"stop writing shite on message boards" say .com

Happy Face

I don't think they would like, but the lads from nufc.com or anyone else who hold up forums as the devil of opinion should join a forum and they'd then soon understand what forums are all about which would then give them a far better understanding of them and those that use them and with it their own brethren too. As a website developer it does piss me off that there seems to be such a negative opinion of forums in general. In a world full of bullshit and lies, a forum is the most honest of places because it allows people to have an honest view without any real kind of comeback. Some people actually find this dangerous, but I find it liberating and far more in line with reality, oddly given the virtual medium such opinions are voiced over. People will say what they think, or write about what they (or others) dare not think about. I.e. KK walking, Ashley fucking off, hence such threads. It may be bollocks, but it's honest bollocks and we must embrace that rather than mistrust it or try and dumb it down in my opinion.

I find this place truly irritating at times, moronic, cretinous and whatever other insult I could use to describe half the things I read on it. But I wouldn't have it any other way. Where else could you say what the hell you like, or touch on things on your mind, like Newcastle going down being a potential blessing in disguise. Say that at the match and you'd get slapped or looked at as if you're a criminal. Say it on here and a debate pops up about it. Yet, and this is the real irony, I bet every Toon fan out there, nufc.com included, have asked themselves the very same question or thought about it for a brief second.

Fuck it, I retract my comments above in the post I made above regarding 100% unconditional support and positivity. Carry on posting whatever you like, saying whatever you like. If people don't like it, tough. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO READ IT/POST A REPLY. It doesn't have to bother you. If it does and badly so, then SAY SO. And to be fair to Nufc.com, that's exactly what they've done haven't they? What we are all doing really.

Anyway I kind of view forums like a boozer, the best place to let off steam especially where football and the Toon are concerned, again I'd far rather places like this being used for that than the match itself and for the more controversial of subjects and opinions, well, just like the BNP, gays, religion et al, what people do in their own homes is their own business so long as they don't force their views or whatever on me which takes me back to this: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO READ IT/POST A REPLY. It doesn't have to bother you. If it does and badly so, then SAY SO.

I don't think they do see forums as the devils work as a whole.  Only when they do the mackems job for them like here and here and here and here and here and here as just a few examples on page 1.

The pub comparison is good, I don't mind people talking shite in the pub.....because there's only a few people within earshot and you tell them to shut the fuck up, laugh in their face and move on.  On here it gets dragged out interminably and is far more visible to opposition fans and (potentially) media who then come up with shite like this I received today....

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/8773/39336652pt8.jpg

I don't think they would like, but the lads from nufc.com or anyone else who hold up forums as the devil of opinion should join a forum and they'd then soon understand what forums are all about which would then give them a far better understanding of them and those that use them and with it their own brethren too. As a website developer it does piss me off that there seems to be such a negative opinion of forums in general. In a world full of bullshit and lies, a forum is the most honest of places because it allows people to have an honest view without any real kind of comeback. Some people actually find this dangerous, but I find it liberating and far more in line with reality, oddly given the virtual medium such opinions are voiced over. People will say what they think, or write about what they (or others) dare not think about. I.e. KK walking, Ashley fucking off, hence such threads. It may be bollocks, but it's honest bollocks and we must embrace that rather than mistrust it or try and dumb it down in my opinion.

I find this place truly irritating at times, moronic, cretinous and whatever other insult I could use to describe half the things I read on it. But I wouldn't have it any other way. Where else could you say what the hell you like, or touch on things on your mind, like Newcastle going down being a potential blessing in disguise. Say that at the match and you'd get slapped or looked at as if you're a criminal. Say it on here and a debate pops up about it. Yet, and this is the real irony, I bet every Toon fan out there, nufc.com included, have asked themselves the very same question or thought about it for a brief second.

Fuck it, I retract my comments above in the post I made above regarding 100% unconditional support and positivity. Carry on posting whatever you like, saying whatever you like. If people don't like it, tough. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO READ IT/POST A REPLY. It doesn't have to bother you. If it does and badly so, then SAY SO. And to be fair to Nufc.com, that's exactly what they've done haven't they? What we are all doing really.

