Newcastle V Spurs in China?

Greg

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2261290,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=7

Tottenham Hotspur have held preliminary discussions with Newcastle United about playing a pre-season friendly in China in the weeks before the Beijing Olympic Games get under way on August 8.

Although the talks were far from wide-ranging, and the prospect of the match being staged at this stage are slim, the move reflects the desire of Premier League clubs to make in-roads into far-flung markets.

The league's proposal for Game 39 - unanimously supported by the club chairman - might have been placed into cold storage, principally because of Fifa's objections, but the pre-season this year promises exotic friendlies.

Discussions have taken place between several top-flight clubs about the possibility of staging matches overseas and, with an eye on Game 39, the league will follow the ventures closely.

Tottenham have been cleared to begin planning for their pre-season because they have already qualified for the Uefa Cup, after their Carling Cup final success against Chelsea last Sunday, and they will have no distractions in the summer, such as the Intertoto Cup.

Their links with Newcastle stem from the friendship between their former vice-chairman, Paul Kemsley, and Mike Ashley, the St James' Park owner, and others have developed since. Dennis Wise and Tony Jimenez, recently appointed as Newcastle directors, are close friends of Gus Poyet, the Tottenham assistant manager, and Chris Hughton, the former Tottenham assistant manager, has joined Kevin Keegan's coaching staff at Newcastle. Jimenez had previously worked with Ashley and Kemsley.

Ashley's company, Sport Direct, has bought a stake in the ITAT Group, the Chinese retail company - he intends to invest up to £20m - and Tottenham also have ties to China through their shirt sponsors Mansion, the online gambling operator.

Poyet has revealed the club could "try to do a deal" for the Espanyol pair Dani Jarque and Carlos Kameni. The Cameroon goalkeeper Kameni is on the director of football Damien Comolli's list to challenge Paul Robinson and Radek Cerny for the No1 shirt, and the Spanish defender Jarque, 24, is also being watched.

The Spurs manager, Juande Ramos, knows both players from his time managing in La Liga, and Poyet predicts a summer swoop could happen. "The club is following them with a view to strengthening our team," Poyet said. "We haven't yet taken a definite decision to bring them in, but we will try to do a deal in the future."

Guest LucaAltieri

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2261290,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=7

Tottenham Hotspur have held preliminary discussions with Newcastle United about playing a pre-season friendly in China in the weeks before the Beijing Olympic Games get under way on August 8.

Although the talks were far from wide-ranging, and the prospect of the match being staged at this stage are slim, the move reflects the desire of Premier League clubs to make in-roads into far-flung markets.

The league's proposal for Game 39 - unanimously supported by the club chairman - might have been placed into cold storage, principally because of Fifa's objections, but the pre-season this year promises exotic friendlies.

Discussions have taken place between several top-flight clubs about the possibility of staging matches overseas and, with an eye on Game 39, the league will follow the ventures closely.

Tottenham have been cleared to begin planning for their pre-season because they have already qualified for the Uefa Cup, after their Carling Cup final success against Chelsea last Sunday, and they will have no distractions in the summer, such as the Intertoto Cup.

Their links with Newcastle stem from the friendship between their former vice-chairman, Paul Kemsley, and Mike Ashley, the St James' Park owner, and others have developed since. Dennis Wise and Tony Jimenez, recently appointed as Newcastle directors, are close friends of Gus Poyet, the Tottenham assistant manager, and Chris Hughton, the former Tottenham assistant manager, has joined Kevin Keegan's coaching staff at Newcastle. Jimenez had previously worked with Ashley and Kemsley.

Ashley's company, Sport Direct, has bought a stake in the ITAT Group, the Chinese retail company - he intends to invest up to £20m - and Tottenham also have ties to China through their shirt sponsors Mansion, the online gambling operator.

Poyet has revealed the club could "try to do a deal" for the Espanyol pair Dani Jarque and Carlos Kameni. The Cameroon goalkeeper Kameni is on the director of football Damien Comolli's list to challenge Paul Robinson and Radek Cerny for the No1 shirt, and the Spanish defender Jarque, 24, is also being watched.

The Spurs manager, Juande Ramos, knows both players from his time managing in La Liga, and Poyet predicts a summer swoop could happen. "The club is following them with a view to strengthening our team," Poyet said. "We haven't yet taken a definite decision to bring them in, but we will try to do a deal in the future."

Blatantly working together to break into the top four.  :frantic:

Might just be me but are Spurs not tapping up Kameni and Jarque the way they are going about, if they haven't already made a bid which the quotes suggest then surely this ain't right.

Might just be me but are Spurs not tapping up Kameni and Jarque the way they are going about, if they haven't already made a bid which the quotes suggest then surely this ain't right.

They can talk about them as much as they like, the only rule about tapping up is speaking to the player without the permission of his club iirc.

fair enough then, still seems a bit unnecessary, not the best way to go about your business especially with the Ramos saga so fresh in the memory but if it works then fair enough i guess.

fair enough then, still seems a bit unnecessary, not the best way to go about your business especially with the Ramos saga so fresh in the memory but if it works then fair enough i guess.

No it isn't, Poyet seems to do it a lot and I'm sure he wouldn't be happy if other teams were openly speaking about Spurs players as transfer targets trying to unsettle them.

No it isn't, Poyet seems to do it a lot and I'm sure he wouldn't be happy if other teams were openly speaking about Spurs players as transfer targets trying to unsettle them.

Probably because the bloke's a Grade-A cock. Yes I'm bitter.

Probably because the bloke's a Grade-A cock. Yes I'm bitter.

Twat always scored against us.

Why would we go to Asia? we arnt Man Utd, just go to Spain or somewhere or host a big enough name at SJP

We've been out there before tbh and the Premier League is massive over there so it's more than possible that we will be looking to go out there.

Guest LucaAltieri

Why would we go to Asia? we arnt Man Utd, just go to Spain or somewhere or host a big enough name at SJP

Pick up a few more fans, flog some shirts.

If Bolton can get them into a stadium, we can.

Guest LucaAltieri

Checks flights  :shifty:

You will have to deliver a few more newspapers first, mate.

Aye, it's pretty expensive , not that i do papers like  :lol:

Leaflets?

Cheapest one i found was with KLM, £1137. Thats staying for a week, as i don't think you'd just want to pop to China for a day  :lol:

Jesus I've found flights from china to Amsterdam round trip 900Euros 

Guest Saint Andy

you can go for about £400 from EDI, try omega travel, don't book direct with the airline. if you're a student tell them.

FWIW, I've been told that the proposed friendly in Beijing just prior to the Olympics is very close to being sorted out.  Ashley wants it to open more opportunities for sportswear sales, Spurs want it for the benefit of the sponsors, Mansion, and both clubs want it to expand their 'brand'.

FWIW, I've been told that the proposed friendly in Beijing just prior to the Olympics is very close to being sorted out.  Ashley wants it to open more opportunities for sportswear sales, Spurs want it for the benefit of the sponsors, Mansion, and both clubs want it to expand their 'brand'.

Win - Win then hopefully