The prostitutes of football

Benwell Lad

most on here who aren't from up here and without direct ties still ascribe to some form of conditioning "older brother supported them".."my mother supported them" which is understandable.

no doubt there are a few round the country who just latched on when we were succesful.those are as bad as those who follow man utd/arsenal for the only reason "i hit 13 and chesterfield,my local team are crap and i wanted to support a winning team so i chose........."

i wonder if NM can honestly say what would've happened to him had his dad been a vociferous yet plastic liverpool fan....is he 100% certain he wouldn't have followed his dad ?

i had it easy,all my family support NUFC and i live in newcastle and loved football from an early age. no need to twist my arm.

i

no doubt there are a few round the country who just latched on when we were succesful.those are as bad as those who follow man utd/arsenal for the only reason "i hit 13 and chesterfield,my local team are crap and i wanted to support a winning team so i chose........."

I might have misread your post here but I don't really see a huge problem with people who started following us when we were good - as long as they continued and continue to stick with us through the rough times. Nothing worse a 'fan' who drops us the moment we're not as successful as they'd like.

"i hit 13 and chesterfield,my local team are crap and i wanted to support a winning team so i chose........."

Erm...

what...just chose a lower league club at random...... does the hat fit  ? :coolsmiley:

My point is we never actually were successful. :laugh:

"i hit 13 and chesterfield,my local team are crap and i wanted to support a winning team so i chose........."

Erm...

what...just chose a lower league club at random...... does the hat fit  ? :coolsmiley:

playing fantastic football and finishing high up the league is succesful.(i left the gap so people could think of whichever club they wanted in that realm)

Erm...

playing fantastic football and finishing high up the league is succesful.(i left the gap so people could think of whichever club they wanted in that realm)

:thup:

Just read about an Iranian immigrant who moved here from Tehran 7 years ago and loves the city so much he's just changed his name from Ali Reza Sarkhofh to Peter Newcastle.  Is he allowed to support the toon?  It didn't say if he's pogoed yet.

:lol: That's brilliant.

Just read about an Iranian immigrant who moved here from Tehran 7 years ago and loves the city so much he's just changed his name from Ali Reza Sarkhofh to Peter Newcastle.  Is he allowed to support the toon?  It didn't say if he's pogoed yet.

:lol: That's brilliant.

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/8907/3bcbcc61b819f5e71fc9babta3.jpg

MEET Mr Newcastle, the man who loves the city so much, he named himself after it.

Iranian Ali Reza Sarkhofh swapped Tehran for Tyneside seven years ago in the search for a better life.

Now he has celebrated becoming a fully-fledged British citizen by officially changing his name to Peter Newcastle.

The 30-year-old said: “The people of Newcastle feel like my family.

“If you have a son or a daughter or a brother or a sister, they share the same name as you and that’s why it made sense for me to share my name with this great city.”

Peter lives in the heart of the city centre, just a stone’s throw away from two of Tyneside’s most iconic buildings, St James’s Park and the former Brown Ale Brewery site.

Working as a secretary for a print firm, in Elswick, he gets regular lessons on the Geordie dialect from his colleagues.

Peter said: “They have taught me how to say ‘why aye’ and the biggest thing I have learned is everyone is called ‘mate’. My favourite thing about Newcastle is the people. They will always be your friend and always give you such a warm welcome.

“Picking my new name was a thanks to all those people. I contacted my solicitor and had it changed properly with the Home Office. now I am Newcastle through and through.

“The place I like to go the most in the city is the Quayside. I love the bridges and the river.”

Peter grew up in the Iranian capital of Tehran but moved here in 2001. He instantly fell in love with the area and settled in a house in Spring Garden Lane, Arthur’s Hill.

He went on to take college courses in English, door supervision and mentor skills but currently enjoys his job in the city’s West End.

After seven years on Tyneside, he became an official British citizen at a ceremony hosted by the Sheriff of Newcastle Coun David Wood, at the civic centre’s banqueting hall.

He said: “It made me very proud to become a British citizen. it made me feel just wonderful. Newcastle is very different to where I grew up but it is probably just as cold there as it is now at this time of year.”