Anyway I kind of view forums like a boozer, the best place to let off steam especially where football and the Toon are concerned, again I'd far rather places like this being used for that than the match itself and for the more controversial of subjects and opinions, well, just like the BNP, gays, religion et al, what people do in their own homes is their own business so long as they don't force their views or whatever on me which takes me back to this: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO READ IT/POST A REPLY. It doesn't have to bother you. If it does and badly so, then SAY SO.

I don't think they do see forums as the devils work as a whole.  Only when they do the mackems job for them like here and here and here and here and here and here as just a few examples on page 1.

The pub comparison is good, I don't mind people talking shite in the pub.....because there's only a few people within earshot and you tell them to shut the fuck up, laugh in their face and move on.  On here it gets dragged out interminably and is far more visible to opposition fans and (potentially) media who then come up with shite like this I received today....

Only been doing the rounds since before Jesus was born.

Water off a ducks back for most, i can't see why you'd get so worked up over it tbh.

And the ironic thing is now, you've brought it to attention of everyone by posting it up.  :lol:

I'm not particularly worked up.  Thus it is and always has been.....since the internets started.

I just agree with .com and cringe when I see supposed supporters of the club bitching rather than making the best of a situation.

If people realise they're a laughing stock why don't they stop spouting shite about seeing the back of Keegan and take what pressure they can off his back so we don't end up with another one going through the turnstyles placed in the doorway of the managers office.

I'm not particularly worked up.  Thus it is and always has been.....since the internets started.

I just agree with .com and cringe when I see supposed supporters of the club bitching rather than making the best of a situation.

If people realise they're a laughing stock why don't they stop spouting shite about seeing the back of Keegan and take what pressure they can off his back so we don't end up with another one going through the turnstyles placed in the doorway of the managers office.

People cannot help how they feel. They've a right to be pissed off the way this season has panned out, and they've a right to come on a message board and say what the fuk they like without the thought police looking down their noses telling them what they can and can't do. For that reason alone i do not agree with .com, its an absolute joke they'll have a pop at the fans, yet not say boo to a goose to and about those who have made the fans react in the negative way they have.

People cannot help how they feel. They've a right to be pissed off the way this season has panned out, and they've a right to come on a message board and say what the fuk they like without the thought police looking down their noses telling them what they can and can't do. For that reason alone i do not agree with .com, its an absolute joke they'll have a pop at the fans, yet not say boo to a goose to and about those who have made the fans react in the negative way they have.

The season hasn't panned out yet.  That's their point.

We can try to have a positive effect on how it pans out or we can continue to not sell out our games, boo them off and castigate the manager on here.

I'd rather be a supporter in a literal sense.

So it's ok to openly criticise players, the atmosphere, etc. on their own website, but it's not okay to do the same on message boards, radio, etc?

Rightio.

Criticising players and fans performances at games isn't really talking shite though is it.  Both have been abysmal.

We can try to have a positive effect on how it pans out or we can continue to not sell out our games, boo them off and castigate the manager on here.

Can't wait to see you in your Alan Smith mask when you next go to a game.

I support the shirt, not the man.

When Alan Smith fills one of those shirts every game without fail or form you must support him too. Can't support a part of the club, you must support it as a whole warts and all or the argument fails imo.

Guest Knightrider

If the media (or any other) are intent on stirring shite, which they often are where our club and us as fans are concerned (hence the "hate" thread) then they will do so irrespective of what is or isn't being posted by fans on a message board. They will find a way or a means from an alternative source if they have to like they always have and always will. In short you can't really stop them. But all isn't lost because you can certainly challenge them by using the power of this medium - the internet and N.O. The main site for example is a good outlet to challenge media views. Indeed I consider this site's challenge of the Chronicle/Oliver on the main site over the years to have had an influence on that paper and fans in general. I've certainly detected a shift in the Chronicle's thinking where NUFC is concerned. They have opened up to fans and allowed fans a bigger platform to have their say, to go along with their own editorial/reporting say, in recent times. Whether this is down to moving with the times or actually listening to fans/criticism and seeing how places like this have changed how fans view and follow the club, who knows. It's probably a bit of both.

