Never mind the future, what about the past?

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

It is all good and well the club bringing in foreign youngsters to beef up the inadequate academy but Newcastle and the North East of England has giving our game and this club some fine fine players over the years such as Shearer, Robson, Gazza, Beardsley, Wor Jackie, Waddle, Bruce, Carrick and a whole host of other top players and from what I see week in week out we are still blessed with the same talent and this is where the club REALLY needs to start looking at if the academy is to ever serve a real purpose not just to United but just as importantly the community too.

More foreign kids = less chances for homegrown kids. Fact!

Me, I'm concerned.

Arsenal are a cosmopolitan club and can get away with flooding its juniors and reserve sides with foreign youngsters, Newcastle United should always remain true to its roots however.

From a footballing perspective where the first-team is concerned these foreign youngsters and the steps we are now taking to scour the globe for talent excite me, but if I'm being honest I want to see Newcastle's own representing Newcastle United ideally - or more of them.

We do have the talent. Go and see a junior football match and you'll see it for yourself. But not since Shearer have we seen a truly world-class player represent the game from wor end if you like. He burst onto the scene in '88 and not one world-class talent since. Carrick is the closest you'll get. Looking at our academy today I can't see where the next Shearer or even Carrick will come from, even more so now that we are recruiting foreign kids.

This isn't just a Newcastle problem though, it's football's. Our "new" academy in 2-5 years time will be no different to any other, full of foreign kids. That's the way the game has went and we are now actually playing catch up and jumping on that bandwagon. I just hope we don't fall into any trap that foreign kids are better, easier to coach and more accessible which would be easy to do.

Invest in your own backyard Newcastle, before it's too late.

Guest neesy111

It is all good and well the club bringing in foreign youngsters to beef up the inadequate academy but Newcastle and the North East of England has giving our game and this club some fine fine players over the years such as Shearer, Robson, Gazza, Beardsley, Wor Jackie, Waddle, Bruce, Carrick and a whole host of other top players and from what I see week in week out we are still blessed with the same talent and this is where the club REALLY needs to start looking at if the academy is to ever serve a real purpose not just to United but just as importantly the community too.

Me, I'm concerned.

Arsenal are a cosmopolitan club and can get away with flooding its juniors and reserve sides with foreign youngsters, Newcastle United should always remain true to its roots however.

From a footballing perspective where the first-team is concerned these foreign youngsters and the steps we are now taking to scour the globe for talent excite me, but if I'm being honest I want to see Newcastle's own representing Newcastle United ideally - or more of them.

We do have the talent. Go and see a junior football match and you'll see it for yourself. But not since Shearer have we seen a truly world-class player represent the game from wor end if you like. He burst onto the scene in '88 and not one world-class talent since. Carrick is the closest you'll get. Looking at our academy today I can't see where the next Shearer or even Carrick will come from, even more so now that we are recruiting foreign kids.

This isn't just a Newcastle problem though, it's football's. Our "new" academy in 2-5 years time will be no different to any other, full of foreign kids. That's the way the game has went and we are now actually playing catch up and jumping on that bandwagon. I just hope we don't fall into any trap that foreign kids are better, easier to coach and more accessible which would be easy to do.

they have they spent over 25 million in a academy which has produced only 1 decent player (taylor), the problem stems from the football system set-up from the FA and Government in School, kids never get the chance to play football in PE it's all these other sports like rounders etc, get them playing football all the time and things will change

Guest Knightrider

Me, I'm concerned.

they have they spent over 25 million in a academy which has produced only 1 decent player (taylor), the problem stems from the football system set-up from the FA and Government in School, kids never get the chance to play football in PE it's all these other sports like rounders etc, get them playing football all the time and things will change

By investing I'm not talking about money. Yes other issues are a problem, a real problem, I agree. But can be overcome especially from a club with our pulling power, surely? I think so and would hope so anyway. Just worries me that our future team will be full of foreign kids with your local talent ending up in the lower divisions playing for your Hartlepools.

If local players are good enough they'll get the chance.

Unless you're suggesting the club would rather waste money of foreign talent just for the hell of it.

Guest Knightrider

That's a cliche, that if players are good enough they will get a chance.

We haven't got foreigners infiltrating the U16s.

If the U16's that move to the U18s aren't as good as the foreigners brought in to bolster our ranks, then we are better off with the foreigners.

We seem to have picked up a bad batch of Brits over a period of several years. Bringing foreigners in is more likely to motivate the Brits to raise their game to be honest, make them realise that they need to constantly improve.

Our academy has a bad reputation in Britain. If we can get some artificially acquired foreign youngsters through the ranks, U17 starlets such as Daniel Rose may choose us over Spurs in the future.

Unless you're suggesting the club would rather waste money of foreign talent just for the hell of it.

How come,Shearer,Beardsley,etc,etc,sliped the net the first time round then??

I blame the local scouting networks of both Sunderland and Newcastle,it`s typical of the north east

both in football and in every day life,the people of this area are always under valued!!... >:(

My response to that is, tough sh*t. An absolute sh*tload has been spent on the academy over the last 10 years, and what has it produced in terms of homegrown talent? If the foreign lads come in and they're better, couldn't care less.

