Will this summer be our most ambitious summer ever?

Willow
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Something is not necessarily better than nothing. You'd think fans would have learned that after all the duds we've signed over the years who've ended up on massive contracts doing jack shit.

When you've got fuk all its worth taking a reasonable risk on someone, Barnes, Arshivan is a reasonable risk imo.

Most of those duds have come as very good palyers who've done well in the league and look how that turned out.

How is Arshavin or whatever his name is a "reasonable risk", can you explain that to me? Short of you being a *insert name of whoever the hell he plays for here* season ticket holder on the sly or at least having some sort of subscription to The Ruski Channel, I fail to see how you could possibly know that.

Done well in Europe (nearly one in two in the Eufa cup) and NT level and has interested a lot of top clubs in Europe, some a lot bigger than ourselves, that's how its a reasonable risk. Every player is a risk FFS, surely a one with obvious talent isn't so much of one?

So you need to attend 50 games to have an opinion on a player?  :rolleyes:

You've just described Albert Luque there, you realise that?

The UEFA Cup is fucking shit mate, you know that as well as I do. Until the quarters, you play teams from Israeli mountain villages.

Let's say he turns out to be shit, hardly out of the realms of possibility, KK's spent £10m on him, do you think Ashley's going to be overjoyed when he comes for more money in four months and Keegan says "Sorry, but he looked good on a video"?

I'm not getting my hopes up, could very well be the same old thing, a mid table club with no European football trying to sign players that won't even look at us.

This is how it is, and we need to accept it before we can move on. 

I want the big named stars, but would prefer many smaller improvements in key areas of our squad to make a much better team, than to put all our eggs in one basket on an expensive European player like (i.e. Luque, Boumsong). We end using and relying on the players we tried to replace when these expensive foreign flops don’t work out, so in essence we spend big but go nowhere.  That’s not to say it always fails buying and spending lots abroad (Man City good example where it can lead to quick improvements), but it’s a safer bet to poach someone we know who is good in the Premier League from the smaller teams around us, or the ones that are good but in the fringes and wanting first team games at the bigger Premier League clubs.

Something is not necessarily better than nothing. You'd think fans would have learned that after all the duds we've signed over the years who've ended up on massive contracts doing jack shit.

When you've got fuk all its worth taking a reasonable risk on someone, Barnes, Arshivan is a reasonable risk imo.

Most of those duds have come as very good palyers who've done well in the league and look how that turned out.

How is Arshavin or whatever his name is a "reasonable risk", can you explain that to me? Short of you being a *insert name of whoever the hell he plays for here* season ticket holder on the sly or at least having some sort of subscription to The Ruski Channel, I fail to see how you could possibly know that.

Done well in Europe (nearly one in two in the Eufa cup) and NT level and has interested a lot of top clubs in Europe, some a lot bigger than ourselves, that's how its a reasonable risk. Every player is a risk FFS, surely a one with obvious talent isn't so much of one?

The UEFA Cup is fucking shit mate, you know that as well as I do. Until the quarters, you play teams from Israeli mountain villages.

Let's say he turns out to be shit, hardly out of the realms of possibility, KK's spent £10m on him, do you think Ashley's going to be overjoyed when he comes for more money in four months and Keegan says "Sorry, but he looked good on a video"?

Also describes Elano.

Something is not necessarily better than nothing. You'd think fans would have learned that after all the duds we've signed over the years who've ended up on massive contracts doing jack s***.

The UEFA Cup is f****** s*** mate, you know that as well as I do. Until the quarters, you play teams from Israeli mountain villages.

Let's say he turns out to be s***, hardly out of the realms of possibility, KK's spent £10m on him, do you think Ashley's going to be overjoyed when he comes for more money in four months and Keegan says "Sorry, but he looked good on a video"?

Also describes Elano.

Your more likely going to buy a Luque than you are an Elano.

Elano is magic.  Luque is a lazy money grabbing cunt.

I'd say Sven was either very lucky with Elano, or damn smart.  Probably a bit of both.

Also describes Elano.

You're not allowed to mention Elano. lol

Elano's been average for the last three months too tbh. Not that he's not a very good player but if you're expecting the manager to be taking £10m risks on players from a sub-standard league on no evidence whatsoever when he's been in the job for a week, you're living on another planet imo.

Keegan spending in this window doesn't make sense as he hasn't had time to look at what he's got when it comes to playing his style of football.  I think he'll get between £30 million and £60 million in the summer and it will be better spent than twice that amount would be now.

Keegan spending in this window doesn't make sense as he hasn't had time to look at what he's got when it comes to playing his style of football.  I think he'll get between £30 million and £60 million in the summer and it will be better spent than twice that amount would be now.

Agreed.

Elano's been average for the last three months too tbh. Not that he's not a very good player but if you're expecting the manager to be taking £10m risks on players from a sub-standard league on no evidence whatsoever when he's been in the job for a week, you're living on another planet imo.

Its what Sven did, but then again i do live next door to him.