Then there was the Hitzfeld campaign. As laughable as it ended up being, it in essence showed the power of this medium and what fans can do to counter others' opposing views (for Newcastle the no foreigner as manager thing and a demonstration that we needed a top manager and not, as it sadly turned out, another turd (Roeder)).

The way I look at it we have a number of options. We can ignore it fully which most do anyway. We can rise above it (remember the atmosphere against Arsenal at SJP? A direct response to the bashing fans were getting from the media). We can challenge it (by debunking things on here and the main site) or we can laugh along with it as I did at the OXO parody above. If we moderate ourselves in accordance, then the bastards win. Why should we censor ourselves that way?

We all have to remember that Newcastle United is something we all love and care about deeply and that the kind of illogical emotion it takes to follow this club will from time to time bring out the worst and darkest from us (the kind of views and reactions you linked in your post), especially at times like this. I'd be worried if it didn't. Passions run high in this city which only has this one club. You can't keep a lid on that or expect it to moderate and censor itself for no-one.

Lets face it, despite Nufc.com's sentiments which I think we all agree with deep down, even those that started some of the threads they are bemoaning, are preaching to the converted. When the crunch comes to the crunch, we will be very much united and always have been to be honest, if only loosely at times. Remember the Semi-Final defeat to Man Utd at Cardiff and fans' reaction to that? When questions get asked of us, we answer them without fail, often without provocation.

I may not trust my club to turn up, or rather those representing us, when the chips are down, but I trust my fellow fans. We'll be there as ever, you can put your money on that. That's something no amount of message board bull shit or media shit stirring will ever be able to influence and people need to remember that.

When Alan Smith fills one of those shirts every game without fail or form you must support him too. Can't support a part of the club, you must support it as a whole warts and all or the argument fails imo.

Absoloutley.  That's exactly what I meant.

I'm sure when (if?) he notches his first goal you'll sit on your hands and steadfastly refuse to celebrate because he scored it....even if it were an overhead volley to confirm our safety.

I'm sure when (if?) he notches his first goal you'll sit on your hands and steadfastly refuse to celebrate because he scored it....even if it were an overhead volley to confirm our safety.

FYP

Who cares what the media or other fans think about what we say in message boards? If other people consider Newcastle a laughing stock, it's not because of what's being said on some message board.

These are places for free speech and conversations amongst people who have a mutual interest in Newcastle United. People are entitled to their opinions, regardless of what they're based on. Anyone who thinks that what is said here has any bearing on the club or anything in the real world need to relax.

FYP

emphasised, more than fixed.  O0

If the media (or any other) are intent on stirring shite, which they often are where our club and us as fans are concerned (hence the "hate" thread) then they will do so irrespective of what is or isn't being posted by fans on a message board. They will find a way or a means from an alternative source if they have to like they always have and always will. In short you can't really stop them. But all isn't lost because you can certainly challenge them by using the power of this medium - the internet and N.O. The main site for example is a good outlet to challenge media views. Indeed I consider this site's challenge of the Chronicle/Oliver on the main site over the years to have had an influence on that paper and fans in general. I've certainly detected a shift in the Chronicle's thinking where NUFC is concerned. They have opened up to fans and allowed fans a bigger platform to have their say, to go along with their own editorial/reporting say, in recent times. Whether this is down to moving with the times or actually listening to fans/criticism and seeing how places like this have changed how fans view and follow the club, who knows. It's probably a bit of both.

Then there was the Hitzfeld campaign. As laughable as it ended up being, it in essence showed the power of this medium and what fans can do to counter others' opposing views (for Newcastle the no foreigner as manager thing and a demonstration that we needed a top manager and not, as it sadly turned out, another turd (Roeder)).

The way I look at it we have a number of options. We can ignore it fully which most do anyway. We can rise above it (remember the atmosphere against Arsenal at SJP? A direct response to the bashing fans were getting from the media). We can challenge it (by debunking things on here and the main site) or we can laugh along with it as I did at the OXO parody above. If we moderate ourselves in accordance, then the bastards win. Why should we censor ourselves that way?

