We need to spend £ 150 million..............

Rob W

Do you believe its right to get rid of Owen and Given in the summer? or should we be building a team around these guys and writing off how shite everyone has been this season?

I can't believe anyone would be mad enough to build a team around a player like Michael Owen, who looks a. distinctly like he doesn't give a shit and b. past it.

I'm with you Brum. 100%.

I only hope that it's not too late for Newcastle to replicate the revival seen at Villa since O'Neill's arrived. If we can do that I'd be happy enough.

Every player we have signed over the last few years seems to fail completely.

That's what I was saying earlier.

Any quality signing is dragged into the torpor rather than pulling the squad out of it.  Instill a bit of belief, then make expensive additions to a club on the up.

It's like they say about getting your hair cut, you should always go when it looks it's best.

Eh?  :lol:

If you go for a haircut when it looks s***, your barber thinks you like your hair to look s***, and gives you a s*** haircut.

:pow:

Surely you go to the barbers to get your hair to stop looking s***?

Nope.

You need to be more pro-active than that.

Well what if you go to your barbers while its looking good to have it cut, and the barber does a s*** job and the end result is that it now looks s***, despite not being s*** before you had it cut?

Serves you right for having a 'trophy' haircut.

Just because you spend £50 on a haircut doesnt mean you are going to pull!

Hey my hair was in a right state after my last barber got at it.  I'm planning to "spend big" when getting a hair cut next, probably around £150 in the summer.  Surely my hair will lead to quality birds jumping in to bed with me...

Give it a go, everything else has failed. ;)

Well the new barber I'm using actually used to cut my hair a little over 10 years ago.  Was happy with how it looked then and so did the ladies, so perhaps it's good move.

Do you believe its right to get rid of Owen and Given in the summer? or should we be building a team around these guys and writing off how shite everyone has been this season?

I can't believe anyone would be mad enough to build a team around a player like Michael Owen, who looks a. distinctly like he doesn't give a shit and b. past it.

I worry that his name/reputation will convince Keegan to give it another go rather than move on.

I think he probably will, to be honest, and - perversely - in a way, i would understand why, he is a big, big name still. It'd still be the wrong decision, mind.

If anyone demonstrates the folly of thinking spending huge amounts of money is a guaranteed short cut to success then it must surely be Owen.

Any quality signing is dragged into the torpor rather than pulling the squad out of it.  Instill a bit of belief, then make expensive additions to a club on the up.

It's like they say about getting your hair cut, you should always go when it looks it's best.

If you go for a haircut when it looks s***, your barber thinks you like your hair to look s***, and gives you a s*** haircut.

Nope.

Well what if you go to your barbers while its looking good to have it cut, and the barber does a s*** job and the end result is that it now looks s***, despite not being s*** before you had it cut?

Hey my hair was in a right state after my last barber got at it.  I'm planning to "spend big" when getting a hair cut next, probably around £150 in the summer.  Surely my hair will lead to quality birds jumping in to bed with me...

Well the new barber I'm using actually used to cut my hair a little over 10 years ago.  Was happy with how it looked then and so did the ladies, so perhaps it's good move.

or maybe you'll just get a REALLY out of date haircut that people will just piss themselves laughing at...

I worry that his name/reputation will convince Keegan to give it another go rather than move on.

I think he probably will, to be honest, and - perversely - in a way, i would understand why, he is a big, big name still. It'd still be the wrong decision, mind.

If anyone demonstrates the folly of thinking spending huge amounts of money is a guaranteed short cut to success then it must surely be Owen.

:nods:

Said the same earlier.

Guest Knightrider

Is it just about instilling belief? I can't imagine Keegan has been doing anything other than trying frantically to instil belief. What you have to ask yourself is why he's making absolutely no difference to the standard of play now.

"There's something rotten in the state of Denmark..."

In football results are all that matter. KK can say whatever he likes to whoever he likes but it won't do much good until results start coming in to restore concious belief, i.e. in reality. I also reckon a great deal of players at our club have zero faith in one another and when there is no trust or no confidence in those around you, well, you're f***** and that's exactly what has happened to us. It runs deeper of course and other factors have played their part but those are the crux of the problems in my opinion, that and the genuine lack of ability in the ranks.

Get rid of some of the "stars" and get back to basics. To sort the morale issue out, we may very well need to do the unthinkable and get rid of certain players who are seen as the mark of an "ambitious" club. We may need to say goodbye to Given, Owen and others before we can have a hope in hell of righting this ship.

I agree. I love Given but the club's mediocrity has finally sunk it's teeth into him and he's now performing to that level instead of above it like he always used to. A great shame because he's been a great player for us and a great pro. Owen is finished as a top-class player and impairs us a great deal in an attacking sense, he's just not good enough simply and I'd get rid tomorrow.

Thankfully I think KK will do what is necessary and won't be afraid to get rid of anyone. I think in the summer there will be a lot of coming and going and some big shocks in store for people. Fans and players alike.

