The all new official Albert Luque megathread

Guest Harry-Norway

Guest Footsoldier

The chronicle doesn't pick the team, though, does it?

Everybody wants Luque to be a brilliant player but he has to do something about it himself and show that he can play at a premier league level. Not saying it's better or worse than la liga but he hasn't shown much to think he can cut it here or make Roeder sit up and notice him in training.

But Luque is not a quality player for us. IMO, he's the latest in a long line of foreign players we've bought that may have looked good in their own countries but are unable to adapt to the premier league.....viana, marcelhino, bassedas there's about 20 mill down the toilet....and I've not seen anything to suggest that Luque is much different.

Footsoldier, honest question. Since you dont think how a player perform in a foreign league should be used as a yardstick of his talent, do you reckon that our scouts should stop looking overbroad then as all they ever get to see is their performances in foreign leagues? Our scouts' decisions and recommendsations are based on exactly what you deem to be of no value.

I think we should cut our losses on Luque.

The guy has no pace which makes it hard for him to play on the wing. He is as fragile as anything, I mean he's played 1 game this season and already he's injured. I'll admit his goal against Lillestrom was good but throughout the game he jogged around, didn't ever pressure the Lillestrom defenders and never looked like getting in behind them.

I mean I've seen people using his goal against Sunderland as an arguement for him but if people remember the ball bounced over the Sunderland playters head to get him, it's not like he made a deceptive run or anything. Also while the finish was well taken he never really accelerated away from the defender, in fact the defender had caught him up again by the time he struck the ball.

I just don't think he doesn't have any really great qualitities, he's not got any pace, he's not paticularly good in the air, he doesn't have a high workrate and when he runs at people he doesn't make you think "Wow, he could dribble it past 3 defenders here".

I will give him that he is a good finisher, I just don't believe he has the neccesary skills to create enougfh chances for himself.

If I didn't know anything about Luque before he came here, I'd be inclined to agree with you. In truth he's done nothing for us so far, and hasn't shown much either.

But as a follower of Spanish football I've seen enough of him to know that we have a top player on our hands. He was used mostly on the wing in his final season at Depor, largely because of his pace. Yes, believe it or not 12 months ago Luque was pretty quick. Go and watch some highlights of his performance against us in the Riazor, a few weeks before we bought him. I know people are going to say Carr is slow, but he just couldn't handle Luque's pace down our right flank and was lucky not to get sent off after a yellow card and a series of fouls. Or watch his performance against Man Utd on his debut, where he was quick down our left flank and looked like he could make that position his own. He's looked slow ever since, almost certainly because of his injury in only his second game, which was the worst of his career. Roeder described it as 'a horrible hamstring injury' and it put him out for 3 months. The big question is, has he lost a yard of pace permanently or will he get it back with fitness and games? It's difficult to say, he hasn't had a run in the side since he came here.

Believe it or not the Deportivo fans are still talking about him on their forum, and mention that they miss the pace that he offered them. If you don't believe me I can point you to it.

You mention he's fragile, but he's never had injury problems in his career. He's played over 30 games a season throughout his career. In 3 seasons at Deportivo he only missed 14 games, thats about 5 games a season. In his last season at Depor he played 37 out of 38 games and was the club's top scorer from the left wing with 11 goals. He also had a tendancy to score against the bigger teams, including goals against Villarreal, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Milan (home and away). The player we signed only 12 months ago was a regular in the Spain squad, competing with Vicente for the left-wing spot and attracted the interest of Real, Barcelona and Liverpool. He was pivotal in Deportivo's Champions League semi-final run two years ago, scoring 5 goals.

You don't play that well throughout your career and then suddenly turn shit at the age of 28. Are you ready to lose £5m on a player who has only started half a dozen games for us? Personally I think his pedigree suggests we should have a good look at him before we get rid.

A player can become that shit at age 28 if they're here for the pay off, here with a poor attitude. Honestly, what you're saying here makes me believe even more that we have a player with a serious problem of attitude. Only he can fix that.

Who really gives a toss what he did in Spain? It's what he does for us that counts and that isn't much so far.

He's started a few games. He played a few hundred minutes of football last season.

