious. Man Utd fans crave the day they overtake Liverpool in the league title record books, Arsenal fans crave the European Cup, Liverpool fans crave a league title. We don't crave a trophy or anything like that, we just crave our football club full stop. Our relationship with our club isn't based on trophies, or rivalry, but football and our passion for it. Our club and everything about it.

People also say we bring this attention on ourselves, but do we? Most NUFC fans I know couldn't care less about anything outside of NUFC and compared to some rival fans, aren't knowledgeable about the worldwide game at all, so we don't exactly whore ourselves around do we like say Man Utd fans with their admittedly very good fan media campaigns, or Liverpool fans with their 24-7 takeover of phone ins and whatnot. In general we keep ourselves to ourselves and you rarely find anyone connected to NUFC having a word or two about other clubs. Yet every Tom Dick and Harry has had their say on NUFC, from rival fans to the media in general, from managers to players all the way to random TV presenters. I know the club creates a lot of headlines, but more so than others? I'm not so sure. Spurs have hired and fired more managers in the last decade for example.

Why their obsession?

Btw we'd have been there for Shearer and Owen's signing with or without SSN, we don't ask them to turn up.

@HTT

If the club had brought in anyone other than Keegan, this would've quieted down pretty quickly.

There were weeks of media speculation about Spurs prior to Jol's sacking and it all stopped when he was replaced. Same would've been true with Newcastle had the club brought in, say, Deschamps.

But it's Keegan. It is different. I don't think that any story would play as big as Keegan returning to Newcastle United.

Keegan to Fulham? No story.

Deschamps to NUFC? No story.

Keegan to NUFC. BIG STORY.

Guest Knightrider

Oh of course KK's return has hightened things but I'm talking about in general, we sack Sam and it goes on for weeks, every man and his dog is lined up for the job, everyone is talking about it. We lose a game and the media highlight it. We lost 6-0 to Man Utd and when Arsenal lost 6-1 to Man Utd nothing was said of it, great Man Utd, Arsenal not at the races. Next day, different news day. We get beat and it's shocking Newcastle, crisis club, how low can things get, tttt. Poor Man Utd, it's as if they didn't win 6-0, we lost 6-0.

@HTT

If the club had brought in anyone other than Keegan, this would've quieted down pretty quickly.

There were weeks of media speculation about Spurs prior to Jol's sacking and it all stopped when he was replaced. Same would've been true with Newcastle had the club brought in, say, Deschamps.

But it's Keegan. It is different. I don't think that any story would play as big as Keegan returning to Newcastle United.

Keegan to Fulham? No story.

Deschamps to NUFC? No story.

Keegan to NUFC. BIG STORY.

Tbh it goes beyond the past couple of days, when we signed Owen there was media hype but when Manu signed Rooney it was barely mentioned.

The media and rival fans want to make their minds up. If we are this small club with big ideas or not one of the big boys, why the f*** for the past few weeks has the spotlight been on us from all quarters, often daily? When Jol was sacked and replaced by Ramos there was none of this. When Houllier was sacked and replaced by Rafa - likewise. Hell there was none of this when Liverpool got took over. There was none of this when Mourinho got the boot either and there certainly was none of this when England brought in Cappello.

Now I don't consider us a big club like say Liverpool or Man Utd, or even Arsenal. But we are big news and I think I know why. Henry Winter best summed it up. We are probably the last true to ourselves type of club and fans left and everyone not part of it can't help but feel not only intrigued but envious. Man Utd fans crave the day they overtake Liverpool in the league title record books, Arsenal fans crave the European Cup, Liverpool fans crave a league title. We don't crave a trophy or anything like that, we just crave our football club full stop. Our relationship with our club isn't based on trophies, or rivalry, but football and our passion for it. Our club and everything about it.