Guest Erich von Manstein

Elano is magic.  Luque is a lazy money grabbing c***.

I'd say Sven was either very lucky with Elano, or damn smart.  Probably a bit of both.

What was lucky about Sven buying Elano? If you buy a good footballer and play to his strengths the player will do well.

Something NUFC haven't been able to grasp for a long long time.

Sensible and correct imo.

Not in January with the end of the window looming and three big games to prepare for he didn't.

Sven's first signing was actually Bianchi. Whoops.

Not in January with the end of the window looming and three big games to prepare for he didn't.

Wullster are you really opening up guns on Sven?

Check the table mate.

A player Speccy reckons they made money on.

Aye big whoops isn't it.

And if you are happy to go into those games with tried failures in the middle then more fool you.

for what its worth keegan's just been on ssn saying they're 'set to add to the squad in the summer in a very meaningful way'

also said he didnt want to take a chance on un-proven foreigners as it was a gamble how long they'd take to settle in, if they would at all

Check the table mate.

They're 7th and out of form. Great. ???

I'm not "opening up guns" on anyone. I'm suggesting that our manager shouldn't start pissing money up the wall on random foreigners. Apologies if that doesn't appeal to the more hysterical of our support.

I think the lack of activity in this window just shows what Keegan has had to choose from, not very much at all. We did our best to get Woodgate and didn't get him. Fair enough. The only other big transfer that springs to my mind is Anelka and he obviously had eyes for Chelsea. I don't know what peo;e expect really, would you be happy if he went and signed Erik Nevland?

Elano is magic.  Luque is a lazy money grabbing c***.

What was lucky about Sven buying Elano? If you buy a good footballer and play to his strengths the player will do well.

Something NUFC haven't been able to grasp for a long long time.

I think there is an element of luck in signing any player who joins the Premier League, especially if they are coming from one such as the Ukrainian league which is a slightly different standard from top flight English league.  Even Elano's old team mates said of their surprise of how well he has adapted, and you can't predict how well a player will adapt and perform in a completing different stage where far more talented players will be playing against you.  Elano himself is quoted as saying that he was surprised at the tempo of the Premiership.  (see Wikipedia)

Not to take credit away from Elano, he is clearly a special player and being used to his strengths as you say, but there was no 100% guarantee he was always going to workout here until he came and played.  Giovanni and Bianchi haven't worked out as successful, so you could argue was unlucky with these signings.

Aye big whoops isn't it.

And if you are happy to go into those games with tried failures in the middle then more fool you.

Bianchi's on loan isn't he?

That's off topic anyway, the point is that we're not in a position to have to take a risk spending big money on a player that the manager knows nothing about, it's worked out for Sven but there are examples where it hasn't worked out for others, why take a £10 million risk when we don't have to at this moment in time?

That's not me saying we don't need new players, we clearly do but we're not in a position where we have to sign players nobody knows much of and hope it works out well.

Not getting my hopes up tbh, Keegan said he wanted about 3 names in before the end of this month and it looks like we will not sign anyone, people should take heed here, it isnt easy to get players. If we do well in June ill feel optimistic about July and August.

Aye big whoops isn't it.

Sorry, I thought we were trying to improve performance on the pitch between now and May, not sign with a view to making money in the summer.

If we'd signed Bianchi tomorrow, in a few weeks we'd have been left with a £9m deficit, a dud unsettled striker and no guarantee whatsoever of making the money back. What happens in the summer would not be a lot of comfort at that stage.

Check the table mate.

They're 7th and out of form. Great. ???

I'm not "opening up guns" on anyone. I'm suggesting that our manager shouldn't start pissing money up the wall on random foreigners. Apologies if that doesn't appeal to the more hysterical of our support.

Your argument is clearly sound and as much as my instinct says we need a couple of players, it probably isn't prudent to spend biggish money now. Is for why I was critical of the timing of the sacking (if it was a sacking).

I'm a little surprised the club doesn't seem to have been tracking any good players which may or may not have been suggested to KK.

TT has a point in the sense that even one good signing in this window would give the whole side a lift especially the stagnant midfield.

I think the lack of activity in this window just shows what Keegan has had to choose from, not very much at all. We did our best to get Woodgate and didn't get him. Fair enough. The only other big transfer that springs to my mind is Anelka and he obviously had eyes for Chelsea. I don't know what peo;e expect really, would you be happy if he went and signed Erik Nevland?

It's also the lack of time Keegan has had to even spend a penny.  He hasn't been watching players or speaking to the scouts at the club for the whole season planning possible January targets, he came in late through Jan and had a job to do at home to Bolton and away at Arsenal, yet somehow is expected by some to make wonder signings in that time too.

I'd rather Keegan thought about who to sign than to sign someone after being at a club for 5 mins with even less time left of the transfer window.

The Woodgate bid was a sensible one, but probs one to get someone of a proven quality in who was available.  He went to Spurs, we have Faye and Beye returning to add to the defence this week, so its not that bad.  In January there will be more cash to spend.  Hurray.