Peter’s family have now moved to Canada and have been over to visit him. He added: “I have been to see them and they tried to get me to live there but I said ‘no, I love it too much in Newcastle’.

“They have been to stay with me here and they really like the city too.”

Coun Wood said: “The citizenship services are always a delight to do. We try to make a big deal of them because they are really important to the people involved.

“Newcastle embraces all different cultures and in the case of someone like Mr Newcastle, we are just pleased he has made the city his adopted home and wish him every success in the future.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-evening-chronicle/2008/02/21/man-who-s-named-himself-after-his-beloved-toon-72703-20505068/

Anyone who chooses to support a club other than the one of the place they are form is as bad as anyone mentioned above.

Thanks but no thanks I'll stick to supporting Newcastle if it's alright with you.

Hebburn FC are shite.

Anyone who chooses to support a club other than the one of the place they are form is as bad as anyone mentioned above.

Thanks but no thanks I'll stick to supporting Newcastle if it's alright with you.

Hebburn FC are s****.

you know what he means. ie all the hartlepool/carlisle/darlington/york born'n'bredders who  support nufc

A few months ago, the Carlisle chairman said something along the lines of "everyone from Carlisle supports Carlisle". None of the Cumbrians I know do, to a man they support the cockney mancs.

When I see people or worse, kids, walking down Northumberland Street in a Liverpool, Chelsea or Man Utd shirt, I just want to go up to them and ask them what the fuck they're doing.

To be honest, I don't think anyone needs to tell NM, themselves or anyone else on here why they support us. It's clear as the day that if you still follow us, and is still in despair after each loss, you clearly are as much of a Newcastle-fan as any local. And I'm saying this as someone who would qualify as having real reasons to follow this club.

Guest Knightrider

I actually agree with NM to a point. Sure if you have Geordie blood in you or have some kind of personal link to the area, by all means follow Newcastle United. But I've never been able to understand why someone say from Carlisle who has no ties whatsoever to Newcastle, would choose to follow any team but Carlisle. That said, it doesn't make people a lesser fan or anything like that if they do happen to come from Carlisle but support Newcastle. The saddest thing for me is that for many local clubs they will have lost generations of fans and you can see a day when half of them simply disappear. That says more about the world we live in more than the game itself btw, although the two are interlinked.

I don't care what anyone says, a Carlisle born Newcastle supporter can never truly feel the way a Geordie does where his/her football team is concerned because a football club, especially in places like Newcastle, is more than a football club, it's more a local pride thing.

For example, when we play Sunderland, has fuck all to do with football really. On such days, you're missing out if you are not from Newcastle or connected to the place somehow, and that's a huge part of the game.

Guest Knightrider

Definitely agree on the Sunderland thing.

And it's those days, those feelings, that best describe what supporting your local club is all about. As a kid growing up I think it's all about the football mainly, hence why a lot of kids will hero worship players rather than clubs, often others' players from different clubs, hence kids wearing Rooney, Ronaldo et al strips, Geordie kids. But as you grow up you lose all that and become entrenched in the whole thing to a point where actual football is irrelevant to the whole point of supporting your local club. That is what I would hate to lose as a football fan, that sense of feeling. The day that happens, will be the day when football is just another form of entertainment like Eastenders or something. Something I can take or leave. Gloryhunters especially, well I actually feel sorry for them, they don't love football or have missed out on that passage of rites thing, where the game gets you and makes you fall in love with it. I'm often reminded in coaching circles "let the kids fall in love with the game = hooked for life" (i.e. half the battle). It's no coincidence that gloryhunters come and go and can swap clubs or take it or leave it. As a football fan, these people really are missing the whole point which is just sad I think. Kind of like drinking beer but not getting drunk. What's the fucking point then?

I'm finding there's more and more people growing up who like football, will talk to you about it, always make an effort to see games on tv, love Pro Evo etc - but don't actually really support anyone. I don't see the point. Is it just me that's noticed this?

Yawnarific.

NM is right