With Owen's contract running out..

Unbelievable
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He's a god over there.

Has his own manga and s*** iirc.

He'd earn a shitload.

It was good enough for Lineker. It was good enough for Wenger. Why not Owen as well? If it meant we recouped our losses/outlay etc and got shot of a bad apple in terms of the negative effect he's possibly had on morale with his egocentric narcissistic ways, then good. f*** off Micky. Tata!

Hasn't all evidence coming from the club been the opposite of this?  Chris Mort even said Owen has had a wonderful effect on the dressing room as captain.  New signing Kadar said in an interview that Owen was nothing like he expected of a major international start.  All evidence from people who have actually met Michael Owen is that he's not any sort of "big time Charlie" and is actually very grounded, very friendly, and quite popular amongst his fellow players.  I'm assuming you've not actually met Michael Owen, so I'll take the word of those who have, thanks muchly. If this last run of games is Owen sowing dissension among the ranks, I'll take it.  The last ten matches, barring Everton, showed a real team spirit amongst the players, which I was very happy to finally see back at Newcastle.

Huffy. I did say "possibly" - and it was purely conjecture on my part that perhaps he had the propensity to be as much a force for negativity as positivity...but your points are all well-made and I agree it's been good to see more team spirit back in the past few weeks.

Offer him a new contract now, if he doesn't take it then try and sell him and replace him with Saviola.

Saviola has probably signed a 6 year contract with FC Spanish club last month.

Aren't there a bunch of England friendlies over the summer?

I would wait till they are all out of the way before giving him the new contract tbh.

If he isn't guaranteed to be fit for the start of the new season then forget about it.

I would wait till they are all out of the way before giving him the new contract tbh.

If he isn't guaranteed to be fit for the start of the new season then forget about it.

USA and Trinidad & Tango first up.

Get him tied up and take the insurance if owt happens.

USA and Trinidad & Tango first up.

Could you just imagine him getting a new deal prior to these games with Keegan waxing lyrical etc etc

Then Owen going down clutching his knee in one of these meaningless friendlies.

Would put a downer on the whole summer and we would once again be going into the season talking about missing Owen.

Are we sure we should be giving this guy a new deal? Not sure I could take that crap happening again.

Owen staying btw, and signing a new deal, will be a big thing for this club and more importantly the manager. Lose Owen and we'll lose KK, not in the form of walking away or being sacked, but believing his employees have what it takes and as to whether he can really work for them. Owen will be our most important signing of the season if we can tie him to a new deal, mark my words. Fingers crossed.

PS I'm not arsed whether we keep him or not in terms of him as a player, doesn't deserve his massive wages, has done fuck all for us and I'm not convinced he's the answer whether it be in midfield or up front, and he's only going to get older and his fitness.... still a liability for me. But KK wants him and that's all that counts, I back his judgments and needs 100% even if they clash with my own thoughts. In this case I'm quite happy to just play the fan and leave all that to the gaffer.

I don't think that's a great approach to be honest. KK's best assets have always been man-management and loyalty. Great attributes in themselves, but it means you can become blinded to deficencies. Probably why Duff and Smith got picked far longer than they should have been.

If Owen can get better than£4-5m a year somewhere else then maybe we should let him go so he can better himself?

I've just came back from Barcelona, and whenever I mentioned the fact I was from Newcastle to anyone, Michael Owen was the first thing people would say in reply. He's a huge player for us not just in terms of ability, where surely he's proven over the last 10 games or so that he's hugely important to us, but also in terms of our profile. Selling Owen would be a crippling blow to Keegan in terms of trying to attract players to this club. Whether people on here like it or not, he's Newcastle's icon these days internationally...not Keegan, not Ashley, not Martins, etc.

Think we should keep him at all costs tbh, especially as we're meant to only be looking at 8 million for him. He has scored 1 in 2 at NUFC (admittedly in not many games) and has done that for his entire career. A proven goalscorer like that will not come near us - his replacement will not be the same calibre, and will probably cost more than 8m.

After Owen's last experience abroad we will probably be selling to one of our supposed rivals for the top 6. I dont think the likes of Villa, Everton and Blackburn have a striker who guarentees them a goal every other game in the Premier League, if they did and we didnt they would be miles ahead of us. The past shows us that selling your best players gets you nowhere.

Where would we be this year without his 7 goals in 9 games at the end of the season? Probably at least 4 places further down the table, if not worse, (doesnt that equate to £2 million)

I dont see 100k+ as a waste of money for a striker of his proven ability, thats about the going rate. 50k+ for the likes of Smith and Duff is a waste, thats where we should be looking to cut the wage bill.

