The second half - what the hell is going wrong?

Dave

Played (all comps): 31

Conceded (total): 53

Conceded (first half): 14

Conceded (second half): 39

Clearly letting in 1.7 goals per game is pretty shocking on its own, but going on for three quarters of the goals we let in are after half time. This obviously includes both Allardyce and Keegan.

What the fuck is going on?

Severe lack of fitness? Simply low on confidence after the half-time teamtalk? Either way, it's bloody worrying, especially considering the two managers between them are supposed to masters at these arts...

FITNESS

(or rather the lack of ...)

Wasn't Allardyce (Pro-Zone, heart monitors and all) meant to be the dog's swingers at getting players fit though?

Obviously not.

I'm assuming you agree on the fitness factor, from that. The question is then, how long will it take us to get fitness to a level that lets us compete in the second half? Seems crazy to think of professional athletes not being able to run around for more than 45mins, no?

FITNESS

Wasn't Allardyce (Pro-Zone, heart monitors and all) meant to be the dog's swingers at getting players fit though?

When Keegan turned up at training, he apparently discovered that Allardyce had ditched all high intensity training, meaning that the only high intensity stuff happenning for the players was on match days.

I guess Allardyce's regime was not suitable for many of our players.

It might be worth pointing out that up until Allardyce left our record was...

Conceded (total): 35

Conceded (first half): 13

Conceded (second half): 22

Since then we've conceded 17 goals, only one of those has been in the second half.

Conceded (first half): 13

Conceded (second half): 22

Since then we've conceded 17 goals, only one of those has been in the second half.

Looks like the Keegan factor has helped about as much as Allardyce's fitness regime then? ;)

Conceded (first half): 14

Conceded (second half): 21

Since then we've conceded 18 goals, all of which have been in the second half.

We were still piss poor second half though. Couple of games (I can notably remember Derby and Birmingham at home off the top of my head) we were level and piling the pressure on until half time, I was totally confident we would beat them out of sight second half, we came out and we had absolutely fuck all to offer. Where we were failing to keep pressure on, now we're conceding. That's just because we're playing better sides.

Said to my mate at half time during the Villa game, "By 55 minutes, it'll be 1-1 for certain." I was wrong, it was 2-1.

Missing Geremi-- he was captain for a reason.

Contributed much more than he is given credit for.

He wasn't involved in the Portsmouth fiasco. And Man City scored two goals after he went off the pitch (Sept). [Though he was certainly there for loss to Liverpool.]

Guest Sniffer

You have to be kidding me. Geremi has been disppointing to say the least and definitely shoudn't be captain. In fact, he didn't deserve a game.

FITNESS

Obviously not.

I'm assuming you agree on the fitness factor, from that. The question is then, how long will it take us to get fitness to a level that lets us compete in the second half? Seems crazy to think of professional athletes not being able to run around for more than 45mins, no?

Seem to remember a Spurs player (Jenas maybe?) saying that their fitness levels have improved under Ramos, so maybe our overall player fitness levels aren't what they could be, that coupled with all our other problems - confidence, midfield, tactics etc all contribute to poor performances.

Guest DarkSchneider

Also our managers barley make changes in the seconed half, last game MON realised what was wrong with his team, made changes and clearly, they worked. while KK just sat in the dugouts doing nothing.

I agree completely. Emre, Faye and viduka should all be used.

at least with roeder and souness we often had a "game of two halves" - but we never knew which one was the shit one - now we need to be 5 up at halftime to win it :D

Its a strange one this, if all goals were conceded late on in the 2nd half I would blame fitness levels for the entire thing, but its more to do with confidence I think, as soon as we concede its panic time and we are all over the shop. We need a in but even a ground out 1-0 would not be enough to gain confidence, we need a 3 or 4- 0 win.