Birmingham City 1 - 1 Newcastle - 17/03/08 - post match reaction from page 28

Dave

im sorry but we were s***

Yes, perhaps you're failing to take into account the fact that we are, in general, quite s***.

What are you expecting from this lot of players?

im expecting them to pick a pass.... and deliver it ... competantly

Come on man. Players confidence is shot to s***.

One step at a time. We got a point and move on to Fulham. Get 3 at home to them on Saturday and we will begin to see the players basic technical ability getting back to normal standards

I dont want to make excuses for them because I get frustrated at the lack of basic skill as much as anyone, but the lack of confidence has to be taken into consideration. Also coupled with a huge fear factor tonight - dont under-estimate the pressure on them out there tonight

that dont matter anymore... big fuckin' hairy balls does... nowt less.... this team aint got fuck all like that

waiting for the news tomorrow which will explain why KK subbed Martins... he will explain it that's for sure

He said it was to keep the shape a little better, no reflection on how Martins played, he praised him.

Even joked about not daring to sub him again.

Can't underestimate how much I hated the 4-3-3 formation tonight.

So many round pegs in square holes the players really struggled in the system with the lack of width, movement and options when in possession we had to fire so many long awful aimless high balls giving away possession time and time again it was like Allardyce had returned to pick the team for the night.

With the return of Keegan I thought at least he would pick a consistent 4-4-2 system, players would finally get there chance to play in there best positions and be given a consistent and fair run in the team with us then starting to create some strong partnerships in the side something thats vital for any good side but most of all get the players would get there chance to go and play some form of enjoyable good football all something that could never of happened in a Allarydice regime.

If we are actually going to win the vital 5 games for us to stay up then Keegan needs to return his philosophies that made him successful not that disgusting form of football we saw tonight. 

With Milner out and Damien Duff being exposed as an impostor in Premier League football, we didn't have the players necessary to play the 4-4-2 effectively tonight though.

This is Allardyce's squad at the end of the day, and Keegan has to put out the best team he can now if we're going to avoid relegation. Sure the system wasn't perfect tonight but it was an eternity better than the psychopathically defensive, negative teams we've been sending out in away games this season under Allardyce. We were actually set up to have a bit of a go and while it wasn't ideally balanced, we did OK at a very difficult place to go.

When Keegan can build his own team, you'll see a lot more width. That you can be assured of.

will it matter when we're playing stoke?

OK, so what do you suggest then?

Other than the plan of passing the ball competantly, of course.

jesus! if they passed it better, they might find the route to goal?

waiting for the news tomorrow which will explain why KK subbed Martins... he will explain it that's for sure

Even joked about not daring to sub him again.

He told the BBC he could have martins as he was taller than him..

Yes, perhaps you're failing to take into account the fact that we are, in general, quite s***.

One step at a time. We got a point and move on to Fulham. Get 3 at home to them on Saturday and we will begin to see the players basic technical ability getting back to normal standards

I dont want to make excuses for them because I get frustrated at the lack of basic skill as much as anyone, but the lack of confidence has to be taken into consideration. Also coupled with a huge fear factor tonight - dont under-estimate the pressure on them out there tonight

that dont matter anymore... big fuckin' hairy balls does... nowt less.... this team aint got fuck all like that

Eh ?

that dont matter anymore... big fuckin' hairy balls does... nowt less.... this team aint got f*** all like that

Eh ?

wot i mean is i dont think we can pull it off

Guest Brummiemag

Been to the game and whilst the first half was very poor I was really encouraged by the way we came out and played second half and to be honest I wasnt expecting us to improve. For once they showed some spirit.  We created chances and should have won the game.  If we play like we did in the second half for the rest of the season we will be ok. We just need that first elusive victory to turn things round. 

So many round pegs in square holes the players really struggled in the system with the lack of width, movement and options when in possession we had to fire so many long awful aimless high balls giving away possession time and time again it was like Allardyce had returned to pick the team for the night.