We all have to remember that Newcastle United is something we all love and care about deeply and that the kind of illogical emotion it takes to follow this club will from time to time bring out the worst and darkest from us (the kind of views and reactions you linked in your post), especially at times like this. I'd be worried if it didn't. Passions run high in this city which only has this one club. You can't keep a lid on that or expect it to moderate and censor itself for no-one.

Lets face it, despite Nufc.com's sentiments which I think we all agree with deep down, even those that started some of the threads they are bemoaning, are preaching to the converted. When the crunch comes to the crunch, we will be very much united and always have been to be honest, if only loosely at times. Remember the Semi-Final defeat to Man Utd at Cardiff and fans' reaction to that? When questions get asked of us, we answer them without fail, often without provocation.

I may not trust my club to turn up, or rather those representing us, when the chips are down, but I trust my fellow fans. We'll be there as ever, you can put your money on that. That's something no amount of message board bull shit or media shit stirring will ever be able to influence and people need to remember that.

So this place is to blame for the sodding peoples panel or whatever it's called in the Ronnie  :angry:

O0

We'd already had (and welcomed) a foreign manager way before the Hitzfeld campaign though.

I love the sentiment of the rest of your post, sadly I don't agree 100%, especially when I see substitutions being booed at the game.

If Smith scores the goal that keeps us up then great, i'd be delighted, but it wouldn't make him a great player.

If KK keeps us up it doesn't mean the timing of his appointment wasn't bad and or the fact he couldn't sign anyone in such an important window was the right thing to do.

No matter what we say or do on a message board about any of those things has nil effect on the outcomes and possible scenarios. Pitch side is different, that's the only time and place it can effect the players.

If the players read the papers and take it to heart then we'd be out of business a long time ago, and whatever vibe or feeling the vultures can get from a message board in reality means fuk all to what they can and will print.

I get the point about the season not being over and we need to get behind the team, fair do's, but we've needed to get behind the team a lot better for years, problem is, there is no team to get behind anymore, just a collection of players 90% of the fans either hate or have had enough of.

How can you support something you detest? I find it difficult.

I have to say that I do agree with their sentiments. The team needs support more now than it has done for a long time.

Call it blinkered, but I struggle to criticise blokes who attend all the matches that they do and who write so accurately and convincingly about our club after every high and low. Their dedication to covering NUFC is unrivaled and I've got nothing but admiration for their website.

However, I can see why these comments have got some of us up a height (message board users, eh?), but they're entitled to their opinion, just like the rest of us are.

My two pennies, for what they're worth.

If Smith scores the goal that keeps us up then great, i'd be delighted, but it wouldn't make him a great player.

If KK keeps us up it doesn't mean the timing of his appointment wasn't bad and or the fact he couldn't sign anyone in such an important window was the right thing to do.

No matter what we say or do on a message board about any of those things has nil effect on the outcomes and possible scenarios. Pitch side is different, that's the only time and place it can effect the players.

If the players read the papers and take it to heart then we'd be out of business a long time ago, and whatever vibe or feeling the vultures can get from a message board in reality means fuk all to what they can and will print.

I get the point about the season not being over and we need to get behind the team, fair do's, but we've needed to get behind the team a lot better for years, problem is, there is no team to get behind anymore, just a collection of players 90% of the fans either hate or have had enough of.

Then stop.

Personally, I've never been more eager to get to games and try to lift the spirits of the players and fellow supporters.  And I've never been less keen on giving the club shit on radio, SSN or forums, especially when they're so keen for us to do it.

Then stop.

Personally, I've never been more eager to get to games and try to lift the spirits of the players and fellow supporters.  And I've never been less keen on giving the club shit on radio, SSN or forums, especially when they're so keen for us to do it.

Agree with this as well, although I was initially struggling in our last home game... didn't take long for me to get sucked into it though.

I'm not sure I even like one of our players - I don't mind Beye or Faye, actually - but like HF said, it's the shirt you're supporting.

It is difficult at times though, because some of the people who wear the shirt are utter cunts. EDIT: Not Alan Smith though. Bar being as bad as Baggio predicted, the lad hasn't done anything in particular to make me dislike him.

