Shay Given on Soccer am

Skirge

I thought whenever a picture of Carr had come up Given had said Taylor. Thought it had been a mistake and also would make sense because i can't imagine Carr being the best trainer.

No way in hell is Oba NOT the quickest player. He is freaking olympic standard reportedly...

EDIT: Actually, I remember when he was at Inter he was known as being the fastest top level footballer in the world!

:thup:  correct

No way in hell is Oba NOT the quickest player. He is freaking olympic standard reportedly...

EDIT: Actually, I remember when he was at Inter he was known as being the fastest top level footballer in the world!

He probably means quickest on the ball.  Martins is very fast when running without the ball, but he hasn't got the control to run particularly fast with it.

I've never seen Oba do anything fast, tbh.

As I said he's not particularly fast running with the ball, he also has the strange problem of almost never making good runs in behind the defence.  So yeah its not really obvious, the only time you can see his speed is when he chases the ball down, which is also something he doesn't do enough of..

Guest rebel_yell12

I'm not at all shocked that Owen was listed as worst trainer.  He said that himself when they did an England teammates one, if I recall correctly.  And I know some old teammates from Liverpool brought it up before.  It's hardly new, so I wouldn't say it explains any downturn in form.  And what Given actually said was the Owen comes in, does what he's told, and is off home again -- I'm not sure that's lazy, though it's certainly not over-achieving either.  And also, he has three small children at home (4, 2 and a few months, I believe) is it so horrible that he'd not hang about the training grounds with his mates but rather go home to his wife and children?  That said, I've never gotten the impression that training is Michael Owen's favourite part of being a footballer.

Owen even admitted as much in his recent documentary on SKY -- he right out admitted that if he's told to do ten of something, and the person turns their back, he'll do nine.  He even admitted it's a major fault of his -- at least he admits that, eh?  No one noted on this board what Given said after that which was something along the lines of "but he turns it on on match days, so that's all right".  Apparently, his teammates and manager don't think Owen's as lazy and as shite during matches as some of the viewers do.  See also Keegan's comments today about Owen looking very sharp, but not getting any quality from the midfield.  If any manager has sympathy and understanding for strikers, it ought to be KK.

I think it's notable that he was listed among the quickest -- not the fastest, but the quickest.  Quick is about reaction time, IMO, whereas fast is for distance.  Being intelligent and reading play can make you quicker, not much but good genetics makes you faster. 

Guest clownhat

dancers: two young black guys

speed: to be fair in goal you get a shite perspective of speed

training: if owen trains for more than 10 mins he needs a fucking groin opp