People also say we bring this attention on ourselves, but do we? Most NUFC fans I know couldn't care less about anything outside of NUFC and compared to some rival fans, aren't knowledgeable about the worldwide game at all, so we don't exactly whore ourselves around do we like say Man Utd fans with their admittedly very good fan media campaigns, or Liverpool fans with their 24-7 takeover of phone ins and whatnot. In general we keep ourselves to ourselves and you rarely find anyone connected to NUFC having a word or two about other clubs. Yet every Tom Dick and Harry has had their say on NUFC, from rival fans to the media in general, from managers to players all the way to random TV presenters. I know the club creates a lot of headlines, but more so than others? I'm not so sure. Spurs have hired and fired more managers in the last decade for example.

Why their obsession?

Btw we'd have been there for Shearer and Owen's signing with or without SSN, we don't ask them to turn up.

Round of applause, and echoes my sentiments exactly. I have made this point to "friends" who seem to like to have their opinion on us despite the fact they clearly know nothing!

If we are not a "big club" then what does that mean? Look at the coverage we get, look at the gates we get, our stadium, worldwide acknowledgement and jealousy (not for success) from all quarters. We are a big club and for some reason, a lot of people don't like it.

What happened to us being everyones second favourite team anyway?!

Guest Knightrider

Fuck it, we are a big club and why should we constantly downplay ourselves. Of course we can't shout about trophies but they don't even matter much if at all, no genuine fan I know expects one any time soon, even with KK back, we are quite pessimistic in that sense and morbid even as a lot reckon death will hit them first. Me being one of them :D

I've never read or heard so much shite about wor club these past few months by non NUFC fans and I'm now of the opinion they can all fuck off and what they think or want to think matters not. I don't care what they think, they are irrellavent to me, wor club and us as fans.

Everyone knows we are not successful club if you judge us on recent trophy wins. I understand that certain newspapers have Newcastle front page covers for their North East copy, but overall in the written press it is only Princess Di who gets more column inches. WE ARE A BIG CLUB. When Chelsea & Spurs changed managers there was nothing like the media attention & Chelsea were dumping Jose ffs!!! A lot of bookmakers made took more money on Newcastle next manager than live Premier League games, which is unheard of if that Dale bloke of Skybet is to believed. If SSN coverage, presenters sent to cover this story & repeat showings of a new manager are anything to go by this gig is bigger than the England one.

Guest taff2727

The media and rival fans want to make their minds up. If we are this small club with big ideas or not one of the big boys, why the f*** for the past few weeks has the spotlight been on us from all quarters, often daily? When Jol was sacked and replaced by Ramos there was none of this. When Houllier was sacked and replaced by Rafa - likewise. Hell there was none of this when Liverpool got took over. There was none of this when Mourinho got the boot either and there certainly was none of this when England brought in Cappello.

Why their obsession?

cracking post,i think you speak for all true geordies there. O0

Thats the best post I think you've put out, and I think most of your posts have been very good since i've been looking on this forum... I dont have a lot to say, but i appreciate people like yourselves posting stuff like this because  it puts in to words what normal besotted folk like myself are thinking, and for me i'm only interested and have ever only been interested in newcastle, nowt else matters apart from sunlun doing badly. I'm not overlly bothered about a cup, of course i would like us to win one, but on the whole I just want to see us playing breathless, exciting football ... I am hooked on this club and want to know everything thats going on, and therefore to me its a Massive club and a massive part of my life and anyone, like kevin keegan says, out of the area will never understand and that makes it even better....EVEN BETTER.... because it's their loss.

We are blessed with this club and long may it continue.

The frankly ridiculous coverage on SSN for the last week is probably something to do with the two main guys at Sky Sports  being Newcastle fans

If that's what an outsider thinks so be it but your in gaga land because check out all the written media as well.  There is only maybe Man  Utd media wise that may knock us off a front/back page or the TV screens. Check out the yank offering the German the Spaniards job 5 pages inside.

To be honest I do like reading & watching all this stuff about Newcastle United even the bad but I would swap it all for the times you had with one of our local lads in charge Howard Kendall (first time around obviously).

The frankly ridiculous coverage on SSN for the last week is probably something to do with the two main guys at Sky Sports  being Newcastle fans.