Guest Knightrider

So this place is to blame for the sodding peoples panel or whatever it's called in the Ronnie  :angry:

O0

We'd already had (and welcomed) a foreign manager way before the Hitzfeld campaign though.

I love the sentiment of the rest of your post, sadly I don't agree 100%, especially when I see substitutions being booed at the game.

The peoples panel has been around for a few years if I remember rightly so I think maybe that's one of a first for the Ronnie, an exclusive :D They have added forums, blogs and text messages to their medium in the past 18 months though which I'm inclined to believe is something they've been forced to do as I sure know the maintenance of such systems are loss runners so it's not something that that has been done to make them more money put it this way. Demand is what's responsible, if not internally from their own readership then externally from the growing popularity of platforms such as N.O. Hell, it might even determine their survival in the coming future as the world connects to the web more and more for every day things. I had a good discussion with one of their developers a while back and they were very concerned of the technological demands being placed on them. If I was asked to make a prediction now about their future I don't fancy their chances to be honest. And good, as they stopped supporting this club years ago.

We did have a foreign manager in Gullit and Ossie before him but under Shepherd and his cronies at the Chronicle, "why would we want some foreigner in charge"? Apparently. That's who the foreign message from the Hitzfeld thing was aimed at. An attempt to say, "how can you say that when look what this one foreign guy has won", which pissed all over the Geordie boy Steve Bruce, Glenn he knows the area Roeder, Sir Alan Shearer of Newcastle et als of this xenophobic/parochial Shepherd/Oliver wonderland.

As for booing any player in Black & White, it's pathetic, but I doubt what gets posted or doesn't on a message board influences that particular behaviour.

If anything, Nufc.com would be better advised to direct their disapproval towards those fans. And on that note, if it's anyone who is going to let the side down so to speak, it will be a match day going season ticket holder and not somone "who doesn't even go to the match"...

Hopefully not though, eh.

O0

The peoples panel has been around for a few years if I remember rightly so I think maybe that's one of a first for the Ronnie, an exclusive :D They have added forums, blogs and text messages to their medium in the past 18 months though which I'm inclined to believe is something they've been forced to do as I sure know the maintenance of such systems are loss runners so it's not something that that has been done to make them more money put it this way. Demand is what's responsible, if not internally from their own readership then externally from the growing popularity of platforms such as N.O. Hell, it might even determine their survival in the coming future as the world connects to the web more and more for every day things. I had a good discussion with one of their developers a while back and they were very concerned of the technological demands being placed on them. If I was asked to make a prediction now about their future I don't fancy their chances to be honest. And good, as they stopped supporting this club years ago.

We did have a foreign manager in Gullit and Ossie before him but under Shepherd and his cronies at the Chronicle, "why would we want some foreigner in charge"? Apparently. That's who the foreign message from the Hitzfeld thing was aimed at. An attempt to say, "how can you say that when look what this one foreign guy has won", which pissed all over the Geordie boy Steve Bruce, Glenn he knows the area Roeder, Sir Alan Shearer of Newcastle et als of this xenophobic/parochial Shepherd/Oliver wonderland.

As for booing any player in Black & White, it's pathetic, but I doubt what gets posted or doesn't on a message board influences that particular behaviour.

If anything, Nufc.com would be better advised to direct their disapproval towards those fans. And on that note, if it's anyone who is going to let the side down so to speak, it will be a match day going season ticket holder and not somone "who doesn't even go to the match"...

Hopefully not though, eh.

I think the death of the Pink probably shows the dwindling support they get from football fans round these parts.

Guest Knightrider

I have to say that's how I think now and it's a wonderful spin on all the shite so top marks. I'm naturally a positive person anyway thankfully but I'm on overdrive at the moment where NUFC is concerned. I'm preaching easy survival every day at work, decorating the work place with Toon stuff and even when I go to the bog I chant a few N and an E and a W C.... Newcastle United FCs to myself, as if to reaffirm something :D

"Reckon we'll stay up"?

Me - "whey aye, nee bother"

And we will. That's not bravado. I am convinced and believe we will. I wasn't the other day mind but I had a word with myself.

We'll beat Birmingham.