And seeing as we've just lost out to Spurs for Modric and Woodgate, what sort of message does it send out losing Owen to someone like Everton, or whoever it would be.

And as Keegan is clearly desperate to keep Owen, and the board should be supporting the manager wherever it can, I think the injuries are a risk we have to take.

Think we should keep him at all costs tbh, especially as we're meant to only be looking at 8 million for him. He has scored 1 in 2 at NUFC (admittedly in not many games) and has done that for his entire career. A proven goalscorer like that will not come near us - his replacement will not be the same calibre, and will probably cost more than 8m.

After Owen's last experience abroad we will probably be selling to one of our supposed rivals for the top 6. I dont think the likes of Villa, Everton and Blackburn have a striker who guarentees them a goal every other game in the Premier League, if they did and we didnt they would be miles ahead of us. The past shows us that selling your best players gets you nowhere.

Where would we be this year without his 7 goals in 9 games at the end of the season? Probably at least 4 places further down the table, if not worse, (doesnt that equate to £2 million)

I dont see 100k+ as a waste of money for a striker of his proven ability, thats about the going rate. 50k+ for the likes of Smith and Duff is a waste, thats where we should be looking to cut the wage bill.

And seeing as we've just lost out to Spurs for Modric and Woodgate, what sort of message does it send out losing Owen to someone like Everton, or whoever it would be.

And as Keegan is clearly desperate to keep Owen, and the board should be supporting the manager wherever it can, I think the injuries are a risk we have to take.

NOBODY SHOULD BE KEPT AT ALL COSTS.....EVER

NOBODY SHOULD BE KEPT AT ALL COSTS.....EVER

Even Relegation, which would probably finish the club for several years...???

After Owen's last experience abroad we will probably be selling to one of our supposed rivals for the top 6. I dont think the likes of Villa, Everton and Blackburn have a striker who guarentees them a goal every other game in the Premier League, if they did and we didnt they would be miles ahead of us.

Are any of those clubs going to pay Owen £6m a season which he is currently getting at Newcastle? I'd be surprised if that was the case.

After Owen's last experience abroad we will probably be selling to one of our supposed rivals for the top 6. I dont think the likes of Villa, Everton and Blackburn have a striker who guarentees them a goal every other game in the Premier League, if they did and we didnt they would be miles ahead of us.

Are any of those clubs going to pay Owen £6m a season which he is currently getting at Newcastle? I'd be surprised if that was the case.

Of course they're not, but they might match the £80k we're alledgedly trying to reduce his wages to, in which case, does he stay here, or go to someone a couple of years ahead of us like Everton and play European football again.

Guest NorthernSoul

I think he'll probably see out his last year then leave on a free.

Far more financialy beneficial for him...

Owen should be kept, maybe not at all costs, but certainly no attempt should be made to cut his wages.

Owen's value to us goes way beyond his contribution in the team. If he signs he will be a talisman, in the same way Shearer was in helping us sign Owen in the first place. He has status is the modern game - more even than Keegan has. If we sell Owen, even to Man Utd., we are firmly back in the bad old days of selling our best players - Beardsley Gascoigne etc,. If Owen decides himself to go then fair enough, but we should not be trying to take the piss over a new contract.

Of course they're not, but they might match the £80k we're alledgedly trying to reduce his wages to, in which case, does he stay here, or go to someone a couple of years ahead of us like Everton and play European football again.

If the only way to keep Owen here is to pay him more than anyone else is willing to, then something is wrong. Personally speaking, I think some sort of compromise will be reached, but I wouldn't say it's an absolute necessity to tie Owen down at stupidly high wages. He is injury record isn't great and life without Owen doesn't seem impossible for other clubs above us in the table.

If the only way to keep Owen here is to pay him more than anyone else is willing to, then something is wrong. Personally speaking, I think some sort of compromise will be reached, but I wouldn't say it's an absolute necessity to tie Owen down at stupidly high wages. He is injury record isn't great and life without Owen doesn't seem impossible for other clubs above us in the table.

Of course it's not impossible, but imagine Owen at West Ham alongside Ashton, or at Man City, or at Everton, or even at Aston Villa. Pretty much every club between 5th and Spurs would improve dramatically with Owen in their side. I don't think we can afford to sell him.

"As a result, although Owen’s basic pay packet could be slashed he is unlikely to lose out, with the rest of his income topped up by an image rights deal, appearance fees and goal bonuses."

would be good for all if he takes 80k per and then top ups......certainly i have no probs with strikers earning big goal bonuses!!  30k per goal in league i guess  10k in domestic cups  20k in uefa  50k a goal in champ league!

sounds like a plan))