Newcastle 1 - 1 Middlesbrough - 03/02/08 - Post match reaction from page 15

James

Boro have been on a bit of an improved recently - they absolutely battered Blackburn at their place when when they should have won about 6-0. Unbeaten in their last 6 (7 now). Their confidence is growing, ours is still very much at Zero.

We had no reason to assume we would win this easily (if at all) and came very very close to doing so. We finally got the "No goals under Keegan" thing out of the way.

Lets get Beye and Faye back in the team and move on to Villa.

Owen could have had 4 recently pending decisions

sshh...don't let the facts get in the way of a good slagging.

Give your head a shake man for God's sake.

Sorry but I don't see the point in complaining about Owen when he's scored two goals even though our attacking play was blunt at best.

I'm not just talking about today. In the Premiership, your centre forward has to be able to do more than just score the odd header from a set piece. With the ball at his feet these days, Owen is totally impotent. He just won't put chances anymore. It's a matter of accepting that rather than categorising it as "a good slagging." :rolleyes:

Guest Mcdonald36

first of all boro are s***, when we pushed up they just kept hitting it over the top to given (when he had the presence of mind to come for it) or out of play, they had nothing

Nonsense. They played some good passing football and controlled the midfield for big parts of the game.

Guest neesy111

a good striker will score goals in any team and create chances for themselves

ffs darren bent scored 19 goals for charlton and they got relegated

at least oba does have pace and something unpredictable as owen must be very easy to mark and be easy for keepers as u know exactly where he is going to place his shot, he always places it into the bottom corner even tho it's not the best option always

Guest neesy111

first of all boro are s***, when we pushed up they just kept hitting it over the top to given (when he had the presence of mind to come for it) or out of play, they had nothing

Nonsense. They played some good passing football and controlled the midfield for big parts of the game.

if boro had tried to contribute to a football game 1st half we would of won, they came here to put 10 men behind the ball and get us on the counter

Sorry but I don't see the point in complaining about Owen when he's scored two goals even though our attacking play was blunt at best.

I'm not just talking about today. In the Premiership, your centre forward has to be able to do more than just score the odd from a set piece. With the ball at his feet these days, Owen is totally impotent. He just won't put chances anymore. It's a matter of accepting that rather than categorising it as "a good slagging." :rolleyes:

I find it insanely comical that the only goal Michael Owen seems capable of scoring these days is a header.

He's like shorter pre-WC2006 Miroslav Klose

I'm not just talking about today. In the Premiership, your centre forward has to be able to do more than just score the odd from a set piece. With the ball at his feet these days, Owen is totally impotent. He just won't put chances anymore. It's a matter of accepting that rather than categorising it as "a good slagging." :rolleyes:

Owen is still a good finisher IMO, but he doesn't offer much else, that much I agree with. The problems are much more concern in other areas of the pitch for me. Right wing, playmaker and central defence for a start.

Guest Mcdonald36

they came here to put 10 men behind the ball and get us on the counter

And?

They did a good job of it.

I find it insanely comical that the only goal Michael Owen seems capable of scoring these days is a header.

Yes cos he's missed SO many chances on the deck hasn't he? About 3. Who cares what his goals are like? So what if they're headers? Fuck me.

Yes cos he's missed SO many chances on the deck hasn't he? About 3. Who cares what his goals are like? So what if they're headers? f*** me.

I just find it funny that what used to be a small part of his game (his superb set-piece positioning) is just about all he has left to score goals.

The worrying thing isn't that he's missing chances on the deck, it's that he has no ability whatsoever to create them anymore.

Even then, he's missed far more than three easy chances with his foot this season.

Owen is still a good finisher IMO, but he doesn't offer much else, that much I agree with. The problems are much more concern in other areas of the pitch for me. Right wing, playmaker and central defence for a start.

What's your evidence that he's a good finisher? Apart from a couple of scrappy tap ins (today and Stoke), he's scored one goal with his feet this season - against Barnsley. You can say we're not creating, but today, against Arsenal in the cup and against Man City off the top of my head, he's had chances that your typical Premiership striker should bury without a second thought. Had loads earlier in the season too (two simple ones against Wigan spring to mind).

Bunch of fucking drama queens.

We were by no means bad, in fact we played some excellent football at times. Boro just looked like a side that had played together all season thats all.

nope

they came here to put 10 men behind the ball and get us on the counter

And?

They did a good job of it.

ok you can go back to the boro boards now

After having seen Middlesbrough's goal a couple of times more, I think it's pretty clear that Lee, coming from offside, was interfering with play. It should have been disallowed. It was a fairly even match, considering how it ended, but we were robbed of a 2-0 victory. (Possibly 2-1 if the decision to disallow Boro's second goal was incorrect, but who cares. The ref cost us 2 points today, not our players.)

Yes cos he's missed SO many chances on the deck hasn't he? About 3. Who cares what his goals are like? So what if they're headers? f*** me.

I just find it funny that what used to be a small part of his game (his superb set-piece positioning) is just about all he has left to score goals.

The worrying thing isn't that he's missing chances on the deck, it's that he has no ability whatsoever to create them anymore.

Even then, he's missed far more than three easy chances with his foot this season.

Honestly mate, what do you expect a player to do when the ball is constantly played to him in front of the defence? We next to never really get in behind teams, Owen gets the ball 'in the whole' because he's forced to drop in search of the ball. Owen in a team like Tottenham would be awesome. That's what they try to do every attack. Get the winger in behind and lay or chip a ball in. He ffeds off shite. He isn't the same player as when he joined us even, but still has it.

What's your evidence that he's a good finisher? Apart from a couple of scrappy tap ins (today and Stoke), he's scored one goal with his feet this season - against Barnsley. You can say we're not creating, but today, against Arsenal in the cup and against Man City off the top of my head, he's had chances that your typical Premiership striker should bury without a second thought. Had loads earlier in the season too (two simple ones against Wigan spring to mind).

What's my evidence? Erm...his career? He's not the player he was but a few misses hardly means he's lost the ability to finish. Strikers miss chances and go through spells like this. If he's still doing it over the next 5 matches you might have a point.

i agree its a worrying thing with owen where he seems to be missing more chances than he used to, but he's not as good as used to be, simple as, that said i think he's still our best striker and with a better passing team around him i think he'd be ten times the player, was pretty pleased with him today tbh

What's my evidence? Erm...his career? He's not the player he was but a few misses hardly means he's lost the ability to finish. Strikers miss chances and go through spells like this. If he's still doing it over the next 5 matches you might have a point.

He's been doing it all season mate. 14 starts and he's scored one goal which he's actually had to finish against a Championship side.

Guest neesy111

well 3 premiership goals tell's it own story, good strikers will create their own chance's, owen needs two brillent wingers which only 4-5 teams in europe could provide

at least oba is unpredictable, as i could mark owen cos he simply drops off and doesn't get in the box