The official I Love NUFC thread

Guest Knightrider

Sure I'll get all the 'outsider' stuff again for this, but I absolutely adore coming up on the train before a game, meeting with some of you lot for a pint, then walking up to SJP. It'll never, EVER lose its appeal. Our ground is bloody gorgeous.

Agree with seeing the ground as walk up to it. Used to go up for a week or so every summer and the afternoon at St James' was literally the only reason why I went, quality. The 2-0 to 3-2 at Loftus road was good too.

People forget he was devastated to learn he was leaving Newcastle and was hoping it would break down so he could return. It didn't of course and he want on to win a shit load, but I'll tell you what, I don't think he enjoyed his football as much after he left us. He was a free spirit here, he was a cog in a machine at Man Utd. At Man Utd he was moody and sullen looking, at Newcastle he couldn't stop grinning and him and Clarkie, their celebration when either scored... that's the imprint in my mind of that whole '93-94 season. That's how we all felt inside at that time I think. I certainly did. If anyone has a picture of those two celebrating a goal or Cole peeling away after his 40th against Villa, please post. Anyway, Andy Cole  :clap2:

It was that team spirit that had as much to do with the success of the side as anything. Individually you could argue some of the players were not that great, but add in that spirit, the way they enjoyed their football, and it made a BIG difference. Here's hoping we get just some of that back over the next couple of seasons.

Guest Knightrider

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1854/275/1600/06-02-10%20Jackie%20Milburn%20Statue%2003.0.jpg

A matchday ritual of mine. I could be anywhere in Toon and I will go to Wor Jackie on the way there and on the way back to touch the heel of his striking foot uttering "howay Jackie, Toon win the day". I've had to wait my turn to do so many a time. I know he should be outside of SJP, but I quite like him where he's at.

Got to love coming up the stairs and into the stands when the ground is buzzing right before kick off.

Haha, yeah. We were a few minutes late at Anfield last week and I had to walk out and then up to the top while everyone was in the middle of Hey Jude, brilliant.

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

Keegan's goalscoring home debut.

5-0 at home to Man City in the Keegan(player) promotion season, Beardsley got a hat-trick.

Beardsley's chip over Joe Corrigan versus Brighton.

Beardsley's hat-trick at home to the Mackems.

Rambo Reilly's late winner versus Liverpool at St James'

Mirandinha's thunderbolt that hit the bar verus Liverpool, Grobelaar wondering where the fuck that came from (deserved a goal)

Leicester 7-1

Extra time in the FA Cup Semi versus Spurs. The ground was rocking and Shearer took us to Wembley.

Tino's Hat-trick versus Barca

Howay 5-0

The comeback to beat Leicester 4-3 (made even better by me having a bet on a Shearer hat-trick)

Guest Knightrider

People forget he was devastated to learn he was leaving Newcastle and was hoping it would break down so he could return. It didn't of course and he want on to win a shit load, but I'll tell you what, I don't think he enjoyed his football as much after he left us. He was a free spirit here, he was a cog in a machine at Man Utd. At Man Utd he was moody and sullen looking, at Newcastle he couldn't stop grinning and him and Clarkie, their celebration when either scored... that's the imprint in my mind of that whole '93-94 season. That's how we all felt inside at that time I think. I certainly did. If anyone has a picture of those two celebrating a goal or Cole peeling away after his 40th against Villa, please post. Anyway, Andy Cole  :clap2:

It was that team spirit that had as much to do with the success of the side as anything. Individually you could argue some of the players were not that great, but add in that spirit, the way they enjoyed their football, and it made a BIG difference. Here's hoping we get just some of that back over the next couple of seasons.

That team reminds me of how we played as kids, that's the link. So free, full of expression. It must have been great for the players, I've heard one or two of the say actually it was like being a kid again, playing football for the sheer fun of it with no restriction. If KK can tap back into that he will entice many a player here because at the end of the day, they just lopve to play, especially the better players. That's why Rooney says he enjoys training more than matches as he's free and can play like a kid again doing his tricks, scoring ridiculous goals. A lot of older players bemona how the matches often passed them by and that it's the training the miss the most. I agree, the spirit is what made that team and era, from players to fans, just so uplifiting.

Keegan's goalscoring home debut.

5-0 at home to Man City in the Keegan(player) promotion season, Beardsley got a hat-trick.

Beardsley's chip over Joe Corrigan versus Brighton.

Beardsley's hat-trick at home to the Mackems.

