Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

I agree about the Chelsea cast offs like, just I know we could do with another body at centre-half, well ideally not just another body, a top-class centre half, just not sure who we could get who is say as good as Woodgate was when we first got him.

Midfield is definitely the priority like.

I really have no idea who. The defenders i rate simply wouldn't come here and i don't take as much notice of a good defender as a good attacker when watching footie from abroad.

Celluer seems to be rock solid, would be the 1st name that comes to mind.

People have this obsession with a 'ball playing centre half' which apparently KK loves, can't say i noticed that in his 1st days here, but it was a while ago, secondly who are these ball playing centre halves? Thirdly, what makes a good one, someone who can pass?

A good ball playing defender is not just a good passer, but is someone who can carry the ball out of defence and into the midfield, forcing a central midfielder to deal with it, allowing a team mate to push on up the pitch with more space.

Plus they need to be able to defend, as well as any other.

I agree about the Chelsea cast offs like, just I know we could do with another body at centre-half, well ideally not just another body, a top-class centre half, just not sure who we could get who is say as good as Woodgate was when we first got him.

I really have no idea who. The defenders i rate simply wouldn't come here and i don't take as much notice of a good defender as a good attacker when watching footie from abroad.

People have this obsession with a 'ball playing centre half' which apparently KK loves, can't say i noticed that in his 1st days here, but it was a while ago, secondly who are these ball playing centre halves? Thirdly, what makes a good one, someone who can pass?

A good ball playing defender is not just a good passer, but is someone who can carry the ball out of defence and into the midfield, forcing a central midfielder to deal with it, allowing a team mate to push on up the pitch with more space.

Rio ferdinand springs to mind with that description

Rio ferdinand springs to mind with that description

The guy does more damage than good though, 1/10 times he strolls into mid with the ball he loses possession, he's fuking terrible at it.

I must say that I think Rio aint half the player he used to be and I probably paid more attention to his england performances than man uniteds. I guess it goes back to your original point that a descent attacking/ good organising type mid fielder is hard to find.

I never said i didn't rate him, he's just a liability when bringing the ball out of defence. He gets a rush of blood when he gets near the halfway line and has flashes of himself becoming Ronaldo and tends to lose the ball. The fact he's a cracking defender with pace to burn means he recovers well most of the time and gets away with it.

I never said i didn't rate him, he's just a liability when bringing the ball out of defence. He gets a rush of blood when he gets near the halfway line and has flashes of himself becoming Ronaldo and tends to lose the ball. The fact he's a cracking defender with pace to burn means he recovers well most of the time and gets away with it.

I've never seen Rio do stuff like that, on the other hand he's comfortable on the ball but that doesn't mean he's great at bringing it out of the defence, which some people seem to assume is the same thing.

I've never seen Rio do stuff like that, on the other hand he's comfortable on the ball but that doesn't mean he's great at bringing it out of the defence, which some people seem to assume is the same thing.

I'm shocked how many times it goes unnoticed. It was my Manu supporting mate who pointed it out end of last season, i've seen him do it loads since.

Surprised Fergie hasn't give him a bollocking, then again it might be classed as good attacking play that doesn't always pay off. If Taylor did something like that we'd have a heart attack, but then again he doesn't have the talent and certainly the speed, or the team around him to recover and recover well.

I can't understand people who don't rate Rio. He's up there with Carvalho as the best in the league.

behind woodgate and terry as a defender. looks better than he actually is.

Surely you don't mean John George Terry, the chap at Chelsea?! ??? He's good but he's not that good.

Agree with that Wulbert. Never thought he was worth anywhere near what Fergie paid for him but he's been excellent for the last few years.

Looks a class act and has cut out the stupid mistakes by and large. 

I'd say Ferdinand is easily the best English player at the moment, and definitely in the top three England players over the last ten years or so.

If tommorrow, we needed an Earth XI to take on a Mars XI, Ferdinand would be the only player with a chance of making the team.

I'd say Ferdinand is easily the best English player at the moment, and definitely in the top three England players over the last ten years or so.

If tommorrow, we needed an Earth XI to take on a Mars XI, Ferdinand would be the only player with a chance of making the team.

you may be on your own there.

There isn't really that much competition for that accolade tbf.

Best of '98-'08....Shearer, Beckham, Owen? 

Shearer's peak was before '98 though.

does that matter ?

Yes it does as there's arguably been better English players since then. If it was the '92-'97 Shearer then without doubt.