Newcastle 1 - 1 Middlesbrough - 03/02/08 - Post match reaction from page 15

James

I thought we played alright in the second half. The first half was unbearable and it was classic Allardyce stuff with the long balls up to Smith. I thought Keegan was suppose to be changing all this? Of course it doesn't help that arguably three of our best players are away at the ANC but we really should be better than this. When they do come back, this is my suggestion for a starting eleven. It's one that hasn't been tried before and all I'm doing is putting footballers onto the pitch, none of this grafting/running around a lot and not doing much. We need players who can control and pass the ball and we need a spark up front.

Given

Beye Taylor Faye Enrique

Duff Barton Emre Zoggy

Owen Martins

It clearly is an attacking team and it's the type of team that will cause the opposition trouble. For far too long we've always been concerned about what players the opposition has and how they should be stopped, but we've never said 'fuck it, make them stop us'. I reckon a central midfield of Barton and Emre can be quite successful. Some might say at first it's very similar to the Parker and Emre one but Barton clearly is a different kind of player than Parker is; for starters, he can actually pass the ball forward. And with the way the rest of the team is shaped up, the onus will NOT be on either of them to make the telling pass. Because of the options that exist in this team, we'll not be dependent on a single player to create chances for us.

Obviously Zoggy needs to be on the left wing. Most of his better crosses today was when he was further up the pitch and that needs to be the case ALL THE TIME. That's been the case all season and it IS really his best position no matter what he says. With Milner being out of form, Duff is the choice out wide right as he's got a decent left foot, can now cut in and shoot and he has PACE, something sorely lacking in the team atm. And if Duff's out wide right, it'll give a chance for Beye to come up as well when Duff cuts in = more attacking options for us.

I also reckon Martins and Owen will provide the necessary relief for our defense. The fact that we have some pace up front will mean the opposition's defence will be playing deeper than normal -> more space in midfield for our players -> more time on the ball for our players (and they clearly need it). I know some might say we need a big man/little man combo but honestly, how many flick ons has Owen gotten to this season? 1? 2? Not a lot more is my guess. How many times does a flick on from Viduka/Smith actually go into space anyway? Not much is my guess as well. Owen will get the goals if the team can create chances and this team will. Martins will also movement, something that I feel is sorely lacking from Smith/Viduka and even though the movement might be erratic, it'll cause trouble for big slow defenders (think Spurs at home this season).

And with regards to our defence, Taylor's really improved over the past 5 or so games and with the other 3, it's just a matter of them having time together on the pitch - they're all good enough individually.

Sorry for the long post!

Apisith,

Won't quote your post but I thought that Barton was much more effective given a central role when Emre went off and I agree this might be a key relationship over the coming weeks at home. Butt away for me. The player that is.

Typical Keegan always attacking. Why can't Newcastle ever defend a lead against a schitty side like Boro?

What a load of nonsense.

If anything, we didn't attack enough. We should have went on for number two after Owen's first.

We did, unfortunately the chance fell to Barton!

and owen, and people say he takes his chances lol

Stop slagging Owen, he's just coming back from injury, he is and will continue to improve. If the rest of the team start creating chances there aren't many players I'd put in front of Owen to hit the onion bag.

Technically speaking, Owen scored two goals today. What more do people want him to do?

I don't think a Barton/Emre combination will work. There's no great protection for the defense from a physical point of view..... you can get away with that if the CMs are excellent going forward, thus relieving pressure. But neither Barton or Emre are. I think both will clog their way into a tackle and win the ball in a tackle 5 times out of 10, but it's not enough.

Looking at how shite Butt is nowadays, i'd probably have Faye in the middle alongside one of Barton or Emre. It's annoying though, cos Faye is undoubtedly our best centre-back as far as i am concerned. It'll probably be best for the team if he's in midfield, but that says more about our CM squad than it does about Faye.

And maybe with consistency, Caçapa and Taylor can form a decent partnership. They've both got decent attributes.

