Will this summer be our most ambitious summer ever?

Willow
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

we may be ambitious in our targets but i dont think we are a club able to bring in world class players

dont think KK has pulling power

The "Pulling power" argument was used against Roeder and Souness and they got big name signings e.g. Owen, Duff, Martins, etc.

Thats when we thre silly money about which i dont expect to happen and quite rightly.

Plus these players needed to move were as the players who we need this summer will be wanted by clubs in europe

The bigger clubs sometimes already have a big enough squad to not need to buy anyone usually the likes of man united, arsenal, barcelona etc all buy one or two top quality players. Not every one available can go to a club in europe some fall out with a manager or a board and request a move. Yes silly money may be needed but sometimes its just a big gamble you need to make on a player as to wether they will suit the prem or not. I for one am not in the camp expecting deco, rooney, ronaldo etc to walk in the door over the summer but there will be quality out there that will improve the current squad and when you are there to do a task over the long term that is what is needed.

I expect signings that will be able to get us into Europe e.g. like Villa have done then we can build on the quality

I expect signings that will be able to get us into Europe e.g. like Villa have done then we can build on the quality

Depending on your view we are either 5/6 players away from a top 6 side or 1/2 I for one am some where in the middle and think 3/4 would do it basically its catch 22 you need to have a good squad depth to survive a season and finish well due to inevitable suspensions, injuries, international call ups etc and we dont seem to have that in any great abundance then you need to weigh up making totally changes i.e complete new back 4 which can be too much for a side to adjust to.

I would rather make steady progress than try and buy our way up the table lets face it we have tried and looked where it got us .

Depending on your view we are either 5/6 players away from a top 6 side or 1/2 I for one am some where in the middle and think 3/4 would do it basically its catch 22 you need to have a good squad depth to survive a season and finish well due to inevitable suspensions, injuries, international call ups etc and we dont seem to have that in any great abundance then you need to weigh up making totally changes i.e complete new back 4 which can be too much for a side to adjust to.

I would rather make steady progress than try and buy our way up the table lets face it we have tried and looked where it got us .

Depends on who we were buying e.g. proven premiership players likes of Berbatov Bentley SWP spending money on these would work whereas in the past we have spent it on unproven foreigners

I think spending will be unprecedented this summer, going on what Ashley and Kelmsey has said (give me a chance with a window) and (nufc are in for exciting times) i'd say we  are in for a good summer, i dont even care about getting my hopes dashed im so sure of it.

Wasn't Mort recently quoted (a few weeks back) as saying he wants to spend as money comes in?

Not heard this to be fair, my sig was a quote from keegan which would undermine that view. I also imiagine they want to keep there kitty quiet so prices dont rise.

I think spending will be unprecedented this summer, going on what Ashley and Kelmsey has said (give me a chance with a window) and (nufc are in for exciting times) i'd say we  are in for a good summer, i dont even care about getting my hopes dashed im so sure of it.

Wasn't Mort recently quoted (a few weeks back) as saying he wants to spend as money comes in?

Not heard this to be fair, my sig was a quote from keegan which would undermine that view. I also imiagine they want to keep there kitty quiet so prices dont rise.

Tbf SA gave the same impression, granted KK might have more pull in the boardroom.

Depends on who we were buying e.g. proven premiership players likes of Berbatov Bentley SWP spending money on these would work whereas in the past we have spent it on unproven foreigners

I can see the point but it goes back to me saying earlier that the players you mention are 15-30M each and no doubt Kev will not have limitless funds I would rather we didnt run the risk of getting only one or two of these blowing the transfer kitty and rely in them to carry the team. This would also be against the basic need to have strength and depth in the squad which can kill a season once your "big names" are out of the picture.

I agree that looking to europe doesnt always bring results and we have had to pay hefty fee;s in the past when there has been a prem player of equal value which could pose less risk. Even prem players though can be a gamble they can fail to adapt to the squad they play with and they can be unsettled in the region which all effects their playing so no player is risk free but its even worse if your gambling so much money of them.

we may be ambitious in our targets but i dont think we are a club able to bring in world class players

What he gets up to in his spare time doesn't reflect on how he manages the club.

What he gets up to in his spare time doesn't reflect on how he manages the club.

:lol:

I currently am incredibly disappointed. The whole Woodgate saga has shown how far we have fallen as a club and we need a very expensive summer to address this. With a billionaire in charge we should rightly expect a Chelsea-esque transformation. I doubt it will come though. We need to really buy some top of the range players because the stadium, finance, fanbase, core of players, training facilities and possibly manager are all there in place. 5/6 players can make us Champions League challengers (for qualification, not the trophy), but as I say Mike has to reach into his pocket and deeply!

I currently am incredibly disappointed. The whole Woodgate saga has shown how far we have fallen as a club and we need a very expensive summer to address this. With a billionaire in charge we should rightly expect a Chelsea-esque transformation. I doubt it will come though. We need to really buy some top of the range players because the stadium, finance, fanbase, core of players, training facilities and possibly manager are all there in place. 5/6 players can make us Champions League challengers (for qualification, not the trophy), but as I say Mike has to reach into his pocket and deeply!

you sound like timmy the spoilt kid from viz

It's a bit different now that half the league have billionaire owners, not to mention a fair few foreign clubs who have more money than ever before as well.

