Owen or Martins, why?

Kev
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Martins when high on confidence is the easy winner for me as he looks a fantastic striker on top form. Its all about him getting the confidence first though.

If you're as incosistent as Martins is that argument doesn't really work though, does it?

Guest Julio Geordio

Easy choice - owen

martins doesn't know how to play football

Didn't half score a few goals last season, in the best league in the world, for someone who doesn't know how to play football.

Jesus wept.

Joint 12th highest goalscorer in the PL wasn't he? Or something like that. Pretty average, but not bad for a first season either.

He can score goals but he isn't a footballer. He can be canny frustrating at times, but I'd still rather have that flair and spark that Oba has. Unfortunately Owen has lost any of this after multiple injuries.

Martins, offers far more to the team then Owen does, top prem strikers nowadays cant just get away with just being goalscrorers. Martins will scare defenders with his pace and style, alot more than Owen will nowadays.

Martins, offers far more to the team then Owen does, top prem strikers nowadays cant just get away with just being goalscrorers. Martins will scare defenders with his pace and style, alot more than Owen will nowadays.

When does martins use his pace?

Easy choice - owen

martins doesn't know how to play football

Didn't half score a few goals last season, in the best league in the world, for someone who doesn't know how to play football.

Jesus wept.

Joint 12th highest goalscorer in the PL wasn't he? Or something like that. Pretty average, but not bad for a first season either.

He can score goals but he isn't a footballer. He can be canny frustrating at times, but I'd still rather have that flair and spark that Oba has. Unfortunately Owen has lost any of this after multiple injuries.

If you look at the stats, their scoring (since coming here) is pretty similar. Obvioulsy Owen's injury problems are a massive downside. I'd say they're both the same in that they don't do much other than score. Owen would contribute a bit more though. Essentially they both have different assets but for different reasons I don't think either are good enough.

Sorry but that's just not true. How does Martins offer far more? Neither the stats nor watching both play back that up. They both offer about the same - i.e. about 10-15 league goals a season.

The difference between an average and a good striker isn't the goals they score, it's the number of chances they miss.

In a must win game in the 90th minute who would you rather have in a one-on-one with the keeper?  It's not that difficult to answer.

The difference between an average and a good striker isn't the goals they score, it's the number of chances they miss.

In a must win game in the 90th minute who would you rather have in a one-on-one with the keeper?  It's not that difficult to answer.

To be fair though, Owen doesn't create goals out of nothing in the way he used to. So it's not that simple for me - you can't just say Owen would have scored that when in fact he might not have even got on the end of a chance. People used tg say the same about Shearer when Bellamy would miss a one-on-one and in truth Shearer probably wouldn't have had the legs to get the chance in the first place more often than not.

Sorry but that's just not true. How does Martins offer far more? Neither the stats nor watching both play back that up. They both offer about the same - i.e. about 10-15 league goals a season.

Martins is constantly looking for the ball, his natural game mean he goes after the ball and battles for it, they say defences starts from the front and he is constantly putting players under pressure, not only that but he also gets the ball in deep and runs, his major problem is that he isnt inteligent with possession adn is very slow to release the balla t right times. Which leads him to lose the ball at times (which he goes back to get again) or play the wrong ball.

Owens on the other hand is invisible when we dont have the ball in attacking areas, he rarely battles for hte ball and doesnt come deep for the bal (righlty) becasue that isnt his game, he is primarily a finisher and that is it, his link up play is ok, but again that isnt really part of his game.

For me, Owen has only one strength to his game which is finishing, Martins has alot more, but none of them are refined. The fact that despite this he's still good for 10-15 goals puts him ahead for me.

To be fair though, Owen doesn't create goals out of nothing in the way he used to. So it's not that simple for me - you can't just say Owen would have scored that when in fact he might not have even got on the end of a chance. People used tg say the same about Shearer when Bellamy would miss a one-on-one and in truth Shearer probably wouldn't have had the legs to get the chance in the first place more often than not.

Fair point but that's because we are being asked to compare apples with oranges.  It's impossible to say who is best unless you lay down some other criteria which is all I did.

If you're going to play a passing game and create plenty of chances in the area like Arsenal do or we did previously under KK then Owen is better suited.  If you're playing more conservative football and need strikers who can maybe create something out of nothing then Martins is your man.

And as it happens I voted "neither"  ;D

Martins is constantly looking for the ball, his natural game mean he goes after the ball and battles for it, they say defences starts from the front and he is constantly putting players under pressure, not only that but he also gets the ball in deep and runs, his major problem is that he isnt inteligent with possession adn is very slow to release the balla t right times. Which leads him to lose the ball at times (which he goes back to get again) or play the wrong ball.

Owens on the other hand is invisible when we dont have the ball in attacking areas, he rarely battles for hte ball and doesnt come deep for the bal (righlty) becasue that isnt his game, he is primarily a finisher and that is it, his link up play is ok, but again that isnt really part of his game.

For me, Owen has only one strength to his game which is finishing, Martins has alot more, but none of them are refined. The fact that despite this he's still good for 10-15 goals puts him ahead for me.

Martins doesn't graft a lot for me. This defending from the front thing isn't something he does. It seems to be a myth which people put around though.

Martins doesn't graft a lot for me. This defending from the front thing isn't something he does. It seems to be a myth which people put around though.

Agree to disagree then, i see him closing down all the time, always looking for the ball. Am sure other people see the same.

Can't believe you're saying that. I really can't.

well, he's not closing down all the time, but he's certainly doing it more than our other strikers.

Smith does it a lot more and is much better at it when he plays upfront, without a doubt. And no, I'm not saying Smith is better either.

As much of a myth that Owen is such a great finisher tbh

TBF they are both excellent players that have been cursed by either poor management or injuries.

Owen on the one hand is a predator, who at his best is one of the greatest finishers on the planet. However, anywhere near his best hasn't been seen by us in a long time.

Martins on the other hand is a younger hit and miss striker. When confident he can be as lethal as most in this league. However, alot of his confidence and form has been shot to shit by terrible mis-management.

Right now i would choose Martins for two reasons. One i don't think we have seen anywhere near what he is capable of and two he's on his way up in his career, where as Owen isn't.