Barton's replacement for Saturday

TRon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest michaelfoster

Can we kidnapp Barton whilst he cant play and lock him up in a secret hideaway, tbf hes going to get locked up anyway so we might aswell save the police some time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tyne/footballfirst/scrapbook/images/milburn_300.jpg

Might get caught offside a bit and be easy to mark but will still be more effective than Barton.

The problem is that we are so thin on the ground in this position with players of any great quality.  Don't forget that Butt picked up an injury this past weekend so it's not 100% sure that he'll be available, but his shortcomings have been overshadowed the past few weeks by the ineptitutde of Barton.

I can see a center midfield this week of Smith / Butt or Smith / Geremi depending on player fitness, which will have Liverpool shitting in their pant's.

We really need to play Oba from the off. Liverpool's defence is not quick by any means. They've also looked very shaky at set pieces of late, so hope our crossing is up to scratch. Pity there's no Emre since Duff has perfected hitting the first man.

Midfield, Christ, I'd probably go for Charlie, Butt, Geremi, Milner.

Jesus.

Is that intentionally ironic?

Emre's by far our best set piece taker. It's not a long list but that's why Beye, Owen and Cacapa have profited this season off the top of my head.

And theirs....

Milner & Butt in the middle, NZogbia & Duff on the wings.

Milners best position is potentially in the middle anyway, but you know you'll get a lot of graft & endeavor while a much better attacking threat than Barton would have provided or Emre, Geremi & Smith will.

Milner alongside Faye. It may mean going with Tayls & Cacapa at the back but lets try & stop the oppo before they get to the defence. Milner has bit of brain about & he may spot some runs in front of them, where Charles head down & charging at the oppo may not work at Anfield.

Milner alongside Faye. It may mean going with Tayls & Cacapa at the back but lets try & stop the oppo before they get to the defence. Milner has bit of brain about & he may spot some runs in front of them, where Charles head down & charging at the oppo may not work at Anfield.

Not bad, but Taylor and Capaca at the back will get crucified by Liverpool's strikers. Faye has to play CB for me, alongside A.N.Other. Preferably Cacapa.

5 in midfield would be good.

Zoggy

Duff Butt Geremi Milner

And then I'd say Martins up front but with Owen being captain, having him up front ain't too bad either.

The only chance we have of getting a point is somehow sneaking a goal and not letting them dominate the midfield. If they do, we'll get played off the park so 5 in midfield should be a big consideration. I thought we did well with this formation against Man Utd away as well (until you know..). At least the first half of that game was very encouraging and Liverpool aren't exactly filled with players like Ronaldo and Tevez who can tear us apart.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tyne/footballfirst/scrapbook/images/milburn_300.jpg

Might get caught offside a bit and be easy to mark but will still be more effective than Barton.

At the minute he seems unable to get out of his own box.

Guest JamesD

I wouldn't mind seeing N'zogbia given a go there, as long as Faye was playing along side him, someone who is committed to defense completely and would better be able to cover for N'zogbia that Butt or Smith. Maybe a diamond midfield would do the trick...

Milner & Butt in the middle, NZogbia & Duff on the wings.

Milners best position is potentially in the middle anyway, but you know you'll get a lot of graft & endeavor while a much better attacking threat than Barton would have provided or Emre, Geremi & Smith will.

Got to agree,think Milner would make a good go of it in the middle

Given

Beye  Taylor  Edgar  Enrique

Milner    Faye  Geremi  Zoggy 

Duff

Martins 

Subs Harper, Cacapa, Lua Lua, Owen, Carroll

The wrong time to drop Owen IMO, he's been getting in good positions and is just a bit of luck away from winning us some games.

I agree. I fancy KK to play Owen and Martins upfront with Smith replacing Barton in midfield btw.

I definitely think Geremi should get a go in the middle. Not near to be good enough. But while Emre is gone he is definitely the best passer of the ball and most imported of all. he do not consider stupid free kicks ala Smith.

If smith is playing in the midfield it would be like playing zog at the back. you know what to expect and that he will make at least one mistake, error, that will turn out to a consided goal.

I will definitely want to try geremi. Then a think I would play Butt just to have Faye at the back which I think is needed. I also think that it can be time to try Edgar instead of a I-love-to-block-balls-but-always-screw-it-up Taylor in the middle.

I would like to see Carroll or Martins beside Owen in the future. But since Smith has played upfront in the previous five games I think he can play this to. This is just the kind of games he is good at. Hunt down the defence and dont give them a rest. I think  that can be an importend think at the game.

I would play

Harper

Carr - Edgar - Faye - Enrique

Milner - Geremi - Butt - Duff

Smith - Owen

I both love and hate Martins. I wish he would have a better understanding for the game since he can only play for him self. Owen has a fantastic understanding and it is just sad to see Martins. This is way I am not sure if Martins should play.

But. What the hack! Martins is a lovely player so give him and Owen the rest of the season to prove them self. If not. I think one of them can go in the summer.

Guest teepee

The wrong time to drop Owen IMO, he's been getting in good positions and is just a bit of luck away from winning us some games.

I agree. I fancy KK to play Owen and Martins upfront with Smith replacing Barton in midfield btw.

if he plays a diamond this isn't the worst option either - then smith will be able to win a few headers, and we'd have oba and owen putting pressure on their defenders (no one cares to mark smith as he'll never score anyway)

i'm for milner at the head of a diamond, oba and owen up front, butt/zog/faye as the other 3 in midfield

milner is comfortable enough on the ball and a decent enough passer (lets ignore crossing) to look for passes that utilise obas pace and owens runs

he's also got the work rate we'd need playing that formation

Canny idea. I think you could play Duff there too. Better there than out wide imo.

aye true...thought about zog but he runs into too many blind alleys, i'd fancy milner or duff to jink past the first man then look for a pass 'cause they know they'd be stuck, zog doesn't have that he thinks he can beat 'em all

i seem to remember under souness milner played a pre season "up front" (kind of off the striker) due to us lacking anyone else and he had a nice little knack of coming in on late runs and scoring, looked like he had potential there to me

me too...if someone has the vision to put him there soon he might settle into it, play a beardsley role although he'd never get that good of course

he's also got a decent shot as we've seen, played more central we might get more out of it...

milner middle, zog left and a pacey right winger has potential if you ask me