Guest RodrigoPalacio

Local kids round here are fucking shite at football and can barely run the length of the street these days.  I remember the days when we used to walk the length of Gateshead to find a patch of grass to kick a ball about on.  These days it's "Can I have a lift to the pitz please daddy?  I've got my appointment at 6:03 Pm with my psychiatrist, and then at 8:13 with my life coach, so if you could chauffer me to those I'll be very grateful."  Kids these days are different to the kids of 15-20 years ago.

Local kids round here are fucking shite at football and can barely run the length of the street these days. I remember the days when we used to walk the length of Gateshead to find a patch of grass to kick a ball about on.  These days it's "Can I have a lift to the pitz please daddy?  I've got my appointment at 6:03 Pm with my psychiatrist, and then at 8:13 with my life coach, so if you could chauffer me to those I'll be very grateful."  Kids these days are different to the kids of 15-20 years ago.

What a sweeping pile of shite that is. Must imagine the thousands of kids that use the JJB in North Shields every day then....

Guest Erich von Manstein

My response to that is, tough sh*t. An absolute sh*tload has been spent on the academy over the last 10 years, and what has it produced in terms of homegrown talent? If the foreign lads come in and they're better, couldn't care less.

Exactly, if we do get a homegrown player and he is good enough then he'll make it. Simple as.

As it happens, we haven't had any genuine quality from our academy despite spunking millions on facilities and all. Man City and Boro turn them out frequently enough, we don't. It's fine with me if NUFC want to go out and sign some of Europe's hottest talents.

As it happens, we haven't had any genuine quality from our academy despite spunking millions on facilities and all.

If you can get yourself up to watch an Acadmeny game, take time out to have a look at these much talked about facilities.

I blame the local scouting networks of both Sunderland and Newcastle,it`s typical of the north east

both in football and in every day life,the people of this area are always under valued!!... >:(

They still got their chance didn't they?  All that proves is our scouting network is crap as they were ignored without the excuse of having young foreigners taking their places in the academies and youth teams.

They still got their chance didn't they?  All that proves is our scouting network is crap as they were ignored without the excuse of having young foreigners taking their places in the academies and youth teams.

Dont know if im wrong here,but didnt,Shearer play in goal or right back,or something stupid like that

on his Newcastle trial,ya know in the late 60`s early 70`s  Burnley made a killing,by signing up the best from the

North East,anyone involved in football at a local level,will tell you,the talent is still there,it just gets over looked.

Guest Erich von Manstein

Dont know if im wrong here,but didnt,Shearer play in goal or right back,or something stupid like that

on his Newcastle trial,ya know in the late 60`s early 70`s  Burnley made a killing,by signing up the best from the

North East,anyone involved in football at a local level,will tell you,the talent is still there,it just gets over looked.

Agreed, Sunderland made a right killing with Chopra.

Burnley made a killing,by signing up the best from the North East,anyone involved in football at a local level,will tell you,the talent is still there,it just gets over looked.

Peter Kirkley who has been back at Newcastle for a few years now signed Ray Hankin and Brian Laws, as well as Trevor Steven for Burnley. The shameful thing Peter often gets overlooked by idoits of Acadmeny Directores like Irvine & Joyce.

Old interview with Peter @

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/news/tm_objectid=15754262&method=full&siteid=50081&headline=face-to-face--peter-kirkley-name_page.html

Agreed, Sunderland made a right killing with Chopra.

:thup: Yes your right,he`s 23\4 and looks a good prospect,if it goes tits up for the lad at the SOL

we can sell him on to a championship club,maybe break even,or lose a tad,at least the lad as had a chance.

Carroll, Godsmark, LuaLua (argueably), Donaldson, Airey, Morris all local.

What acadamy cosistantly produces the most local lads? Boro?

This is true because Steve Gibson placed a high priority on Youth Development some years ago.

Newcastle, on the other hand, have ALWAYS been a club that signed developed players at the expense of local talent(possibly because the management/board had some sort of kick-back financially ; that sort of thing was rife in the game some years ago)....if you look at some of the talent that escaped over the years you have the likes of Bobby and Jack Charlton(Jack was a fanatical B & W), Howard Kendall, Norman Hunter, Colin Bell, Stan Mortensen, Peter Beardsley(club had to pay to bring him home),Steve Bruce,Alan Shearer(played, unforgettably, as a goal-keeper in a trial before he went to Saints),Chris Waddle(signed from Tow Law),SBR(went to WBA),etc etc etc...most of these guys said that they always felt that NUFc were not particularly bothered about local talent and that there were always hundreds of kids hanging around the club - problem was that the club took them for granted.

These days, there are less & less kids playing football at school and as I've said before, too many not exercising at all(on computer games etc).Greater material wealth has ruined the NE as a football nursery.

You only have to look at countries like Brazil, where there is still  much poverty,who still produce great players because they see it as a way out of the poor-house.

There won't be any change unless the School Cirriculum is changed, and that doesn't look likely....