Agree about the wings, Apisith, and i'd like to see how those forwards did with each other. We need a consistent team, desperately.

just about a fair result and if one side had to win they probably had the better chances.

give....kept us in it despite some dodgy distribution and lack of communication with defenders

carr...done allright epecially in the first half when he had to do all the right hand side work (attacking and defending ) on his tod

n'zogbia..when he could be arsed to find the space put in some fantstic crosses. only looked bothered when 20yds from their goal. couldn't give a toss about getting back

cacapa...man of the match for me

taylor...looked a bit at sea at times and took too long on the ball

butt...desperate to find someone in space but with little movement he was found wanting

duff...gets double manned so should expect the full back to help/make use of the space. didnt bollock zod nough to get him going

barton..i have no idea where he was supposed to be playing in the first half and apart from turning a goal kick to them into a throw in and 1 good ball to duff done little to nothing

emre...as with butt,the lack of movement hampers his game

smith...lots of work,nowt else

owen....good owen type goal.when he got the ball tended to find a striped shirt.got through a lack of unowen type work when smith went off

milner....even if his crosses arent the best he forces defenders back

viduka...no mobility but still a threat in the box(i'd actually rather play ameobi)

That's true Yorkie, I was just seeing thinking out loud. But, this having a DM in the middle hasn't worked well for us if the DM isn't able to pass because the other MC is just marked all the time. I don't know if Faye can do that but I really hate players out of position because it'll cost us. If Faye isn't at the back then it's either Cacapa (who is still a bit dodgy) or playing Baye in the center and thus having Carr at RB. That is why we just need players who can pass the ball. We'll be alright if we can keep possession for an extended period of time because you can't really lose a goal if you have the ball. A good comparison for this philosophy would be Arsenal (Flamini and Fabregas). Their center midfielders aren't either all-out attacking or defensive, they're able to do both (hustle and pass) and that's why it's really hard for teams to control the game against them because Arsenal always control the ball! It's a different way of winning games but with the personnel available, it also might be the best.

And with regards to our defence, Taylor's really improved over the past 5 or so games and with the other 3, it's just a matter of them having time together on the pitch - they're all good enough individually.

Has he?

He must have been absolutely fucking awful before Keegan came in because he's still a liability now.

Anyone still reckon this squad can get in the top 6.  :rolleyes:

Yes if KK would play our best player in their best positions and that they would stay fit, and pot a good system in play.

If Keegan bought good players to play in those positions, then maybe.

As it stands, we don't have enough quality for the top half, never mind the top 6 or 7.  Ask your City, Pompey, Villa supporting mates how many of our squad they would have instead of their own.  Not many I would wager (if any at all).

Guest mobiius

Given

Beye    Taylor    Faye      Enrique

Duff      Barton  Emre      Zoggy

Owen    Martins

It clearly is an attacking team and it's the type of team that will cause the opposition trouble. For far too long we've always been concerned about what players the opposition has and how they should be stopped, but we've never said 'fuck it, make them stop us'. I reckon a central midfield of Barton and Emre can be quite successful. Some might say at first it's very similar to the Parker and Emre one but Barton clearly is a different kind of player than Parker is; for starters, he can actually pass the ball forward. And with the way the rest of the team is shaped up, the onus will NOT be on either of them to make the telling pass. Because of the options that exist in this team, we'll not be dependent on a single player to create chances for us.

Obviously Zoggy needs to be on the left wing. Most of his better crosses today was when he was further up the pitch and that needs to be the case ALL THE TIME. That's been the case all season and it IS really his best position no matter what he says. With Milner being out of form, Duff is the choice out wide right as he's got a decent left foot, can now cut in and shoot and he has PACE, something sorely lacking in the team atm. And if Duff's out wide right, it'll give a chance for Beye to come up as well when Duff cuts in = more attacking options for us.