Sell him now and he'll go on to be a success with someone else, I'm confident of that. Selling is a gamble as is buying, if we sell a quality player and bring in a crap replacement then we're weaker, so of course you have to consider his pedigree. Would you sell Owen for a few million based on what he's done for us so far?

Such as getting rid of our most productive midfield player and bringing in Luque??

Quality post Ohmelads and coming from someone who actually watches games live from La Liga not via a telly, but live, I trust your judgement 100%.

Now that is a player I want to see in our team.

Fingers crossed.

To be fair I started watching games there after we bought Luque, so I only ever saw him on TV for Deportivo. I always thought he was overrated but still a quality player and I was surprised to see us get him as I thought he'd end up at a bigger club. He's still rated highly over there but a little forgotten about as he lost his place in the Spain squad (not surprising considering he didn't play for us almost all season).

Nowt personal, but you don't really know much more than anybody else about Luque's form in Spain then? You just know of his reputation?

Alternatively his price could drop the longer he stays here (plus we're still paying his wages) a la Viana.

True, but just as likely he could come good if given a chance, no?

I believe (just my opinion mind) that if he gets a good run in the team he'll start repaying some of that fee back.

Maybe but I think there's less chance of him coming good. Just my opinion like. Hope I'm wrong or we at least get some decent cash for him. From what I've seen of him though, I'm not even sure where he should play exactly, seems like a luxury player without enough end product.

I think the chances of him succeeding are slim as well, sadly. I can't see a place for him in the team at the moment for him to get that run of games to prove himself or otherwise.

As much as I want to see him succeed and for us to get some value for our money out of him, I concede we would probably be better off cutting our losses because the only way he's going to show he's a 9.5m player is by starting every game in his natural position (whatever that is ;)) and unless we fail to bring in the strikers we badly need or a major injury happens to N'Zogbia or Duff, I can't see that happening.

The criticism from some fans and the local media is way OTT however in my opinion and the whole feeling towards Luque since he arrived from some leaves a sour taste in the mouth that makes me wonder why we even try to sign foreign players because at the first sign of trouble they become "heartless, money grabbing bastards".

I'm also of the opinion that should we peddle Luque for a big loss, that will send out a negative message to prospective foreign transfer targets not to come to Newcastle unless they have a Geordie nana or something.

Ah, well...

It could be worse, we could have had Shearer, Given and Rob Lee asking for transfers in their prime because they saw the club going nowhere except downwards. Still, we could have replaced them with kevin Kyle, Richard Wright and that lad Jamie McGlen is coming through from the youth teams, then pocket the change.

Why is it a Geordie nana ? Will she be knitting her Geordie scarves for everyone in the trophy stadium ?  :lol:

Anyone but Shepherd eh.

Quality post Ohmelads and coming from someone who actually watches games live from La Liga not via a telly, but live, I trust your judgement 100%.

Now that is a player I want to see in our team.

Fingers crossed.

To be fair I started watching games there after we bought Luque, so I only ever saw him on TV for Deportivo. I always thought he was overrated but still a quality player and I was surprised to see us get him as I thought he'd end up at a bigger club. He's still rated highly over there but a little forgotten about as he lost his place in the Spain squad (not surprising considering he didn't play for us almost all season).

Nowt personal, but you don't really know much more than anybody else about Luque's form in Spain then? You just know of his reputation?

Never claimed to mate, hence why I stuck to the facts.

You say you'd sell him for £4.5m, but what sort of replacement striker do you have in mind for that kind of money? Bearing in mind that strikers are going for very inflated prices at the moment.

Of course players can lose it at around 28. Look at Robbie Fowler as a prime example. I still think he's just not suited to our game and will go back home to have a good career in La Liga again.

Fair enough, but Fowler gradually declined. Luque enjoyed probably his best season at 27 just before he joined us. Why would he lose it within a few months at that age?

Of course players can lose it at around 28. Look at Robbie Fowler as a prime example. I still think he's just not suited to our game and will go back home to have a good career in La Liga again.

Exactly what I think, bit like Boumsong really.

But Luque is not a quality player for us. IMO, he's the latest in a long line of foreign players we've bought that may have looked good in their own countries but are unable to adapt to the premier league.....viana, marcelhino, bassedas there's about 20 mill down the toilet....and I've not seen anything to suggest that Luque is much different.