Rambo Reilly's late winner versus Liverpool at St James'

Mirandinha's thunderbolt that hit the bar verus Liverpool, Grobelaar wondering where the f*** that came from (deserved a goal)

Leicester 7-1

Extra time in the FA Cup Semi versus Spurs. The ground was rocking and Shearer took us to Wembley.

Tino's Hat-trick versus Barca

Howay 5-0

The comeback to beat Leicester 4-3 (made even better by me having a bet on a Shearer hat-trick)

Was it Beardsley who scored at home against Carlisle when we had a penalty against us and we saved it, only to go straight up the other end and bury it? 

Guest Knightrider

Ever walked past SJP in the fog on a morning when it's all dark and you can barely see past 20 yards? I swear you can hear the crowd and it's quite spooky how SJP stands in such a setting, medieval church like on those old horror films with the mist covering the graveyard.

Guest Knightrider

How class is the view btw if you're ever walking through Leazes Park on a summer day?

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/1193/20070720196vr8.th.jpg

That pic there takes me back. We were playing football behind SJP on the night we beat Bolton 3-1 away in 95, listening to the match on the radio. If I remember right, we went to the top of the table that night and we stayed there for the most part. I remember it being a warm evening, very cool, with a red sky.

where the fuck to start,for a start off it's not "love" in that way,more of a brother that you love but can hate and want to hurt but have 100% loyalty to and is involved in every period of your growing.

memories......too many,these stand out.

3-0 up at home to liverpool after about 30mins, 74-75 (4-1ft) and wondering...why can't we do this all the time,aged 8

the malty smell from the breweries at night matches

3-1 new years day and 3-1 new years day

the looks on the faces of locals when NUFC came to town in the 80's wilderness years.

me and eddie (my dads mate) getting laughed at in the club for saying things are changing and we'll be challenging soon (back then everyone would ask about "your team"....."what happened to your team yesterday?"..within months it was "we"...."we can win this league".....fickle bastards than as now for too many)

why i reallly have this thing for NUFC (and football) is through the shitty times...school worries..no job worries..relationship breakdowns...nightmare pregnancies...parentsl illnesses....NUFC and football have gave me respite. the outside is shut out,all the worries disappear and only the football matters for that little while.............in truth NUFC is my respite from the real world.

How class is the view btw if you're ever walking through Leazes Park on a summer day?

That pic there takes me back. We were playing football behind SJP on the night we beat Bolton 3-1 away in 95, listening to the match on the radio. If I remember right, we went to the top of the table that night and we stayed there for the most part. I remember it being a warm evening, very cool, with a red sky.

i was there..it was the ginola and neil cox night,the night when english eyes were opened to what ginola could do.

3-0 up at home to liverpool after about 30mins, 74-75 (4-1ft) and wondering...why can't we do this all the time,aged 8

I'm trying to remember the point when I stopped praying for goal.  Literally bowing my head closing my eyes tight and doing deals with god like "Just let us score and I'll do my homework".  I was convinced he'd listen, being merciful and that.

Guest Knightrider

When we beat Breda 5-0 a few years back was special, first time my two nephews went together, my youngest, then 4 I think, lost his voice almost through singing and I got a telling off from his mother when I dropped him off.

Another time with the bairn was when he dropped his camera from L7 down below and he dragged me through the guts of SJP to get it back, after traipsing about for what seemed like a half hour, we eventually came to a box and some bloke said he caught it, so we got it back. The bairn was sliding on the floors in SJP as they do, and a security mush said in a joking way you'll not play for Newcastle if you don't stop sliding around and he replied "aye I will because I'm a Geordie". It was the way he said it though :D SJP is like a mini-city inside, so much going on, huge and like a maze.

Guest Knightrider

Sir Les scored a class header that night and that goal when he just bulldozed through their defence sending one of their defenders on his arse while trying to catch him.

Following day Nat Lofthouse raved about it in the papers and his performance, a must for England and all that and how he'd lead us to the title.

Guest Knightrider

i was there..it was the ginola and neil cox night,the night when english eyes were opened to what ginola could do.

There was this weirdo hanging around us like come to think of it...

;)

Guest Knightrider

why i reallly have this thing for NUFC (and football) is through the shitty times...school worries..no job worries..relationship breakdowns...nightmare pregnancies...parentsl illnesses....NUFC and football have gave me respite. the outside is shut out,all the worries disappear and only the football matters for that little while.............in truth NUFC is my respite from the real world.

It's different with me, some of my best times have coincided with some of NUFC's best times and the two merged is pretty special stuff.

Guest Knightrider

Some of my best memories came via radio. As a kid I always looked forward to talking about the football with mates following a weekend win as was the norm for us back then. MOTD was also much better then and it was required watching.