I also reckon Martins and Owen will provide the necessary relief for our defense. The fact that we have some pace up front will mean the opposition's defence will be playing deeper than normal -> more space in midfield for our players -> more time on the ball for our players (and they clearly need it). I know some might say we need a big man/little man combo but honestly, how many flick ons has Owen gotten to this season? 1? 2? Not a lot more is my guess. How many times does a flick on from Viduka/Smith actually go into space anyway? Not much is my guess as well. Owen will get the goals if the team can create chances and this team will. Martins will also movement, something that I feel is sorely lacking from Smith/Viduka and even though the movement might be erratic, it'll cause trouble for big slow defenders (think Spurs at home this season).

Sorry for the long post!

We will soon see  as i have just read that ghana have twatted nigeria out of the compo so Oba is on his way home.

Unfortunately Keegan has inherited some tough fixtures after Allardyce wasted the easier games (e.g. Derby, Wigan, etc). Look at what Roeder managed. He was playing Ameobi and Chopra up front in some of the games we won. Confidence is low. If we get a result we've got a tough game straight after it.

Has he?

He must have been absolutely fucking awful before Keegan came in because he's still a liability now.

Forget about the Arsenal games. They make EVERYONE look like shit. Even a decent Citeh team got dominated by them.

That's true Yorkie, I was just seeing thinking out loud. But, this having a DM in the middle hasn't worked well for us if the DM isn't able to pass because the other MC is just marked all the time. I don't know if Faye can do that but I really hate players out of position because it'll cost us. If Faye isn't at the back then it's either Cacapa (who is still a bit dodgy) or playing Baye in the center and thus having Carr at RB. That is why we just need players who can pass the ball. We'll be alright if we can keep possession for an extended period of time because you can't really lose a goal if you have the ball. A good comparison for this philosophy would be Arsenal (Flamini and Fabregas). Their center midfielders aren't either all-out attacking or defensive, they're able to do both (hustle and pass) and that's why it's really hard for teams to control the game against them because Arsenal always control the ball! It's a different way of winning games but with the personnel available, it also might be the best.

Faye is as much a midfielder as a defender. Bolton fans were certainly of the opinion that he was their best midfielder.

Has he?

Forget about the Arsenal games. They make EVERYONE look like shit. Even a decent Citeh team got dominated by them.

So how can you say he's really improved over the last 5 games if you want to ignore 2 of them that were against a quality team?

Everytime he gets the ball I'm on edge, the only good performance he's put in in that time was against Bolton and that was because they hardly attacked.

As far as liabilities go he's not far behind Bramble.

Faye is as much a midfielder as a defender. Bolton fans were certainly of the opinion that he was their best midfielder.

Faye is a midfielder, he said in an interview that he was a midfielder before he joined Bolton and that that's his preferred position.

The reason he played there for Bolton was Gardner got injured so they had to move Ben Haim to left back.

Faye is a midfielder, he said in an interview that he was a midfielder before he joined Bolton and that that's his preferred position.

The reason he played there for Bolton was Gardner got injured so they had to move Ben Haim to left back.

I was of the opinion that he should go into midfield with Cacapa and Taylor continuing their partnership, but not sure I fancy Cacapa's height up against Laursen and Carew.

I think Cacapas doing ok at the moment so it might be worthwhile putting Faye in in place of Butt. This team would do me:

Given

Carr          Taylor          Cacapa       N'Zogbia

Faye

Emre

Barton                                             Duff

Viduka

Owen/Martins

Until Enrique returns.

I think Cacapas doing ok at the moment so it might be worthwhile putting Faye in in place of Butt. This team would do me:

Given

Faye

Emre

Viduka

Owen/Martins

Until Enrique returns.

Hopefully you've just forgotten Beye. ;)

Butt hasn't got he legs for me anymore.

We need less of these

http://evilbeetgossip.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/13777477spasulka430200761407pm.jpg

and more of these

http://www.worldofstock.com/slides/PMO1935.jpg

Given

Faye

Emre

Viduka

Owen/Martins

Until Enrique returns.

Hopefully you've just forgotten Beye. ;)

Aye a had actually, whichis credit to Carr to be honest. Normally my hand stops me from typing his name.