We might as well stop buying English players. Owen, Butt, Bramble, Ramage, Chopra bla bla bla, to name a few of those English players who have failed in Newcastle United.

No foregin players, no English players. Someone setup an academy in Pluto or Mars please ;)

We might as well stop buying English players. Owen, Butt, Bramble, Ramage, Chopra bla bla bla, to name a few of those English players who have failed in Newcastle United.

No foregin players, no English players. Someone setup an academy in Pluto or Mars please ;)

Good point. We have had just as many maybe more english flops, yet we keep on buying them at a steeper price.

Why not buy one striker and give Luque his chance. So far this season he has had one performance and 1 goal. That's a 100% record as far as i'm concerned.

The situations not complicated, the guy had a poor season because of a horrific injury. Not because he's saddam hussiens evil twin and wants to stay on the bench and earn his 40k a week.

I think his wages is higher than 40k.

If he is indeed only earning a paltry 40k, those who call him money sucking greedy bastard should shoot themselve.

When he arrived everyone said he was coming here to earn 60/70k a week. Then reports came out saying that he was on pretty poor wages in spain and 40k was the deal he was getting here. It may have been one of the reasons we opted for him.

Although, i don't know the facts on how much he's getting paid.He said he wasn't coming here for the money and the fans inpressed him when we played depor in the inter toto last year. Some fucking mercinary,eh?

Well I don't condider someone with a career tally of 1 goal in just under 5 games an out and out striker. I think it was 1 in 3.7 or summat when he was at Depor in the league. But I haven't checked.

The top 20 strikers in Europe like Owen all have career averages of 1in 2 or thereabouts.

Simple indicators really. Not rocket science.

Guest Howaythetoon

Alternatively his price could drop the longer he stays here (plus we're still paying his wages) a la Viana.

I believe (just my opinion mind) that if he gets a good run in the team he'll start repaying some of that fee back.

Maybe but I think there's less chance of him coming good. Just my opinion like. Hope I'm wrong or we at least get some decent cash for him. From what I've seen of him though, I'm not even sure where he should play exactly, seems like a luxury player without enough end product.

I think the chances of him succeeding are slim as well, sadly. I can't see a place for him in the team at the moment for him to get that run of games to prove himself or otherwise.

As much as I want to see him succeed and for us to get some value for our money out of him, I concede we would probably be better off cutting our losses because the only way he's going to show he's a 9.5m player is by starting every game in his natural position (whatever that is ;)) and unless we fail to bring in the strikers we badly need or a major injury happens to N'Zogbia or Duff, I can't see that happening.

The criticism from some fans and the local media is way OTT however in my opinion and the whole feeling towards Luque since he arrived from some leaves a sour taste in the mouth that makes me wonder why we even try to sign foreign players because at the first sign of trouble they become "heartless, money grabbing bastards".

I'm also of the opinion that should we peddle Luque for a big loss, that will send out a negative message to prospective foreign transfer targets not to come to Newcastle unless they have a Geordie nana or something.

Ah, well...

It could be worse, we could have had Shearer, Given and Rob Lee asking for transfers in their prime because they saw the club going nowhere except downwards. Still, we could have replaced them with kevin Kyle, Richard Wright and that lad Jamie McGlen is coming through from the youth teams, then pocket the change.

Why is it a Geordie nana ? Will she be knitting her Geordie scarves for everyone in the trophy stadium ?  :lol:

Anyone but Shepherd eh.

Thought you weren't coming back? Place is full of kids, tossers and foreigners?  :lol:

Guest TheOrder

Ah, well...

Anyone but Shepherd eh.

Thought you weren't coming back? Place is full of kids, tossers and foreigners?  :lol:

Thats our team GR, you heard him wrong.

Well I don't condider someone with a career tally of 1 goal in just under 5 games an out and out striker. I think it was 1 in 3.7 or summat when he was at Depor in the league. But I haven't checked.

The top 20 strikers in Europe like Owen all have career averages of 1in 2 or thereabouts.

Simple indicators really. Not rocket science.

Luque is not a striker. He is a forward/left winger.

When SOuness bought him, Souness said that he expected him to score 10+ a season but not 20+. I don't think he has anymore future in Newcastle as winger, as we are well blessed in this area. He is going to play more as a forward, and he seems to do well in this position lately.