What utter bollocks!

What has amazed me is the media coverage (that includes newpapers and channels other than Sky). I didn't realise that I was so important, being a Toon foot-soldier and all.

The frankly ridiculous coverage on SSN for the last week is probably something to do with the two main guys at Sky Sports  being Newcastle fans.

What utter bollocks!

What has amazed me is the media coverage (that includes newpapers and channels other than Sky). I didn't realise that I was so important, being a Toon foot-soldier and all.

Fraser chill the f*** out man!!!! 1878s team are not even the biggest news story in Liverpool, never mind  England. But I am sure once they are playing in Tesco's car  park in Kirby they will dominate the Hoylake and West Kirby News :thup:

I am NOT patronising BUT some of the younger members here don't really seem to appreciate what is about to happen. It will happen.

Guest Dr. Richard Kimble

When Boston red Sox went 86 years without the Championship and proclaimed 'The Red Sox Nation' they good mostly good humour and decent support from the rest of the country.

That goes to show the difference in mentality between the two countries - just look athe 606 board ....we've got sneering schoolgirls for company.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/8572/redsoxfanpg0.jpg

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/forumdisplay.php?f=86

8+ Keegan threads on the fron page alone.

Shitting themsleves

Shame they havent got threads about Keane his knock backs. Baines I am from Liverpool &  a Everton fan & most of all wor lass can buy Jimmy Choo shoes in Liverpool. Dave Nugent the bench at Pompey is better than first team football at SOL you daft prick.  Robbie Savage I would rather join a team that could end up with less points than the worst team in history of the Premiership. Matty Taylor give me long ball & boring as fuck Megson instead of you Dog Wanking cunt. And the most damming of all is yet to come Steve Siddwell!!!! To be turned down by a ginger how fucking low.

What utter bollocks!

Fraser chill the f*** out man!!!! 1878s team are not even the biggest news story in Liverpool, never mind  England. But I am sure once they are playing in Tesco's car  park in Kirby they will dominate the Hoylake and West Kirby News :thup:

But will they be in 'Hollyoaks', which is most important?

Or willl they stay in that strange blue garage?

Shitting themsleves

Shame they havent got threads about Keane his knock backs. Baines I am from Liverpool &  a Everton fan & most of all wor lass can buy Jimmy Choo shoes in Liverpool. Dave Nugent the bench at Pompey is better than first team football at SOL you daft prick.  Robbie Savage I would rather join a team that could end up with less points than the worst team in history of the Premiership. Matty Taylor give me long ball & boring as f*** Megson instead of you Dog Wanking c***. And the most damming of all is yet to come Steve Siddwell!!!! To be turned down by a ginger how f****** low.

My memory may be playing tricks on me but did we not try to sign him in the summer?

Some useless twat on Talksport (Mike Parry that's you) defeated his own argument about us not being a big club by slagging off the 20,000 fans who turned up for Owen's presentation to the media. He then compounded it by not recognising the shite he was spouting out.

Successful we not be; Big we surely must be.

The rest of the country wants us to fail it seems as after the last time we got too big for our boots. Yeah right Fuck Off. Truth is most people like Keegan & would love us to play similar football to the last time.

Shitting themsleves

Shame they havent got threads about Keane his nock backs. Baines I am from Liverpool &  a Everton fan & most of all wor lass can buy Jimmy Choo shoes in Liverpool. Dave Nugent the bench at Pompey is better than first team football at SOL you daft prick.  Robbie Savage I would rather join a team that could end up with less points than the worst team in history of the Premiership. Matty Taylor give me long ball & boring as f*** Megson instead of you Dog Wanking c***. And the most damming of all is yet to come Steve Siddwell!!!! To be turned down by a ginger how f****** low.

My memory may be playing tricks on me but did we not try to sign him in the summer?

Roeder was meant to have had the deal sorted but once he left the deal ended. Not sure if that is equals getting turned down by a ginger or it mutually ending it.