Chelsea were the first, it's a completely different ball game now.

I don't disagree that we need some high quality players, but I think it's asking a lot to get players of world-class reputation in.

Guest Guinness

I'm obviously hoping for big things, part of me is still hoping for something in this window even though I've resigned myself to the fact we're getting no one. However I won't be getting my hopes up, I think the media have hyped things up a hell of a lot. I just hope we don't have to sell to buy seeing as I can't see us getting anything for expendable players such as Smith, Barton, Rozehnal etc.

It would cost a huge amount of money in wages and transfers to get the top best players to come here for us to compete with Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal etc...  - because nobody wants to join a mid table team with no European football if they are good enough to play for Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal etc...  They might if the money is big enough, i.e Diarra asking for £90k a week to come here over Portsmouth.  Fuck that.  I'd rather we spent 2 or 3 years building the team with sensible proven purchases and spending big when we have the clout to get the better players in when they want to come here, and when the rest of the team are good enough to support them.

Missing out on Woodgate is not a bad sign, it's a wake up call of where we are and how much time and work will be needed to get back to the position where Woodgate would come here.  We got Duff and Parker ahead of Spurs, that didn't prove anything did it really.

Just hope we spend wisely in the summer, improving the areas where we are weak and in return get a better consistent performance on the pitch next season.  Move up to top half of the table and hover a few points around the European spots would show we are moving in the right direction and in a good platform to spend again to get in to Europe.  If we are lucky, we may get there faster, but we can't expect to spend heavily and achieve immediate results, surely we've proved that doesn't work all the time.

I'm obviously hoping for big things, part of me is still hoping for something in this window even though I've resigned myself to the fact we're getting no one. However I won't be getting my hopes up, I think the media have hyped things up a hell of a lot. I just hope we don't have to sell to buy seeing as I can't see us getting anything for expendable players such as Smith, Barton, Rozehnal etc.

If we sold I would expect us to make at least £5 Million on him. Come on he's a current England international (OK may not mean a lot currently) even they likes of James McFadden go for £6 Million.

If we sold I would expect us to make at least £5 Million on him. Come on he's a current England international (OK may not mean a lot currently) even they likes of James McFadden go for £6 Million.

Make £5m or get £5m?

Guest Guinness

Would be a miracle if we did. I can see your argument about being an England international, I just don't see why anyone would pay £5m for someone who is woeful in midfield and can't score when up front.

Make £5m or get £5m?

Sorry, should have been get.

I think the best thing this club could do is sit tight in this window, spend the next 4-6 months thoroughly scouting and identifying targets then going about our business in the Summer. These 6 months should be used to fully assess the squad and look at possible improvements. Little steps would be nice.

I also agree with the idea of looking at fringe big team premiership players and the better quality lower team players. A player like Doyle or Barnes would be a step in the right direction IMO.

• 4 months later...

Something is not necessarily better than nothing. You'd think fans would have learned that after all the duds we've signed over the years who've ended up on massive contracts doing jack shit.

When you've got fuk all its worth taking a reasonable risk on someone, Barnes, Arshivan is a reasonable risk imo.

Most of those duds have come as very good palyers who've done well in the league and look how that turned out.

How is Arshavin or whatever his name is a "reasonable risk", can you explain that to me? Short of you being a *insert name of whoever the hell he plays for here* season ticket holder on the sly or at least having some sort of subscription to The Ruski Channel, I fail to see how you could possibly know that.

Done well in Europe (nearly one in two in the Eufa cup) and NT level and has interested a lot of top clubs in Europe, some a lot bigger than ourselves, that's how its a reasonable risk. Every player is a risk FFS, surely a one with obvious talent isn't so much of one?

So you need to attend 50 games to have an opinion on a player?  :rolleyes:

You've just described Albert Luque there, you realise that?

The UEFA Cup is fucking shit mate, you know that as well as I do. Until the quarters, you play teams from Israeli mountain villages.

Let's say he turns out to be shit, hardly out of the realms of possibility, KK's spent £10m on him, do you think Ashley's going to be overjoyed when he comes for more money in four months and Keegan says "Sorry, but he looked good on a video"?

Also describes Elano.

Yes Wullie, fine words of wisdom in this thread.

I think the best thing this club could do is sit tight in this window, spend the next 4-6 months thoroughly scouting and identifying targets then going about our business in the Summer. These 6 months should be used to fully assess the squad and look at possible improvements. Little steps would be nice.

I also agree with the idea of looking at fringe big team premiership players and the better quality lower team players. A player like Doyle or Barnes would be a step in the right direction IMO.

I still think this.

I still think this.

Yep, i thought similar things at the time aswell. Especially the bolded bit, which is the biggest concern for me. I'm not going to be a frantic and get up tight cos we've not made a big signing. What's more concerning is the fact that there isn't even any youth development as yet, which you would have expected, especially considering we managed to sign five of em in January.

Guest shearer_united

So, do you forsee an exciting rollercoaster of a summer?

Honestly, No. And I'm getting my hopes up!