Get rid would be my vote. Shay's best days for us are behind him, he has far too many bad habits and we need a hungry fresh 'keeper with a whole career ahead of him to cultivate a persona between the sticks for himself. Shay is too died in the wool and too battle weary to become that much needed presence behind the back-four. As for Owen, his only real outstanding quality is his positional instinct which will always enable him to score goals but it will come at a huge expense to the rest of the team, most notably those behind him in midfield who will have to play a very one dimensional game to provide the kind of service that will get goals out of Owen. We need much more, we need mobility, physical presence, pace and stamina. You can't build a team around such players, you can try and accomdate them or include them from time to time but the way I look at is I'd rather see their places taken up by hungry, fresh players with something to prove and gain, players with their whole careers ahead of them. Players who can decide what kind of players they become or the success they can achieve by what they have to do rather than what they've done previously. Shay has had his time where as Owen has wasted his. Time to move on, for club and player.

Nope.

Hey my hair was in a right state after my last barber got at it.  I'm planning to "spend big" when getting a hair cut next, probably around £150 in the summer.  Surely my hair will lead to quality birds jumping in to bed with me...

Well the new barber I'm using actually used to cut my hair a little over 10 years ago.  Was happy with how it looked then and so did the ladies, so perhaps it's good move.

or maybe you'll just get a REALLY out of date haircut that people will just piss themselves laughing at...

actually I just found out he hasn't cut anyones hair for 3 years.  Bad move or not?

Nope.

actually I just found out he hasn't cut anyones hair for 3 years.  Bad move or not?

Sounds like you'd be better off with a professional shearer...

Is it just about instilling belief? I can't imagine Keegan has been doing anything other than trying frantically to instil belief. What you have to ask yourself is why he's making absolutely no difference to the standard of play now.

In football results are all that matter. KK can say whatever he likes to whoever he likes but it won't do much good until results start coming in to restore concious belief, i.e. in reality. I also reckon a great deal of players at our club have zero faith in one another and when there is no trust or no confidence in those around you, well, you're f***** and that's exactly what has happened to us. It runs deeper of course and other factors have played their part but those are the crux of the problems in my opinion, that and the genuine lack of ability in the ranks.

Get rid of some of the "stars" and get back to basics. To sort the morale issue out, we may very well need to do the unthinkable and get rid of certain players who are seen as the mark of an "ambitious" club. We may need to say goodbye to Given, Owen and others before we can have a hope in hell of righting this ship.

I agree. I love Given but the club's mediocrity has finally sunk it's teeth into him and he's now performing to that level instead of above it like he always used to. A great shame because he's been a great player for us and a great pro. Owen is finished as a top-class player and impairs us a great deal in an attacking sense, he's just not good enough simply and I'd get rid tomorrow.

Thankfully I think KK will do what is necessary and won't be afraid to get rid of anyone. I think in the summer there will be a lot of coming and going and some big shocks in store for people. Fans and players alike.

Do you believe its right to get rid of Owen and Given in the summer? or should we be building a team around these guys and writing off how s**** everyone has been this season?

Get rid would be my vote. Shay's best days for us are behind him, he has far too many bad habits and we need a hungry fresh 'keeper with a whole career ahead of him to cultivate a persona between the sticks for himself. Shay is too died in the wool and too battle weary to become that much needed presence behind the back-four. As for Owen, his only real outstanding quality is his positional instinct which will always enable him to score goals but it will come at a huge expense to the rest of the team, most notably those behind him in midfield who will have to play a very one dimensional game to provide the kind of service that will get goals out of Owen. We need much more, we need mobility, physical presence, pace and stamina. You can't build a team around such players, you can try and accomdate them or include them from time to time but the way I look at is I'd rather see their places taken up by hungry, fresh players with something to prove and gain, players with their whole careers ahead of them. Players who can decide what kind of players they become or the success they can achieve by what they have to do rather than what they've done previously. Shay has had his time where as Owen has wasted his. Time to move on, for club and player.

So let's say Given and Owen go.  Who would you bring in to replace them with? what two players would you want here that we could get, that would fit in and play the style of football you would like us to play?

It's too early for Krul, so I'm assuming were looking to spend big on a keeper too.  

Guest Knightrider

If KK has a chance to sign a better player, or someone he feels will be more beneficial to the team and the way he intends to get us playing, Owen will make way. He may not peddle him but he will drop him or have him fighting for his place like everyone else which will be based on merit. I don't think Keegan will have been impressed with Owen, a player he has never really rated even when he was in his pomp. I can see the two parting ways, club and player. It wouldn't surprise me to see Sven come in for him and for us to take a loss.

Nope.

actually I just found out he hasn't cut anyones hair for 3 years.  Bad move or not?

Sounds like you'd be better off with a professional shearer...

I've seen a shearer on the telly that I want.

Do you believe its right to get rid of Owen and Given in the summer? or should we be building a team around these guys and writing off how s**** everyone has been this season?

