Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

I haven't seen much of Croatia in this tournament because of work. How has Rakitic been doing? (sp?) Been impressed when i've seen him before, not much though tbh..

Has looked good, like most of the Croatia squad tbh.  Another in a fine bunch of players at Schalke, can't see him going anywhere soon.  Shame.

Maybe "realistic summer targets" isn't the best place to put this but from Football Transfer Rumours has this contribution:

I know for a fact as I am related to one of the couts at Newcastle United that the geordies ar egonna get

Arshavin £18 million

David Villa £20 million

Arda turan £8 million

Orlando Elengaar £2 million

Richard Dunne £5 million

Total Out £53 million

and theyll sell

Milner (Liverpool) £10 million

N'Zogbia (Tottenham) £14 million

Enrique (Valencia) £8 million

Alan Smith (Rangers £5 million

Viduka (LA galaxy) £8 mill

Total In 45 mill

http://www.football-rumours.co.uk/

The most unrealistic thing there is 5 million for Alan Smith

Nah Viduka 8mil tops it IMO

or the fact that we wont have a LB next season judging their predictions

Guest JonnyH

I haven't seen much of Croatia in this tournament because of work. How has Rakitic been doing? (sp?) Been impressed when i've seen him before, not much though tbh..

He didn't start the first game but he started the others. Looked confident on the ball and linked well with Pranjic, passing was decent and he had a reasonable amount of pace.

Guest davidthoris

Gudjonsen repeatedly linked in Icelandic media to Premier League .. most often linked with Newcastle or Portsmouth.

Agent / Father confirmed negotiations have started with an unnamed English club .........

Gudjonsen repeatedly linked in Icelandic media to Premier League .. most often linked with Newcastle or Portsmouth.

Agent / Father confirmed negotiations have started with an unnamed English club .........

Hope it isnt us

Redknapp was going on about wanting him a little while back. Seeing as they just had a big bid for Crouch knocked back I would imagine it is Portsmouth.

One of Crouch's mates says that Redknapp will be putting in an increased bid.  Or at least that's what Redknapp has told PC.

Redknapp was going on about wanting him a little while back. Seeing as they just had a big bid for Crouch knocked back I would imagine it is Portsmouth.

Bolton also after a new striker possibly him?

One of Crouch's mates says that Redknapp will be putting in an increased bid.  Or at least that's what Redknapp has told PC.

Is Crouch's mate a friend of Bentley too?

http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/index.php/2008/06/25/ten-players-you-dont-want-linked-to-your-club

Underwhelming transfers

Ten players you don’t want linked to your club

June 25th, 2008 · 17 Comments

The Spoiler considers the footballing talent you rather see warm someone else’s bench next season

Much like when a hot girl comes for an interview at your place of work, the feeling of knowing a quality player could be joining your club is pretty uplifting. However, unless you support Manchester Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal, occasionally a player who provokes a combined feeling of fear, disappointment and mild anger will crop up on the rumour radar. Even Liverpool suffer a little from ropeytransferitis, with names like Stewart Downing and James Milner not exactly living up to last summer’s star signing Fernando Torres.

With this in mind, we decided to compile a list of the ten names most likely to make you choke on your Corn Flakes when the back pages associate them with your side. Let’s get things started with a couple of Frenchmen…

Djibril Cisse

The French striker flopped during his spell at Liverpool but that doesn’t stop him believing that we all love him, judging by his determination to return to the Premier League. We don’t Djibril, we don’t.

Lillian Thuram

Even Lil realises that he’s not that popular after being dumped by Barcelona and failing with France. “I would like to continue to play but I don’t know if a club wants me,” he said last week. Celtic and Rangers have been linked but Scots can rest easy as he now appears to be PSG-bound.

Justin Hoyte

Perfect proof that playing with some really good players once or twice a season doesn’t make you a really good player. Maybe Martin O’Neill thinks he could do a Bentley and flourish away from the Emirates, but his loan spell at Sunderland suggested that simply won’t happen.

Harry Kewell

The Socceroo was one of the most exciting players in the Premier League…five years ago. After a few years rotting in hospital beds and in Liverpool’s reserve team he is damaged goods. Thankfully it’s looking like he will take WAG Sheree Murphy off to Italy.

Stephen Carr

Kevin Keegan is happy playing any old rubbish in defence, believing the strikers will score enough goals to negate the errors. If KK deems the Irishman unworthy, that ain’t a good sign. West Ham and Aston Villa fans have been among those squirming at the thought of him pulling on claret and blue.

James Beattie

He had one great season in 2003 that saw him score 23 goals, win some England caps and join Everton for £6 million. It was on Merseyside that it all fell apart, but now he has scored goals in the Championship, where anyone can beat anyone else, he’s worth £5 million all over again. Roy Keane is said to be tempted, and has already paid £4 million plus on three Championship players. Don’t do it, Roy!

Nicky Shorey

After looking incredibly ordinary as Reading sunk without a trace, Shorey has inherited the one-season wonder mantle previously held by players like Marlon Harewood and Darren Bent. So why is there always someone waiting to pay big money to give them another chance?

Johan Elmander

Recognise the name? Elmander was the guy who did a remarkable job of featuring in all three of Sweden’s Euro 2008 games while managing to do a grand total of nothing. We’re not even sure he touched the ball. So feel some sympathy for Fulham and Bolton fans, whose clubs may be willing to pay eight figures for him.

Scott Carson

He’s nowhere near as bad a goalkeeper as that mistake suggests, but he’s damaged goods and his confidence is shaken. Plus Rafa Benitez is sure to demand big money if the Peter Crouch saga is anything to go by. Aston Villa got to witness him first hand for 12 months before deciding he wasn’t worth buying, so why are there so many others in the queue? If Tottenham ever sign a new keeper, expect Paul Robinson to displace Carson in this list.

Milan Baros

The striker who flopped at Liverpool and Aston Villa has managed to make an entire career trading off his Euro 2004 topscorer success. He went to Portsmouth in January but scored a grand total of zero then went to the Euros with Czech Republic and failed to score. He’s now supposed to be the goal hero who keeps West Brom in the Premier League; Tony Mowbray would be wiser to stick with Kevin Phillips.

For realistic summer targets we are shit scared of I would add Dawson to the list. Surprised theres not more Newcastle players / ex players in their top ten.

Stephen Carr

Kevin Keegan is happy playing any old rubbish in defence, believing the strikers will score enough goals to negate the errors. If KK deems the Irishman unworthy, that aint a good sign. West Ham and Aston Villa fans have been among those squirming at the thought of him pulling on claret and blue.

That reminds me, I read something in one of the papers the weekend before last saying Carr poised for West Ham "having opted to run down his contract at Newcastle"

mackems.gif

Wing Wizard :lol: think they mean Lennon?

In sport, find out which star is being tipped to become Kevin Keegan's latest wing wizard, and we've the inside story on Sunderland reported £10m bid for an England international.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/In-Todays-Gazette.4224924.jp

BUT other reports today say Spuds will use Lennon as part of an offer to Blackburn for Bentley..

So, we are obviously in dire need of a creative midfielder. Who does everyone think we could get in and who'd improve us?

I still think Palacios would be a good option personally. I'd be tempted to say Veloso but even though he hardly played at Euro 2008 I think he might be a bit out of our reach.