With the return of Keegan I thought at least he would pick a consistent 4-4-2 system, players would finally get there chance to play in there best positions and be given a consistent and fair run in the team with us then starting to create some strong partnerships in the side something thats vital for any good side but most of all get the players would get there chance to go and play some form of enjoyable good football all something that could never of happened in a Allarydice regime.

If we are actually going to win the vital 5 games for us to stay up then Keegan needs to return his philosophies that made him successful not that disgusting form of football we saw tonight. 

With Milner out and Damien Duff being exposed as an impostor in Premier League football, we didn't have the players necessary to play the 4-4-2 effectively tonight though.

This is Allardyce's squad at the end of the day, and Keegan has to put out the best team he can now if we're going to avoid relegation. Sure the system wasn't perfect tonight but it was an eternity better than the psychopathically defensive, negative teams we've been sending out in away games this season under Allardyce. We were actually set up to have a bit of a go and while it wasn't ideally balanced, we did OK at a very difficult place to go.

When Keegan can build his own team, you'll see a lot more width. That you can be assured of.

"Alright lads, the problem has been that the last few games we haven't passed the ball very well. So the gameplan today is to pass the ball better, OK?"

Problem sorted.

"Alright lads, the problem has been that the last few games we haven't passed the ball very well. So the gameplan today is to pass the ball better, OK?"

Problem sorted.

might help like... just a suggestion

Problem sorted.

:lol:

What a waste of 13 minutes that was.

Very pleased considering we went a goal behind again and looked like we were going to fold like a pack of cards...again!But we didnt and fair play to Kev,he must have said something right to them at half time cos we looked like a totally different team!Taking Oba off was wrong,his pace was worrying them but  he handled the situation well when Oba was whinging,most managers would have ignored him but in stead Kev kept a cool head and give him a bit of a cuddle! :love:

Considering Chelsea are the only team to beat Brum in there home turf since Mcleish toke over shows that coming away with a point aint bad at all and If we beat Fulham at home next it will be a great result!Get in,first time in a long time Im feeling positive!Just hope we dont ruin it Sat by failing to beat Fulham!

Problem sorted.

:lol:

What a waste of 13 minutes that was.

passing the ball to your team mate is stupid though.. right?

The thread seems strangely void of (m)any "Well done Kevin for dropping Alan Smith" comments

EDIT: Post Match comments

Why should he get praise for doing the obvious?

Because I think some people doubted that he ever would and doubted that he had the ability to see what was going wrong. I just felt that with all the anti-smith stuff spoken about, it might have got more of a mention and about how it affected the team in general

Hopefully puts the contract thing to bed too

Because I think some people doubted that he ever would and doubted that he had the ability to see what was going wrong. I just felt that with all the anti-smith stuff spoken about, it might have got more of a mention and about how it affected the team in general

I honestly didn't expect him to drop both Smith and Duff, he does deserve a  :thup:

I honestly didn't expect him to drop both Smith and Duff, he does deserve a  :thup:

Was definitely a bold move.

Am loving how both Sky and the BBC are failing to see any positives in our performance (in light of how we usually collapse when going a goal behind) and instead are choosing to go along the "Newcastle STILL havent won under Keegan since his return" line.

Am loving how both Sky and the BBC are failing to see any positives in our performance (in light of how we usually collapse when going a goal behind) and instead are choosing to go along the "Newcastle STILL havent won under Keegan since his return" line.

As much as we deserve at the moment.

passing the ball to your team mate is stupid though.. right?

No, it's not.

But thinking that the problem is that the team are simply not aware that good passing would be beneficial to our chances, an impression you seem to be under, is fairly getting there.

Has it entered your mind that just maybe it's not all that easy to open up teams with passing, especially a team like ourselves who lack any real talented playmaker in the middle of the park?

It's not simply a case of showing up and saying "And tonight Matthew we're going to be Brazil 1970."