KK - Shearer won't be my assistant

Dokko

Agree with above. Where as i would LOVE us to sign someone with a bit of spark in midfield, it's not essential until the summer. If anything it might be more benificial for Keegan to try and get the best out of what he's got so that he can have a real look at the problem areas and players he has.

Our new managers priority was always going to have to be about what they get out of the exsiting squad.

It's essential to maybe push on from here and try and get a uefa spot.

If new signings would give us a chance of that then waiting until the summer would be daft as we can attract better players if were in europe.

If not we best hope the intertoto route is open for us

UEFA is way, way beyond us. Allardyce saw to that.

Shearer just on about it now on BBC1. Says Keegan is keen to get him on the training ground. If he doesn't want a role there Keegan wants him at the club even if it's just using the facilities as a gym etc. :laugh:

Guest The Libertine

"Keegan has also revealed that Alan Shearer is to make a decision regarding a future role at Newcastle on Monday.

Shearer return

The Newcastle boss has held talks with Shearer, who was thought to be in the running for the Tyneside hot seat prior to the appointment of Keegan earlier this month, regarding a place in his backroom staff.

And Keegan has now confessed that he is waiting to hear from Newcastle legend Shearer at the beginning of next week.

"There is a role for Alan Shearer at Newcastle," Keegan added.

"He is going to come back to me on Monday. I don't want to pressure him. But knowing Alan Shearer, he is going to pick a role that is worthwhile."

from sky sports

Still a few issues wuth this for me.

Firstly, is Keegan now still actively looking for an assistant or was that role to have been solely created for Shearer?

Secondly, if the role does exist for someone else who should that be?

Thirdly, how will that other feel with the shadow of Shearer looming large as he works-out in the gym or whatever it is he's going to do?

Fourthly, I increasingly feel that Newcastle United seems to exist to make Shearer happy and that will stop the club from moving forward (difficult enough when you've gone back ten years for your new manager).