I can't believe anyone would be mad enough to build a team around a player like Michael Owen, who looks a. distinctly like he doesn't give a s*** and b. past it.

If KK has a chance to sign a better player, or someone he feels will be more beneficial to the team and the way he intends to get us playing, Owen will make way. He may not peddle him but he will drop him or have him fighting for his place like everyone else which will be based on merit. I don't think Keegan will have been impressed with Owen, a player he has never really rated even when he was in his pomp. I can see the two parting ways, club and player. It wouldn't surprise me to see Sven come in for him and for us to take a loss.

I'm not so sure.  I mean he made Owen captain, plus Owen has scored a couple of late (and more which have been unfairly ruled off-side).  Plus he's a good selling point for bringing players in... especially when you don't have European football. 

Guest Knightrider

So let's say Given and Owen go.  Who would you bring in to replace them with? what two players would you want here that we could get, that would fit in and play the style of football you would like us to play?

It's too early for Krul, so I'm assuming were looking to spend big on a keeper too. 

Regarding a replacement for Given, not necessarily no. Someone with different qualities and a different presence between the sticks could make all the difference. Who and how much I don't know. Maybe Harper  can step up and make the position his own.

The same applies to Owen too. We don't have to go out and spend £16m to replace him. Again someone with different qualities and a different presence could make a huge difference. Who and how much, again I don't know. I haven't really thought that much about it.

Can I retract the hair analogy, despite it's relevence I'm losing the will to live here.

So are you saying it's now a receding hair line we're seeing from you? :lol:

would it be pro-active to shave it off if its receding? or to buy a wig?

Guest Knightrider

I can't believe anyone would be mad enough to build a team around a player like Michael Owen, who looks a. distinctly like he doesn't give a s*** and b. past it.

I'm not so sure.  I mean he made Owen captain, plus Owen has scored a couple of late (and more which have been unfairly ruled off-side).  Plus he's a good selling point for bringing players in... especially when you don't have European football. 

I personally believe his decision to make Owen Captain was more of a peace gesture and to thwart the media from causing trouble between the two and their much publicized difference of opinions relating back to their time together with England. That and to motivate Owen, a player who Keegan would need onside to make his job a little easier and to fire in the goals to take us through to the end of the season. Hasn't quite happened like that but I would hazard a good guess those are very good reasons behind his decision making. Make no mistake about it, KK can be very ruthless. He got rid of the player (David Kelly) who saved us from relegation and whose goals helped fire us to promotion because he didn't believe he was good enough for the Premier League or quite what he had in mind as to how he'd have us playing once we got there. He also sold fans' favourite Andy Cole to our then rivals Manchester United because he wanted to change the way we played which would mean bringing in a player with those different qualities and a different presence we talked about. Sir Les. And on that subject, KK took his number 9 shirt off him and handed it to Shearer, which is something Shearer stipulated if he was to sign for us. Don't be fooled by the nice guy image and the media persona.

I personally believe his decision to make Owen Captain was more of a peace gesture and to thwart the media from causing trouble between the two and their much publicized difference of opinions relating back to their time together with England. That and to motivate Owen, a player who Keegan would need onside to make his job a little easier and to fire in the goals to take us through to the end of the season. Hasn't quite happened like that but I would hazard a good guess those are very good reasons behind his decision making. Make no mistake about it, KK can be very ruthless. He got rid of the player (David Kelly) who saved us from relegation and whose goals helped fire us to promotion because he didn't believe he was good enough for the Premier League or quite what he had in mind as to how he'd have us playing once we got there. He also sold fans' favourite Andy Cole to our then rivals Manchester United because he wanted to change the way we played which would mean bringing in a player with those different qualities and a different presence we talked about. Sir Les. And on that subject, KK took his number 9 shirt off him and handed it to Shearer, which is something Shearer stipulated if he was to sign for us. Don't be fooled by the nice guy image and the media persona.

None of which means anything. History doesn't always repeat itself you know.

None of which means anything. History doesn't always repeat itself you know.

true  but he does have a reputation for being cute and cuddly to the cameras but being quite ruthless with the playing staff at all his clubs.

Nope.

Well what if you go to your barbers while its looking good to have it cut, and the barber does a shit job and the end result is that it now looks shit, despite not being shit before you had it cut?

There's always that danger.

At least you reduce it if you turn up with your hair looking like you want it too.

Next week:  Belt and shoes, why they should never clash.

Fancy a bit of hoovering HF?

We're playing catch up. Regardless of what we've spent in the past not spending significantly very soon will see us falling further behind.

People are talking like they never leave the house without an umbrella cause they got rained on once. [HappyFace/]

We're playing catch up. Regardless of what we've spent in the past not spending significantly very soon will see us falling further behind.

People are talking like they never leave the house without an umbrella cause they got rained on once. [HappyFace/]

I never take a brolly because I'm not a ponce.

I've got faith in Keegan's investment nouse, and cut-throat approach to his players (see Andy Cole).