N'Zogbia: good news and bad news

Dave

I've been thinking for a while that we should concentrate on signing British players. They just seem less inclined to engineer a move away. Or maybe we should just avoid signing French and Spanish players.

There's plenty of British talent out there, and although we might have to pay a bit more than we would for a foreign alternative i'm sure we'd see long term benefits.

I've been thinking for a while that we should concentrate on signing British players. They just seem less inclined to engineer a move away. Or maybe we should just avoid signing French and Spanish players.

There's plenty of British talent out there, and although we might have to pay a bit more than we would for a foreign alternative i'm sure we'd see long term benefits.

It depends on our ambition. If you could get into the Champions League on a regular basis by signing mostly British players other clubs would be doing it. How many of the current top 4 have teams which are made up of predominantly British players? 

Most of the top 4 teams have got a good english backbone excluding Arsenal.

Man Utd - Ferdinand, Scholes, Giggs, Rooney

Chelsea - Cole, Terry, Lampard

Liverpool - Carragher, Gerrard and Crouch(to an extent)

I've watched quality players come and go at SJP over the last 45 years.  I forcast England international careers for Gascoigne, Waddle and Beardsley when they were all in the reserves so I reckon I know a quality player when I see one,  and in my opinion, anyone with half a brain can see N'Zogbia is a quality player who has all the attributes to go all the way, and anyone who can't or refuses to see that should be supporting the mackems or smoggies.

Keegan certainly doesn't want rid, but he is using his head by not refusing a transfer immediately, because that would make N'Zogbia dig his heels in and become even more insistent on moving.  Keegan will instead gradually build up his ego and reliance upon praise from Keegan until he reaches the stage where he won't want to leave his mentor Keegan.

Beardsley wasn't in the reserves, he came back from Canada and played in the first or second game after returning when he came on as a sub at Barnsley, I was at the game.  I was also at the Cardiff game with a few hundred (at a guess) others when he scored his first goal when we beat them, we spent the full 90 minutes trying to dodge stones that were being thrown at us from outside the ground.  The police did nothing, they just stood against the back wall so nothing got near them and they only moved away to arrest Newcastle supporters when they picked up the stones and threw them back.

Love this wise after the event shit. Especially when it's shown to be complete bollocks. I was only a nipper when we signed Beardo 1st time round but I do seem to remember him playing for the first team almost straight away.

i consider N'Zogbia to be in the same league as Wright-Phillips, Young and Bentley.. except more versatile

it would be a madness to sell him to an english club and for less than 10 million..

right now, we would be relegation material without him and i'm not confident we can replace him with somebody better

Most of the top 4 teams have got a good english backbone excluding Arsenal.

Man Utd - Ferdinand, Scholes, Giggs, Rooney

Chelsea - Cole, Terry, Lampard

Liverpool - Carragher, Gerrard and Crouch(to an extent)

The players you have mentioned there are all cream of the crop. How many of that type are realistically around and available? I'm trying to think of where we need players for specific positions where we are short.

A left winger to replace Zog if he leaves?

A defensive midfielder to replace Butt?

A right winger - Bentley maybe?

A mobile centre forward?

So, we have another moody bloody frenchman to deal with.

Well, like most of the others, they will probably fade into obscurity once he leaves the club.

My view:

Stick 15 million quid on the pricks head, stick him in the ressies for the rest of the season and when they come knocking in the summer, accept 12 million and not a penny less. I dont see a lot of difference between Zog and Downing on their day and that seems to be the going rate for the Boro winger.

As for missing his contribution by sticking him in the ressies..................What contribution has that been in recent weeks?????????

i consider N'Zogbia to be in the same league as Wright-Phillips, Young and Bentley.. except more versatile

it would be a madness to sell him to an english club and for less than 10 million..

right now, we would be relegation material without him and i'm not confident we can replace him with somebody better

Same league as Bentley?  bluelaugh.gif

Ok even if Zog leaves who actually thinks it would be a disaster?

He's been one of our better players but still has not produced anything outstanding this season, and ok if he moves to another team and suddenly becomes a magical player then that's nobody's fault but our own for not helping him realise his potential.

Saying that though, how many players that have left here have become world beaters at other clubs?

Can't think of that many that didn't show their class here first.

If he's not happy get as much as we can for him and buy Bentley with the proceeds

Not sure how's he more versatile either. Bentley looks comfortable in the middle too. N'Zogbia has said he likes playing there but I haven't seen much evidence of this yet and when he plays at LB the defensive side of his game lets him down.

I've been thinking for a while that we should concentrate on signing British players. They just seem less inclined to engineer a move away.

What - like Jenas and Dyer and Parker didn't engineer a move away? (OK mebbe not Parker)

If N'Zogbia doesn't want to play for us then he can bugger off frankly.  I've got every faith that KK will either persuade him we're going to be the dogs bollocks or else will realise he really does want away and get rid. A la Andy Cole.

I don't think it's cut and dried that he wants away, Keegan did say we have some time to work with him, and he does tend to have mood swings, so he might well swing back yet! I doubt replacing him will be that easy, either, although it could be argued that his explosive speed isn't matched by his use of the ball sometimes.

How did Dyer engineer a move away?

I'm not saying we shouldn't buy foreigners at all, but i do believe we should sign British players if the quality is available for the positions we need to fill.

Left wing if a difficult one because other than Downing there aren't any British options who you would say are any good. Fair enough, explore the foreign options.

Right wing we could go for SWP, Lennon, Bentley. They might not come but lets test the water first before buying a French alternative.

Central midfield we could go for Carrick, Huddlestone, Scott Brown, Gareth Barry, Giles Barnes. Again they might not come but test the water before looking abroad.

Given the number of British players we've had the proportion that have rocked the boat or tried to engineer a move elsewhere is minimal. Compare that to the french players we've had and it's a very different story.

Given the number of British players we've had the proportion that have rocked the boat or tried to engineer a move elsewhere is minimal. Compare that to the french players we've had and it's a very different story.

Examples please?

Distin, Domi, Bernard and now N'Zogbia are 4 that instantly spring to mind but there might have been others as well

Dumas and Goma.

Bentley seems better at set pieces, crossing and shooting..but it's not like N'Zogbia is too far off in those areas.. then again, Zog is faster and dribbles better than Bentley.

if we have to sell a LW, hopefully it will be the one that makes pointless dribbles around players with no end product whatsoever..

actually the summer would be the ideal time to sell Duff, as he has regained some resemblance of form and hopefully Keane will be daft enough to pay 6 million for his services..

Guest Sniffer

Although I don't watch Bentley week in and week out, he doesn't seem to disappear from games or give the ball away as mucha s N'zogbia. At 22, he has to start moving away from the player with potential to actually performing well on a consistent basis or else we'll be left with another ameobi. If KK thinks he can't do that then he may well cash in on him in the summer while N'zogbia's still conning the cockneys into thinking he's a special talent.