Fair play to Beckham

macphisto

For a person who symbolises a lot that is wrong with football that I won't go into, I just wanted to say credit where credit is due! I had a tour around the Beckham Academy in Greenwich and it really is a fantastic place! Two full size pitches indoors and the other facilities are top notch! Something like 10,000 kids go each year for free coaching, classes on healthy eating and so on! Shame these facilities are not spread out more around the country!!!

Guest RodrigoPalacio

I thought the courses there cost shit loads?

EDIT: Yeah I am, 80 quid for a day?  I'd rather go down the pitz for nowt.

I thought the courses there cost s*** loads?

EDIT: Yeah I am, 80 quid for a day?  I'd rather go down the pitz for nowt.

They might charge for adults and I know they charge for summer courses but during the year they allow 10,000 kids to go for free! Mostly made up of local schools but some come from further afield!

On the topic of David Beckham being lovely...

There's a BMX rider called Stephen Murray who was paralysed neck down in an accident. Despite this being not very big news in the grand scheme of things Beckham spent alot of time with the guy on the phone and apparently put a bit towards the rehabilitation.

Despite this being not very big news in the grand scheme of things Beckham spent alot of time with the guy on the phone and apparently put a bit towards the rehabilitation.

Did he? Wow. I've grown out of the BMXing scene over the last couple of years after being into it in a big way for most of my teenage years but I was still aware of the guy in question and also the crash itself (fell headfirst falling off his bike halfway through a double backflip, sickening thing). Very cool of Beckham to do that - one of the obvious things football has over BMXing is that at the higher levels, especially, players who have their careers cut short by injury have at least some sort of financial security. Professional BMXing does not pay well for all but the best (who'd make money through winning competitions and gaining sponsorships).

For a person who symbolises a lot that is wrong with football that I won't go into , I just wanted to say credit where credit is due! I had a tour around the Beckham Academy in Greenwich and it really is a fantastic place! Two full size pitches indoors and the other facilities are top notch! Something like 10,000 kids go each year for free coaching, classes on healthy eating and so on! Shame these facilities are not spread out more around the country!!!

you must be talking about the money he's earned. Which he is hardly likely to turn down and if someone offers it to you, then you take it.

Because as regards to him being a fantastic professional, role model, and a great ambassador to English football, you have no case.

He is ridiculously wealthy - but he is and always has been a superb, at times sublime, footballer and a much more professional person compared to some of his peers.

I come across people who slate Beckham, but I think the only problem they have is that he played for manure.

He's been a credit to English football, and deserves his 100th cap. If Capello doesn't give it to him, then he's being nothing other than a self centred and spiteful tosser, IMO.

I remember when he used to lead out England with that girl who had the breathing apparatus attached to her and didn't have long to live. He really seemed to care for that girl. I know that a lot of footballers do things like this we don't hear about but there are quite a lot who do nothing or not much either.

Nah. If he'd been a Newcastle player, we'd have idolised the bloke and rightly so.

He's one of the better people in football, I'll give him that.  He came across as a bit of a twat though in his younger years, after he frist broke out around 96 but before he became England captain. 

As far as the England 100th cap thing goes, if he's good enough to be in the team, but if not, then he doesn't deserve a place.  If there's anything the national team needs right now, it's less sentimentality.

He is ridiculously wealthy - but he is and always has been a superb, at times sublime, footballer and a much more professional person compared to some of his peers.

I come across people who slate Beckham, but I think the only problem they have is that he played for manure.

He's been a credit to English football, and deserves his 100th cap. If Capello doesn't give it to him, then he's being nothing other than a self centred and spiteful tosser, IMO.

I remember when he used to lead out England with that girl who had the breathing apparatus attached to her and didn't have long to live. He really seemed to care for that girl. I know that a lot of footballers do things like this we don't hear about but there are quite a lot who do nothing or not much either.

Nah. If he'd been a Newcastle player, we'd have idolised the bloke and rightly so.

Agree 100%.

I've always liked Becks, despite the teams he has played for. :razz:

Guest Hoop Blah

Beckham has been a great ambassador for the sport and I don't really begrudge him his money.  It's not his fault clubs are willing to pay such stupid wages or sponsors value his name so highly.

As professional, hard working and seemingly a decent enough bloke, as he is, I do think he sums up a lot of the style over substance and image concious way that the game has evolved though.

Not sure if thats where the original poster was heading but if it was then I'd agree.  But fair do's to Beckham, he's made the most of his talent unlike so many more talented wasters who've been happy to drift along on massive wages listening to agents and hangers on telling them how great they are...

Beckham's a model pro. Given the money and adulation he's had thrown at him that's even more remarkable in the current era. He's overrated but that's not his fault. Good bloke imo.

For a person who symbolises a lot that is wrong with football that I won't go into , I just wanted to say credit where credit is due! I had a tour around the Beckham Academy in Greenwich and it really is a fantastic place! Two full size pitches indoors and the other facilities are top notch! Something like 10,000 kids go each year for free coaching, classes on healthy eating and so on! Shame these facilities are not spread out more around the country!!!

you must be talking about the money he's earned. Which he is hardly likely to turn down and if someone offers it to you, then you take it.

Because as regards to him being a fantastic professional, role model, and a great ambassador to English football, you have no case.

Haven't got a problem with the money he's earnt and I'll not go into why I think he symbolises a lot that is wrong with football because I don't want to detract from the good work that I see he's done with his academy!

Guest elbee909

Don't understand the Rebecca Loos thing though.  The 'sometimes you fancy a kebab' theory doesn't quite work, as he already seems to have the kebab.

Haven't got a problem with the money he's earnt and I'll not go into why I think he symbolises a lot that is wrong with football because I don't want to detract from the good work that I see he's done with his academy!

fair enough mate, if you mean all the glitz and glamour stuff though then I would agree, but its not really his fault, although he chose to marry a [talentless] spice girl !!!!!

Guest Knightrider

Beckham's a model pro. Given the money and adulation he's had thrown at him that's even more remarkable in the current era. He's overrated but that's not his fault. Good bloke imo.

Agreed.

Agreed, I still think he should have to earn his 100th cap rather than being given it just so he can reach the landmark.

Agreed, I still think he should have to earn his 100th cap rather than being given it just so he can reach the landmark.

Thats exactly right. He (or rather they) made the commercial decision to go to America to the detriment of his top class football career, so if he doesn't get the 100th cap it'll be largely because of that decision.  If he was still playing in Europe he'd have got 100 caps no bother.

• 3 years later...