Sell the f*cking lot

Guest Erich von Manstein

Guest DCI Gene Hunt

Keep Given, Harper, Beye, Taylor as a squad player.  The side needs rebuilding from top to bottom.  This is the worst Toon team since we got in the Prem.

Guest robertbobo

Right this should get everyone started. Taylor made two basic errors and cost us two goals on Saturday. Not for the first time I might add and don't even get me started on the number of penalties he has given away. The only difference between Taylor and Bramble is their colour.

The confidence is shot to pieces, and heads have dropped. The squad is nowhere near as bad as people are suggesting.

We qualified for the champions league with fucking Dabizas and O'Brien at the back FFS... no way we need to sell as many players as some people are saying.

With SJP crammed with numpties jeering every mistake, no wonder the lads are having a hard time.

Right this should get everyone started. Taylor made two basic errors and cost us two goals on Saturday. Not for the first time I might add and don't even get me started on the number of penalties he has given away. The only difference between Taylor and Bramble is their colour.

And the fact that Bramble looked world class about 3 games a season!  ???

How many pens has he given away in his career here?

I'd sell/release:

Carr, Cacapa, Duff, Ameobi and Ramage.

Add Owen, Barton, Geremi, Viduka, Butt & possibly Emre.

This time 4 months ago Owen would have been on the list, but he's approaching the peak of his career so we must keep him. With Martins and Owen, I also see Viduka as a necessity, at least until January. I still have a lot of hope for Barton and Geremi as for Butt, I can't see him being a great loss. I wouldn't want to lose Emre.

I'd sell/release:

Carr, Cacapa, Duff, Ameobi and Ramage.

Add Owen, Barton, Geremi, Viduka, Butt & possibly Emre.

This time 4 months ago Owen would have been on the list, but he's approaching the peak of his career so we must keep him. With Martins and Owen, I also see Viduka as a necessity, at least until January. I still have a lot of hope for Barton and Geremi as for Butt, I can't see him being a great loss. I wouldn't want to lose Emre.

You reckon?

Not wanting to get all knee jerk about things I have been quietly pondering our options and my conclusion is as follows:

When Keegan was here the first time around Newcastle were probably 2nd or maybe 3rd most powerful team in the Premier League, based on finances / resources, stadium, crowd etc.  In the intervening years the rest have caught up making us very much an also ran type of club in terms of attractiveness to potential new signings.  Teams like Spurs, Portsmouth, Man City, Everton, Aston Villa and Blackburn are possibly more attractive to join that us at present.

All the money in the world is not going to buy us a team to win us the league because all we would get would be a team of Vidukas who are here for the money and nothing else, we have nothing to offer the top top players.  We need a team that has heart and desire, a team of Alan Shearers if you like.  There is no point is quoting figures like £100m or £150m as a kitty for new players if you can't attract the right players who will come here for the right reasons.

At best we can hope to take the core of our current team and bring in 5 or 6 players to compliment them on the field, in other words good solid premier league standard players who can take us into the top half of the table and keep us there for a couple of unremarkable seasons, no dramas, win the games we should win etc etc.  Once we are stable we can then look to spend the £'s to bring in 2 or 3 more players of the highest quality we can attract so that we can push on for European qualification.

Individually the majority of our players are bloody good players, some have played at the highest standard either here or abroad, we have Champions League players, Internationals in every position and at least one Premier League winner.  There is something missing, that to me is the will to play at their best every week and the confidence to do something that might not come off but, if it did could change a game.

I have faith in Keegan still, the league fixtures have been evil since he joined us and I doubt that many teams would have had a better record given the same run of games, I would have been delighted with 5 points, accepted 4, maybe even 3.  As it is we have taken 1 point but, few would have done much better.  We have a period of matches coming up where we can amass some points, who knows - maybe in a months time we will be all be saying what a good squad we have afterall, and wondering who will have to move aside when new players arrive.........................

Funny game football!!

The confidence is shot to pieces, and heads have dropped. The squad is nowhere near as bad as people are suggesting.

We qualified for the champions league with f****** Dabizas and O'Brien at the back FFS... no way we need to sell as many players as some people are saying.

With SJP crammed with numpties jeering every mistake, no wonder the lads are having a hard time.

Good post, I agree with that. It's about teamwork, confidence and fitness. We did seem to keep going a lot longer against Man Utd, so I'm hoping the rest will come given time.

It was interesting (and painful) to watch the Man Utd game as a yardstick to see how far we have to go (and its bloody far), but they have just hammered Arsenal recently too.

Also, good post Pinkeye.

You're never as good as your biggest win nor as bad as your worst defeat.

For us the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

We qualified for the champions league with f****** Dabizas and O'Brien at the back FFS... no way we need to sell as many players as some people are saying.

No team in the Premiership will qualify for the CL with defenders like Nike & Andy ever again.

I would dump Given & Harper, an try & steal Carson from under the noses of Villa. He is Northern lad looking to settle down with kids he would only be the A69 (& ickle bit more) away from his family. Milner was his roommate @ Leeds, he could tap him up for us.